10w30 in ford 4.6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
anybody out there that has had problems running 10w30 dino in their modular motor that calls for 5w20? they say 5w30 its ok but advise not to use 10w30.

IN NC, 10w30 should be fine.

I also disagree with anythign heavier being "trouble". I'm running 5w40 Shell Rotella T Syn in my '99 F150 with the 4.6 right now. As we head into winter it makes no foreign noises as compared to when it was running 5w20 or 5w30. It does guzzle gas though! The UOA and discussion is in the UOA section if you want more details...

Also plenty of fleet operations that use a HD FLeet motor oil to cover both diesel and gas engines, generally in 15w40 or 10w30 flavors.

I run 10W-30 in all four of my Ford modular engines without the slightest bit of trouble. In fact, I think they prefer it over the 5W-30 I previously used.

I use 10W30 in all my cars and my customers cars here in NC. No problems.
smile.gif

Why not just run the new SM Motorcraft 5W-30. It's now a "synthetic blend" like the Motorcraft 5W-20 has been all along. The 10W-30 is not as of yet. Using the 10W-30 you MAY cause some more start up wear and use extra fuel. But in all honesty the truck will be long gone before it matters
wink.gif
. Plus the Motorcraft oils are a true bargain at Walmart for $1.42/qt.

Whimsey

I don't really know why you would want to when we have seen so many good UOA's from Ford's modular V8's using thinner oils.

Anyway, the answer to your question - no it shouldn't be a problem. I used to work for a company that ran dino Delvac 15w-40 in everything, includng many Ford 5.4L engines. These engines saw many cold starts at temps below 20F. They continue to run many of these same engines today with well over 200k miles.
They did switch to Mobil DC 5w-30 when the local Ford dealer threatened to void the warrenty on a 4.2L V6, but many saw well over 100k miles on the 15w-40.

i have to say that when i tried 5w40 in my 98 4.6 crown vic you can hear clacking at the top when i changed it out right away it went away...these mod engines just not like thick oil!!! tried it again with thick oil and did it again and went away when went to 5w30....also the cars likes motorcraft oil filters fl820s in the winter because of the bypass valve is at the threads..

quote:

Originally posted by boxcartommie22:
i have to say that when i tried 5w40 in my 98 4.6 crown vic you can hear clacking at the top when i changed it out right away it went away...

When did it clack? I am thinking that a 5w20 or 5w30 and even an 0w30 would be thicker when cold than a hot 40 weight and should therefore also clack, no?

I'm running 5 quarts of 10W-30 and one quart of 15W-50 M1 in my 5.4 There isn't really much you can do about start up noise. It's common in these engines at start up. Sometimes folks get confused with timing belt noise. The modular engines rely on oil pressure to prevent belt slap. That has been the topic on some other forums on the thick vs. thin ying-yang. Thinner oils are faster, but thicker oils hold pressure longer....whichever floats the boat. But, 10W-30 is absolutely fine for that engine.

tks for the input.....I guess i will be running 5w30 in the winter (just to be on the safe side) and 10w30 during the rest of the year becouse i think 10w30 protects better.

What's the absolute lowest temperature you will encounter in your neck of the woods? If it's not below say, 10F, then I think 10w-30 would be preferable.

I wouldn't lose any sleep running a 10-30 in NC, no matter what the season.

Now if you are at my lattitude or higher, that's another story for another day.

I went to the motorcraft website, put in my vehicle (97 mustang 4.6) and when I searched for oil, it came up recommending 5w-20, but said 5w-30, AND 10w-30 were okay. Since it's a ford website I'd say 10w-30 is alright for any 4.6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back