Tranny oil change - Deere STX-38 riding mower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon all,

As part of the Spring tune up, I always change the transmission oil in my John Deere STX-38. (it's the hydro model)

Drained the oil (it was Mobil1 10W-30 as the manual calls for) and it's dirty. Not brown like motor oil, but almost grey/black, like you'd see from gear wear. I let the drain pan sit for a while and when I poured the oil off into my recycle container, I saw some black, sooty slime in spots on bottom of the contained. (Container is a blue ex-SuperTech coolant jug, with one side cut open to act as a catch-pan.) Wow, that's odd.

So, I'm getting ready to refill with SuperTech Synthetic and I spot a left-over jug of AMSOIL 5W-30 synchomesh transmission oil. Hmmmn. Won't be using this until my wife hits 120k miles, which is probably four plus years away. So in goes the 5W-30 AMSOIL Synchomesh and I'm about half a quart low, so I top off with 10W-30 SuperTech Syn.

Time for the test drive. I start it, let it warm for a minute, and then take off down the street at full throttle, lever all the way forward. Usually, this hydro tranny whiles when it's pulling at top speed, but not with this fresh fill.

I'm beginning to think that the use of 10W-30 in hydro trannies may not be the best stuff there is.

later,
b

I would drain that fluid ASAP!! Amsoil has a hydrostatic fluid that is the proper application. They wouldn't make different fluids if it wasn't necessary.

10W-30 motor oil is the proper tranny fill per the manual - the mix of 10W-30 syn and Amsoil 5W-30 synchromesh HAS to have more gear protection at a similar viscosity than 10W-30 motor oil.

Hydrostatic fluid would be the right thing if that's what the JD manual called for, but it doesn't...

thanks,
ben

That STX will have a Tufftorq trans. Check http://www.tufftorq.com Nearly all of them spec 10w30 motor oil. They always have. 40wts will work fine in them too, especially in hot locations. A 40wt HDEO like Shell Rotella-T 5w40 would be great for ambient temps that vary from cold to extemely hot. Hydro-Gear typcially specs 15w-40. The old school Sauer-Danfoss hydros specd 20wt motor oil.

Joel

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back