Ford 4.6 Oil Consumption with 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Dad's Expedition (40,000 miles) was a quart low with about 4000 miles into the oil change. This is the third change (5000 mile OCI) with Motorcraft 5w20. I spent a lot of time convincing him that 5w20 is the way to go. The first 2 oil changes, about a half a quart of oil was used. Now he's upset that the truck "uses" oil. What should I do? Start using 5w30? Run Auto-Rx? Other ideas?

IMO that 5W-30 works better for the 4.6. I drive a 95 Crown Vic Interceptor with the 4.6 and 5W-30 is the recommended weight. At 96K miles, no oil is needed between change intervals (approx 3500-4000 miles). Oil brand is Castrol GTX 5W-30, although I'm thinking about trying the Castrol HM version - we put this in our son's 91 Chevy truck (5.7/160K miles) with excellent results.

I would suggest going with the 5w-30 in the Expedition before you did the RX treatment.

quote:

Originally posted by C4Dave:
My Dad's Expedition (40,000 miles) was a quart low with about 4000 miles into the oil change. This is the third change (5000 mile OCI) with Motorcraft 5w20.

A QUART IN 4000 MILES? WHAT DOES HE EXPECT.

Jeez, that sounds great to me, there are vehicles that I know use a quart in 1000.

Also there could be a variety of reasons it's using oil. Maybe the last time he checked it differntly. Maybe one time it was and this time it was cold or something like that. Also maybe it wasn't topped up completely to begin with. Did he change the oil himself of have a stealership do it.

Secondly, maybe his driving habits have changed, higher loads or more stop and go can have an effect on oil consumption.

Mine uses about 1 quart in 6,000 miles. If he is doing a 5,000 mile drain, he probaby doesn't even have to add any in between.

[ November 30, 2004, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: msparks ]

I drive a 2003 F150 SuperCrew with a 4.6L. 26,400 total miles, uses 1/4 quart of Motorcraft 5w20 during a 4,900 to 5,000 mile OCI.

This is more than acceptable to me.

I know that 1 quart in 4000 miles is great. But from his perspective, he didn't have to add oil between changes. Now he does. Must be sumthin wrong.

I think that consumption is too much (for the vehicle in the original post).

My 97 4.6L T-bird has 101000 miles and used 1 qt during the last 6,500 miles.

How about mixing just one quart of MC 15/40 or 10/40 with the rest being 5/20 or 5/30?
or: ca. 5 oz. of Valvline Synpower oil treatment(has good reviews here, but I haven't personally tried it yet: thought mixing a thicker oil of the same brand was better than additives...but I may be wrong
dunno.gif

As you've described, there is nothing wrong with the rate of consumption, but a problem with how the use compares to previous use.

If it were me, stick with the 5w20, as I observed consumption varied a bit over the first couple of itnervals, but eventually settled in a consistent, lower than max observed level of consumption.

The Expedition is a 2002 model, about 3 1/2 years old. Previous oil was whatever wally world or the quicky change place put in it.

I too would be upset with a qt in 4000 miles. My '03 Mazda MPV easily goes 5000 miles no perceptable use. My "new" '01 Suburban appears that it will do the same. I used to have a Saturn and that did me in for oil usage. Who wants to check oil every time you get gas? This isn't the 70's!!! JMO. I expect to make it to my OCI w/o adding oil.

I would bet that this Motorcraft 5w-20 is doing some cleaning of what the previous "whatever oil" left behind. This, in theory, is going to cause some oil usage. Keep going for a few more OCI's and then go from there.

quote:

My "new" '01 Suburban appears that it will do the same

FYI, GM has stated that 1 quart per 1,000 miles is normal for the LS1.

quote:

Originally posted by medic:
I would bet that this Motorcraft 5w-20 is doing some cleaning of what the previous "whatever oil" left behind. This, in theory, is going to cause some oil usage. Keep going for a few more OCI's and then go from there.

quote:

My "new" '01 Suburban appears that it will do the same

They might think it's normal, but then how come the LS1 in my Corvette uses no noticeable amount of oil at all in a 5000 mile interval? So if it's possible for my LS1 to be like that, why can't all of them? (FWIW, my 98 LS1 Formula was also the same way, no oil needed between intervals)

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by medic:

They might think it's normal, but then how come the LS1 in my Corvette uses no noticeable amount of oil at all in a 5000 mile interval? So if it's possible for my LS1 to be like that, why can't all of them? (FWIW, my 98 LS1 Formula was also the same way, no oil needed between intervals)

I agree, I would be very unhappy with any engine that used 1 quart per 1000 miles. I was just saying that 1 quart per 5000 miles isn't all that bad as compared to what some manufacturers consider "within normal limits".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back