Ford Spec WSS-M2C153-H

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had mixed feelings on the topic of which motor oil is best. So much of the information available is based on anecdotal personal accounts or manufacturer's (buy my product) claims.

I checked the Owner's manual for both Bev's Windstar and my Expedition. Both state that the motor oil must meet Ford Spec WSS-M2C153-H. The spec generally states the oil must be 5W-20 and meet ILSAC GF-3 requirements. It also states other requirements, see http://www.ilma.org/resources/ford_2004_my.pdf . Therefore my minimal requirement for purchasing motor oil is that the product data sheet states Ford Spec WSS-M2C153-H is met. If the product data sheet states higher requirements are also met (e.g. ILSAC GF-4 and API service SM), this is a plus.

Some of the high priced synthetic oils on the market don't meet the Ford Spec and some do. E.g. non of the Valvoline Synthetics meet the Ford Spec, although their All-Climate oil (offered in 5W-20, ILSAC GF-4, API SM) may meet it, but for some reason Valvoline isn't stating so on their product bottle / data sheets - which may be a huge marketing mistake. Castrol, Pennzoil, Mobil, and other oil manufacturers state that they meet the Ford spec for their 5W-20's on both the product bottle and data sheets.

I'll use Castrol as an example, although other manufacturers could also be substituted.
- My quandary is: do I buy Castrol GTX (which exceeds WSS-M2C153-H, ILSAC GF-4, and API SM) for $1.95 per quart, OR do I buy Castrol SYNTEC which exceeds the same requirements for twice the price?
- Is it worth the extra money since my vehicles are not used in extreme service conditions, not exposed to extreme climates, nor am I looking to extend the oil change interval?
- Is there data to show how much longer an Expedition/Windstar engine will last on full synthetic Vs dinosaur oil? And does it matter since the rest of the vehicle will probably fall apart before the engine wears out anyway?

How about buying Motorcraft/Conoco 5w-20 and get a group 3, synthetic blend for $1.42/qt. Another choice could be Havoline 5w-20. It is a group II+ oil with a nice additive pack has done very well for me both in my F150 and now in my Mazda. Havoline can be had for anywhere from $1.08 to $1.42 / qt.

To answer your question more directly....If your vehicle is not exposed to extremes in climate and operating conditions and you have no desire to stretch drain intervals past manufacturer recommendations then I personally can't justify the added expense of the high priced synthetics.

Of course the best way to know how well (or poor) your choice in motor oil is doing is to get a UOA done. Even spending 4 plus dollars for a qt. of motor oil does not ensure the best performance in your particular vehicle. A few bucks spent now for a UOA or two can let you know for sure just how things are doing and you can rest easy when picking that container off the shelf of the auto parts section knowing you're choice is a good one.

Absolutely. Buy the Motorcraft oil and filter from Walmart. Thats what I currently have in my Explorer. I was using Mobil 1 but stopped because I did not feel it was worht the extra$$.

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:

quote:

Originally posted by mikemc:
I'll third that. The Motorcraft 5w20 blend is a steal for $1.42 at Walmart and you know it meets your vehicle specs. This oil also has good cold starting properties, which is why I use it in the winter.

I'll 4th that. Last I checked, Ford oci requirements don't allow for extended drains and even Amsoil doesn't promoted over extended oci's in the 20wt. product. The Motorcraft is hard to beat in these applications.

I'll add a "fifth" to that, Glenlivet please. Opps, sorry, wrong "fifth"
grin.gif
. I have a 2002 F-150 with the 4.6L V-8 and have used Motorcraft 5W-20 since new. I live in Northern NJ so we get cold weather like you do in Michigan. And in all actuality your winters are probably even colder. I find that the Motorcraft 5W-20 has a real good cold pumpability and my truck starts on the coldest subzero days without any top end clatter. An oil with real good cold pumpability is necessary with the modular engines because they immediately rev real high upon starting for pollution control. An oil with a lesser cold pumpability could cause extra wear. In the heat of summer I never noticed any undue noises from the oil being "too thin". I had an UOA done at 10,000 miles and it was real good and I'm having another one done shortly at around 19,000 miles. Though I always reach 6 months before I reach 5,000 miles. Which actually means my miles are more "brutal" than all/mostly highway miles. As a side note I also use the Motorcraft FL820S oil filter. I believe with it's silicone ADBV it greatly aides in quiet "wet" cold starts.

Whimsey

I do not have more fuel for the debate about Syn vs Dino.
Just an update for 2005 Ford oil requirements that are probably tougher than the requirements for 2004 models.
2005 Ford Engineering Materials Specifications for 5w20 service fill is WSS M2C 930A.
2005 Ford Engineering Materials Specifications for 5w30 service fill is WSS M2C 929A.

Review of these documents suggests performance standards for both 5w20 and 5w30 are almost identical except where viscosity itself will give different values.
Ford basically requires ILSAC GF4 and also specifies limits to VG follower pin wear and Ring Wear.

http://www.ilma.org/resources/fordltr_recommendations.pdf
and
http://www.ilma.org/resources/ford_service_fill_specs.pdf

Many GF4 oils are likely to meet these standards. I hope they will display on the bottle that they meet these Ford standards.

fdunford , aside from picking an oil that specifically does meet the Ford requirement, I don't think there really is a universally correct answer to your questions. I also don't think you can go wrong either way. The Xw-20 oils seem to be a better oil as a class than most other weights, maybe in part because of the higher specs Ford requires them to meet, as thrace points out. Plus the uoa results posted here have consistently show excellent numbers for most 5W20 oils.

I guess what I'm saying is that it takes you back to your personal feelings and judgement. In my case I run Mobil 1 0W20 in my Escape in large part becasue my son uses it in another town. The uoa I've gotten for that oil are better than what Castrol and MC 5W20 have shown in that same car. But if I were driving it, and not my son, I'd probably run a dino rather than the synthetic. It can be a good emotional decision as well as rational too.
smile.gif

I'll third that. The Motorcraft 5w20 blend is a steal for $1.42 at Walmart and you know it meets your vehicle specs. This oil also has good cold starting properties, which is why I use it in the winter.

quote:

Originally posted by mikemc:

I'll 4th that. Last I checked, Ford oci requirements don't allow for extended drains and even Amsoil doesn't promoted over extended oci's in the 20wt. product. The Motorcraft is hard to beat in these applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back