Best oil for 5k oci's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys. New to the site. I currently have a 2001 Honda Accord ex v6 coupe (one of three cars). I change the oil every 3k-3.5k miles using pennzoil regular dino oil. I would like to extend oci's out to 5k miles. Can I safely do this with regular oil or do I need to swtich to a synthetic blend or full synthetic oil. The car has 95k miles as of now and I perform all maitenance as required by the owners manual. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated. You guys have a great site here... very informative. Also, is it too late to switch to a synthetic at this point?

Depending on your driving habits, the Pennzoil you are currently using is probably capable of 5k oci's. How many miles per year and what kind of driving conditions?

The car is driven under 10k miles a year. But unfortunately most of those miles are very short trips. About 3 miles each way. My concern of course is living in Chicago we have very extreme weather...very cold in the winter,very hot in the summer etc.

I would get an M1 filter, 5qt jug of Mobil 1 EP at WM for $27,and change it once per year every fall. But,that's just me.

You'll probably be fine with 5K/6month intervals on conventional oil. If it were me, I'd do a sample the first 5K change for piece of mind. Fuel dilution would probably be the only thing to worry about.

Look at the uoa's posted .Even the syn oils show as good numbers when run at 5,000 mile oil Change intervals as the regular oils.

I agree, most SM rated oils will do 5k/6 mo but would confirm with UOA. Going with a good synthetic and changing once per year is also a great plan-personal preference. I wouldn't hesitate to change to syn in your car at 95k, if you decide to.

You have options, none of which are wrong unless a UOA says it's wrong. So many oil and filter combos, so little time!

REDDOG

Ask away, we'll help if we can.

A lot of the decision making comes down as much or more to price, how much you enjoy changing oil, product availability, etc, as it does engine protection.

Do you do your own oil changes?

Yes I change my own oil unless for some reason I just cant get to it. Let me ask you as well I also own a 1997 Lumina with 112k miles, picked it up recently from my Aunt so I know the oil was changed religously every 3k miles. Also just changed plugs, air filter,plug wires, and gas filter myself. What oil and Oci's do you guys recommend for that vehicle??? I do seem to have a little oil spotting problem with this car. What do you guys feel about those stop leak products like Bars Stop Leak or HM oils???

Originally Posted By: lou_cypher
The car is driven under 10k miles a year. But unfortunately most of those miles are very short trips. About 3 miles each way. My concern of course is living in Chicago we have very extreme weather...very cold in the winter, very hot in the summer etc.

With mostly short trips, you should stay with 3000-mile oil changes. In the winter, it would take at least 45 minutes to reach operating temperature, and even then your oil would be well under 180F. In the summer, the oil's going to heat up faster and to a higher temperature, but you're still going to need at least 15 minutes to get to operating temperature.

Your problem is not viscosity breakdown, or oil too thin at operating temperatures, because you seldom reach operating temperature. Your problem is moisture in the oil along with gasoline dilution.

Why don't you switch to a seasonal OCI. Use 0W-20 to 5W-20 in the winter (Nov - Apr), and 10W-30 to 15W-40 in the summer (May - Oct). At the rate you're putting on miles, two oil changes per year would be perfect.

Regards, Gary in Sandy Eggo

I have no experience with it myself, but there are quite a few Maxlife fans here. It definately seems to be the most respected HM oil around. I can recall at least a couple who have had good results with it stopping or slowing oil leaks. I have also seen several good UOA's with the Maxlife. Hopefully one of them can give a good recommendation on an oci. What are the driving conditions for the Lumina-miles per year, trip length etc?

I maintain my sister's boyfriend's '99 Kia Sephia and I change it every 5k with Mobil Clean 5000 and a SuperTech filter. So far so good, still running in one piece!
LOL.gif
When I change it, it's still not black, just dark brown.

The Lumina is used pretty much 50 -50 city /highway. Does anybody here use maxlife at 5k mile OCI's? Is Maxlife only come in a synthetic blend?

Last edited:
I'm hoping TallPaul or one of the other Maxlife fans will join in and give some better advice-it seems like it would be ideal for the leak in your Lumina. I seem to recall seeing the syn blend go for 7500 miles or so with great results in one application.

So it sounds to me then, that Maxlife could be an ideal oil to use in both of my cars to increase my OCI's to 5k miles. My Honda 3.0L V6 currently has 95k miles and the Lumina 3.1L V6 currently has 112k miles.

I would think that would work very well-I would assume given your climate the 5w-30 would be the way to go. How cold does Chicago get in the winter?

It can get below zero here in Chicago in the winter. But pretty much stays in the teens here at night all winter or about 3 long, long, months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back