M1 0W40...GM 6.0L....24,000 miles OMG!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
2005 GM 2500HD 6.0L auto 4x4 80,000 miles on truck,and yes 24,000 on the oil using a supertech filter.

My nephews truck,I change the oil when he brings it to me,which has been 3 times in the trucks life. So obviously he doesn't do anything but beat on this thing. I changed the airfilter after this sample(1st time for this motor). It was also at least 2 quarts low and ticking when he pulled in..

Iron...203
Chromium..5
lead.....365
copper...130
tin.......0
aluminum...21
nickel...6
silver....0
silicon...43
boron.....114
sodium.....53
magnesium...37
calcium....3261
barium.....0
phosp.....955
zinc....1226

fuel
vis@100c - 24.86

coolant- yes

Staveley services did analysis and commented = suspect abnormal main/conn rod bearing wear. severe level of oxidation and nitration products detected. sodium levels high.

I didn't do a TBN,what was the point right?? Other than abuse what do you see happening to this in the short term,is there any future???

Oh man...
shocked2.gif
spankme2.gif

I would have him run it a while and use something to clean out that motor. Then change the oil & filter soon after that.

On the following oil change I would then do another UOA to see where the motor is at...

btw: If he's gonna keep it, change all of the drivetrain oils soon!

WOW. This is the danger you run when trying to do extended drains. Obviously there is a coolant leak and it destroyed this oil. Take the truck in asap with this analysis.

Well, if there's ANY hope for this engine, you need to fix the coolant leak first. With only 53 for sodium, it doesn't seem to be too bad a leak, but it has done a number on the engine.

Fix that, do two or three short flush runs (1-2k miles) with a cheap dino 10W-40; then see how the engine is running. If a slightly thisker oil is used (10W-40 or 5W-40), and the level isn't allowed to go low again, this truc might have a suprising amount of life left to it...GM engines, if nothing else, are fairly tough....

No offense, but why the heck would anyone abuse a top-of-the line, 3 year old truck like this? In Canada, that model of truck HAS to be somewhere around $45-60k new, with all the options - does this guy really have enough money to replace a truck like this every 3-4 years?

This thing needs some serious AutoRX luvin once the coolant leak is stopped.

That's why I'd like to know the potassium number-I've seen labs flag coolant just because the sodium is high. This looks like it could be an air intake issue if the potassium isn't elevated.

Silicon, chromium, nickel, iron all elevated.

Regardless of cause this oil is totally destroyed-and the engine is looking to follow suit.

Originally Posted By: REDDOG
I would not jump to the conclusion there was a coolant leak just yet-what was the potassium level?

Titanium,vanadium and potassium all 0.

All drive-line fluids are original,except the rear which blew up winter of 06...

I know he pays 700+ a month truck payment but he beats the snot out of everything he owns...Some people get it ,some don't....He DOES NOT!!! I call him religiously about stopping by for an oil change,I started asking last october,he said the light was on and be by soon...

...but, but, but it's Mobil 1!
28.gif
27.gif

I wonder how he drives this thing. It is a good motor. TBN would've been great to know for a reference point.......

Get 'er in like Buster mentions and go from there.

I want to see the future of this engine - can ya keep us posted along the way and further in the future...??

If potassium is zero and this is dexcool, there is not coolant ingress. Some of the wear is from intake of dirt, and the air ducting should be checked out. The thickening is from oxidation.

Auto Rx is definately the ticket here, but if he's not going to change his oil, what's the point? If he can't change his oil any more often than 24k he certainly won't stick to the AutoRx schedule.

Originally Posted By: tpitcher
...but, but, but it's Mobil 1!
28.gif
27.gif

I wonder how he drives this thing. It is a good motor. TBN would've been great to know for a reference point.......

Get 'er in like Buster mentions and go from there.

I want to see the future of this engine - can ya keep us posted along the way and further in the future...??

How does he drive it?? Like a rental! Extended idling,full throttle launches,full bed of junk,pulls a fifth wheel in the summer and does absolutely nothing but put gas in it. Doesn't check any fluids,wash or wax,clean the inside,NOTHING but gas and go... I've got some QS 10w30 synthetic in there and I'll try and wrangle him in for a short oci???? I'll keep reporting as long as I can get my hands on it.

What does this guy DO for a living? If he can afford to beat the [censored] outta $700/month truck, and not give a c*#p, he must be growing the green stuff (money OR dope, take your pick!) in his backyard!

Sorry, can I ask again, what was the replacement oil, or is this oil STILL in the truck...?

32.gif
I can't help but say either if he's married his wife is wonderful and meets all of his needs or if he's single, he has lots of women that really want to be with him.

sarcasm/off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back