How critical is it to have hubcentric rims?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know about Corvettes but on BMWs hub centricity is critical. The lug bolts are not designed to center the wheel, and if the wheels are not hubcentric then you will get a different result every time you mount the wheel.

I do not believe that most Japanese manufacturers use hub centricity for wheel centering.

Originally Posted By: glennc
I do not believe that most Japanese manufacturers use hub centricity for wheel centering......

I'm under the impression that pretty much every OEM uses hub centric wheel centering - including Asian manufacturers. Unfortunately, I am not 100%, certifiably confident in that answer, but I'm posting this simply because I can not imagine a vehicle manufacturer doing otherwise.

Are we talking about the same thing?

Hub centric - meaning the center hole of the wheel pilots on a flange to center the wheel relative to the hub. The lug nuts may or may not be tapered.

Lug Centric - meaning the center hole does not pilot on a flange. That means the wheel is centered by the tapers on the lug nuts.

hubcentric can be critical for proper mounting but not for balance/road force issues

what are the road force specs? most Hunter machines in any shop for the last 5 years have road force and you can easily check wheel for out of roundness

if the wheels are dynamically balanced and do not have excessive road force then your wheel is not mounted on the hub concentrically

Toyota pickups are or were lug-centric. I don't know if there are any other Japanese vehicles with factory lug-centric wheels, or whether it's the majority.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Have you considered trading your chrome aftermarket wheels for the factory painted (non polished) OEM wheels ?

I wouldn't feel right trading these wheels with one of my fellow Corvette brothers and putting them through the same balancing problems I'm going through.

When I had some tires mounted recently at a shop that does a lot of performance car work, the guy told me that Pirelli's seemed to have a lot of variance, and that the Kumhos seemed to be among the best as far as getting good road force numbers on their Hunter machine. I had some Bridgestone winter tires mounted and they were in the 7-9 range. While I was there a guy picked up a van that came out around 20, but they said as high as 29 was acceptable for vans. IIRC, FWIW.

Have you tried the balancing compound yet? Half a standard pack, like they would use for pickup truck tires (not the large semi tires), may be able to absorb the variance you have.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
I'm under the impression that pretty much every OEM uses hub centric wheel centering - including Asian manufacturers. Unfortunately, I am not 100%, certifiably confident in that answer, but I'm posting this simply because I can not imagine a vehicle manufacturer doing otherwise.

I usually see wheels for Japanese cars advertised by bolt pattern and size only with no reference to hub diameter. How can that be if they need to be hub centric?

I usually see wheels for Japanese cars advertised by bolt pattern and size only with no reference to hub diameter. How can that be if they need to be hub centric?

If you also look at wheels for GM's and Ford's, they are also referenced by bolt pattern and size - and we know those are hub centric. I suspect that aftermarket wheels are designed to fit anything that fits the offset / bolt pattern and then they use a hub ring to get the wheels to be hub centric.

Capri, it seems you are quite right that most if not all original equipment wheels are designed to be hub centric. However it seems that many aftermarket wheels are designed to be lug centric, implying that in most applications either will suffice if designed and mounted properly, at least for most cars.

In the BMW world hub centricity is considered to be very important for original or aftermarket wheels, and my best guess as to the difference would be that BMWs use lug bolts whereas most others use studs and nuts. Just a guess, mind you. I would think that it would make little or any difference once torqued but I do hear that if you install non-hub-centric wheels on a BMW you are almost certain to have problems. No personal experience mind you.

I do not know how this would apply to Corvettes.

I found this little snippet on one of the wheel vendors' websites:

Hub-centricity
When automobile manufacturers design a vehicle, they utilize hub-centric wheels so that:

The wheels are positioned very precisely on the car.
The possibility of shifting while being mounted is minimized.

Lug-centricity
The alternative to a hub-centric wheel is known as lug-centric.

The wheels are located solely by the lug nuts rather than
the wheel hub.
As the lug nuts are tightened, they adjust the wheel's position relative to the hub, thus centering the wheel.
Properly torqued, the lug nuts continue to keep the wheel centered as the vehicle is driven.

Lug-centric wheels require extra care in mounting on a vehicle. When using shouldered nuts instead of tapered nuts, take extra care to properly locate the wheel. Never use air tools to install high performance wheels! Always use a torque wrench and follow accepted tightening procedures

Uh, as much as I hate to ask this, (one only learns sometimes by asking or observing), 'zactly what is a "hubcentric rim?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back