Experience with Redline Oil???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sprintman
TRACO (I sure ain't going into who they are) supplied every engine to a maor U.S race series I forget. When the engines came back after each race they could name which oil had been used without knowing. They could always pick which engine had Redlione as it had such low wear compared to the others which were basically shot. Real results not UOA or 'my friend says'

I believe this still falls in the category of anecdote rather than data. The full quote can be found here - http://www.drivetrain.com/redline.html
Quote:
Jim Jones, the owner of Traco Engineering, has built 350 V-8 motors for Corvette endurance racing for years. His engines are run by different teams using different oils, many of them other synthetics. He will get engines back from the different teams after a 24-hour race. All engines ran at the same track and have the same number of miles, but he can always tell the Red Line engines from the others. The difference in wear is incredible. The most noticeable difference is in the valve guides. After 24-hours operation on other synthetics they are completely worn, while with Red Line they are still in good condition.

There are a few things to notice about this:
* It has a very specific context - V8 corvette racing engines. It may be entirely true and accurate in that context, but the further your application and engine differ from that, the less meaningful the results may be to you.
* Also note that the grade and type of oils is not specified. As all good BITOG'rs should know, just because one particular oil works well in one particular application, it does not automatically follow that that oil will work equally well in all applications nor does it mean that all oils from that manufacturer will perform to the same level.
* This quote is from at least as far back as 1996 and probably further. It describes Jim Jones as the owner of Traco Engineering, but "In 1996, Jim sold his interest in TRACO Engineering, Inc..." - http://www.tra-coracingengines.com/history.html - Again, I think all BITOG'rs are aware of the many changes in oil formulation and performance that have take place over the last 10+ years
* It is also interesting to note that Redline itself no longer has this quote on their website. There is no lack of other testimonials and performance claims, but this particular one no longer appears. If it were really as significant a result as it is claimed to be, it is hard to imagine Redline would not be taking advantage of that.

Everyone things their oil is "best". Take GM tunersource.

Quote:
We recommend and use Mobil1 5W30 in all our race cars. The same oil they make for regular production cars, we use in our 1450hp drag race engines. It keeps our main bearings looking brand new.

http://tunersource.gmblogs.com/

Originally Posted By: buster
What type of engine in the ZR-1 and what Mobil, Amsoil, Motul products were you using? Are you comparing API SM oils to Redline, which is SL? These are things that need to be clarified.

My 1995 ZR-1 has the Mercury Marine 32V DOHC engine. The engine was rebuilt by Doug Ripple Motorsports. PM me for the particular on the oil if you are interested. On the dyno it puts out 606hp without and 804hp with nitrous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back