Chrysler 4.7L V8

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMB

Hello everyone, I have been reading for a while now, but this is my first post!

I have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.7L V8 in it. I am currently running Amsoil 5w-30 with filter (napa gold) changes at 5K intervals and full oil changes at 15k.

This site is hard to navigate (compared to other forums) and I can't seem to find anything on amsoil vs. royal purple vs. others. I know there are plenty of tests on the net but I figured a reputable site like this would be the best place to find some "factual" info.

Also, I tried to search for my specific engine, with no luck. Does anyone have any info. on what these motors like and dislike? I have read that some Chrysler engines are prone to sludge, and since this is my first Chrysler (only had it for 6,000 miles) any info. you guys have would be great...

Thanks,
Chris

welcome2.gif
Chris.

You can run that filter out to 10K if you wanted to, might even make it the full oci. Most filters, well, filter better after they have been in use for some time.

But is totally up to you, as it is your vehicle.

The search function could use some tweaking but you should be able to find a good bit of info in the uoa sections and such.

I generally find if I put what I am searching for in quotes it usually makes it easier to find what I am looking for.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CMB

I have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.7L V8 in it. I am currently running Amsoil 5w-30 with filter (napa gold) changes at 5K intervals and full oil changes at 15k.

This site is hard to navigate (compared to other forums) and I can't seem to find anything on amsoil vs. royal purple vs. others. I know there are plenty of tests on the net but I figured a reputable site like this would be the best place to find some "factual" info.

Also, I tried to search for my specific engine, with no luck. Does anyone have any info. on what these motors like and dislike? I have read that some Chrysler engines are prone to sludge, and since this is my first Chrysler (only had it for 6,000 miles) any info. you guys have would be great...

Thanks,
Chris

Amsoil is a fine oil. If you have been using it and are happy why change? Royal Purple is also a fine oil and is what I use however be advised it gets bashed here badly by some people and "facts" have little to do with it from most. Take what you read here about RP with a grain of salt because it is not echoed elsewhere. Very good product. I ran it in an 03 Dodge Ram w/ the 4.7L and it did great. I use it in all my vehicles actually.

Redline and Penzoil Platinum are two other brands of synthetic oil to consider that are very good. Mobil 1 is also a good synthetic oil( as long as you get the right bottle - they have conventional oil as well )but is owned by ExxonMobil and that turns me off. Quaker State, Valvoline, Castrol, etc... all offer quality synthetic oils as well.

If you want to change for change sake or to try and get a better product just stick with the Amsoil because you will only equal it quality wise as you have already picked an excellent oil. Don't try and fix what isn't broken. If it is because you want to try something that is easier to find then RP is an excellent choice as it is widely available and is a truly premium quality oil like Amsoil( but it costs a lot like Amsoil as well ). If you are after cheaper oil PP and M1 can be purchased in jugs at Wal-Mart very cheap and they are excellent quality as well.

As to that 4.7L. That is one of the engines Chrysler has had problems with sludge in. Definitely change that filter every 5K and be careful going so long on the oil( just because of the problems the 4.7L has not because the oil can't do it ). Maybe send your oil out for testing at 10K to see how it is holding up. Check inside the oil fill opening with a flashlight for sludge like build up. Part of the sludge issue with that motor is condensation build up on the top end.

As long as it is not a money issue or you are looking for an easier to find product then just stick with the Amsoil.

Last edited by a moderator:
are they really that bad with sludging issues?

Had no idea.

sorry chris. negate what i said about the filter.

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
are they really that bad with sludging issues?

Had no idea.

sorry chris. negate what i said about the filter.

Yes, they really had sludge issues with the 4.7L back around that time( the 3.9L V6 as well ). I saw some photos of 4.7L's that were torn down and it was awful. May hve been fixed now but back around that time it was a big issue.

Sludge problems? Really ?

I haven't heard that about those engines; generally, it's said it may be Chrysler's best. My experience is with the 3.7L V6 version.

What's the reference for the "sludge issues" claim ?

The oil filler tube is plastic and tall, and it collects condensation within it. The pcv valve draws through it. White and brown, mayonnaise-like. Happens all winter.

Original poster: what is the type of driving you do ? I wouldn't consider going that long on an oil unless I did strictly highway cruising with not many warm-up cycles.

Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it!

If my motor is prone to sludge, maybe I should go with one of the walmart oils and do oil changes at 5k? I mean, I had a ford ranger that I went 20k with 5k intervals on amsoil and it was fine, but amsoil isn't worth the money if I can't go that long (or close). Does this sound like a better idea?

How do PP, Castrol Syntec, and M1 comapare? I ran mobil 1 in this motor just as a kind of flush oil, and I wasn't impressed...

Originally Posted By: dkcase

The oil filler tube is plastic and tall, and it collects condensation within it. The pcv valve draws through it. White and brown, mayonnaise-like. Happens all winter.

Original poster: what is the type of driving you do ? I wouldn't consider going that long on an oil unless I did strictly highway cruising with not many warm-up cycles.

