What about biodiesel mixed with gasoline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen posts here before about using a small percentage of biodiesel, much like 2 cycle oil, in a gasoline engine as a cleaner/lube. I got to wondering last night when I couldn't sleep...just how much biodiesel could you add to a 4 cycle gas engine? Not for cleaning or lubrication, but just to water down my $65 tank of gas.
mad.gif
Could you go as high as 5% or 10%?

I have gone as high as 5% but then the engine really starts to knock. I think 2% will give the lubrication needed as well as keeping things clean.

IIRC, Diesel fuel and gasoline are two different animals. I am not sure if you want to mix Biodiesel to the gasoline.

When I was making coke bottles of biodiesel, I used to add it at around a half to 1 percent in my petrol engined 4Runner.

Seemed to make an OK difference, but I'd rather use it in my diesels.

I would worry how biodiesel may affect some rubber compounds in a gas fuel system. If you are gonna use it as a lube I would say keep it under the 5% mark. But keep an eye of things like the fuel lines, fuel filter, etc.

Try this?

http://www.mpgresearch.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2015&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30

"I'm currently doing 1qt to a daytona tank (13 or 14 gallons). Plus Acetone at 3oz per 10gal.

I used just soy veggy oil last 3 times to brake the myth about canola oil. Paid 1.25 a qt at Biglots.

Filled up 3 days ago and we had 40's at night and 70's to low 80's during the day and my tank average display is showing 30.1mpg. It is normally at least 4mpg off from the actual.

Other sucesses here at work:

Ford festiva was 38 now 44

Late Jeep wrangler 2.5L was 15 to 16, now 18 to 20."

These last two are 38 % and 22% mpg gains.

Isopropyl Alcohol would maybe help offset the ethanol issue. I still say SMOKE though. Good idea to pull a plug and check for oil?

24 oz canola oil per 10 gallons is around a 2% dose....the acetone is around 0.23%.

I got a 10% mpg gain using 2.3 oz 91 % iso per 10 G with some MMoil to protect the pump.

I was mixing either a little new canola oil or a little new vegetable oil in my Taurus tank when it was cold. I couldn't come up with any proper results to say anything one way or another. But I ended up having a T-stat problem that is now fixed. Might try again now that it's all taken care of and running well.

I went as far as adding 2 oz of new vegetable oil per one gallon of gas. Not a big ratio. Vegetable oil will mix with gasoline. And it does have more Btu's.

Those daytonas will run on anything without issues. I know. I had one for 2 years. I once ran it with over half gallon of old MMO just to see how it ran. Just fine. No smoke or starting issues. No carbon build up.

I have run straight canola oil in my lawn mower at 20% with no dire effects. Ran the same as normal. Have also run diesel at rates of 10% and 15% in my pathfinder to see what effects it would have on performance and drivability before I tried a little cooking oil. At 15% it was a little sluggish, especially before engine was warm. Picked up 1 to 2 mpg at the 10% rate. Haven't tried the oil yet with the rubber hoses and all but I may try one or two tanks to see if it's worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back