Rotella T Zinc/Phosphorus Content

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rotella T and other diesel oils are recommended for use when breaking in a new camshaft in an older flat tappet motor, due to the Zinc/Phosphorus content of those oils.

I have heard reports that new EPA requirements for diesel engines will cause a reduction in the amount of these elements in diesel rated oils.

My question is: Will the Rotella T Zinc/Phosphorus content be sufficient for use as a break-in oil in older flat tappet motors in the future?

Also is the Zinc/Phosphorus content of Rotella T at the same level as in the past at this time?

The latest CJ-4 version of Rotella 15w-40/10w-30 had a slight reduction in the phosphorus level and thus the zinc level as well. Still much higher than the average passenger car oil, but not the same levels it use to have.

For maxiumum protection during intial break-in add one bottle of
GM E.O.S. (engine oil supplement), to the crankcase.

If the ambient temps are above 40 degrees I prefer Rotella straight 30 wt. for the break-in oil, although the 15w-40 will work as well, however E.0.S should be used in both.

As for the future, the new HDEO grades are due out in 2009, no doubt they will have even further depleted ZDDP levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back