I get the mayo stuff in the fill tube, but it seems to be less with amsoil. As far as my driving, its 90-95% city...

Originally Posted By: NHSilverado

As to that 4.7L. That is one of the engines Chrysler has had problems with sludge in. Definitely change that filter every 5K and be careful going so long on the oil( just because of the problems the 4.7L has not because the oil can't do it ). Maybe send your oil out for testing at 10K to see how it is holding up. Check inside the oil fill opening with a flashlight for sludge like build up. Part of the sludge issue with that motor is condensation build up on the top end.

Care to name a source on that? The only Chrysler engine I have ever heard of having sludge issues was the pre-2002 2.7L V6.

Thanks,
Chris

Chris,

On other forums Amsoil, Royal Purple has been a good oil for usage in the 4.7 V-8's and such. For myself I run strictly synthetic oil in my Durango 4.7 with good results but I don't use those oils cuz off the shelve their not in my pocket book. My usual choice is Mobil 1 or Valvoline's branded synthetic.

The issue of the sludge problems in this engine is well documented on other forums with bad results from the factory as far as replacements go. Chrysler just won't bone-up to their responsibilities. My only conclusion is to MAKE sure you change the oil every 3000K no matter what!!!! Don't take the chance with your engine.

So far with the miles on mine no problems has come up. That's why I'm pretty much staying with the M1 combination factor.

Durango

Last edited:
Man all this oil business is confusing...

On one of the Jeep sites I am a member of, a gentleman in Cali has 263,000 miles on his 4.7L running amsoil with extended OCI. What to do what to do...

Originally Posted By: jazztrumpet216
Originally Posted By: NHSilverado

Care to name a source on that? The only Chrysler engine I have ever heard of having sludge issues was the pre-2002 2.7L V6.

Go to any of the Dodge forums and look it up.

Never heard of sludge being an issue in the 2.7L V6 but I was always on the truck forums. The 3.7L replaced the 3.9L and I seem to recall the 3.9L had some issues with sludge so maybe the 3.7L does too( that is my current day Chrysler V6 experience - no cars ). Haven't been a regular on the Dodge forums since I sold my 04 HEMI Ram. However, the 4.7L most definitely was really plagued by sludge issues. As Durango mentions ^^^ as well.

Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it!

If my motor is prone to sludge, maybe I should go with one of the walmart oils and do oil changes at 5k? I mean, I had a ford ranger that I went 20k with 5k intervals on amsoil and it was fine, but amsoil isn't worth the money if I can't go that long (or close). Does this sound like a better idea?

How do PP, Castrol Syntec, and M1 comapare? I ran mobil 1 in this motor just as a kind of flush oil, and I wasn't impressed...

If you have an engine that is prone to sludge give it the best oil you can. Don't go to cheap oil. Stick with Amsoil or another of the quality synthetics just keep an eye on it and change sooner if needed.

I ran RP 5W-30 with a K&N and changed every 5K in my 03 Ram w/ 4.7L and I never even got the "mayo" in the fill tube.

"You can run that filter out to 10K if you wanted to, might even make it the full oci. Most filters, well, filter better after they have been in use for some time."

X2
An oversize filter should be able to last at long as the oil it that engine.

PH 43 is the next size up and the PH 8A is bigger still.
How much room is there for the bigger filter?

The 4.7 is NOT a sludge engine!! Get on some Dodge websites and read the real story. The 4.7 is a solid and very good engine. The issue is not sludge it is condensation in the filler tube due to it's position!! I have owned Durangos since 2000. Allwith the 4.7. There is no sludge issue.

I've had one since 2000 and and the best advice I can give is stay with either a 5w-30 or a 10w-30. The 4.7 doesn't like a heavier oil.

Originally Posted By: thunderchild
The 4.7 is NOT a sludge engine!! Get on some Dodge websites and read the real story. The 4.7 is a solid and very good engine. The issue is not sludge it is condensation in the filler tube due to it's position!! I have owned Durangos since 2000. Allwith the 4.7. There is no sludge issue.

Maybe you best go check those forums again because it most definitely is a sludge prone motor. TONS of problems. Here are just a few examples with a quick search...

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/dodge_dur_oil.html

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Dodge/Durango/2002/engine/oil_sludge_resulting_in_engine_failure.shtml

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Dodge/Durango/2000/engine/oil_sludge_resulting_in_engine_failure.shtml

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46368

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40245&highlight=official+sludge

http://www.popupexplorer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=52043

Ive heard about the 4.7 having sludge problems before, its not unheard of.

I had a 2004 Sebring with the 2.7l engine. I traded it in 2004 (only owned it 10 months). If you go on ebay and search "needs engine" or "needs motor" you will find overflows of Dodge intrepid/chrysler concordes/chrysler sebrings with bad engines due to sludge blocking the timing chain galleys and seizing the engine. You will also find several with rod knocks. The 2.7l didnt seem to be a good choice for the bigger car platforms!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back