HDEO - CJ4 & SM in Gasoline Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I found a Group 3 Oil with the following specifications. It states.

It is designed for the latest technology engines, incorporating EGR, SCR or DPF Technology.

Rationalises lubricant grades eliminating separate oils for American and European engines. Suitable for European, American & Japanese diesel engines.

Prevents any excessive increase in viscosity due to high temperature oil oxidation, ensuring oil flow to critical engine parts.

Has excellent viscometrics result in a stay-in-grade and maintained quality.

Looks similiar to Caltex (Chevron) Delo 400 LE.

Any comments regarding continuous use in a gasoline engine based on the information below.

Performance Levels
API CJ-4
API SM
Mack EO-O PREMIUM PLUS
CAT ECF-3
CES 20081
CAT ECF-1
Detroit Diesel PGOS 93K218
API CI-4
API CI-4 PLUS
API CH-4
ACEA E7
MB 228.3
MTU Type II

Characteristics
SAE 10W40
40 deg C 90 Cst
100 deg C 14.4 Cst
Viscosity 140 min
Flash Pt 228 deg C
Pour Pt -33 deg C
Total Base 8.4 KOH/g
Sulph. Ash 0.97%

Last edited:
In Australia, it sounds like it'd be about perfect. Doesn't quite sound like it has a high enough TBN to be diesel oil, but the specifications don't sound like something that would hurt a new car.

I held back the name of oil so that the comments would be impartial and based on the spec's only.

The oil is Fuchs Ultra MC 10w40 on the Australian Site.

I thought to post this as, the car engine bible, see link below, claims not to use a HDEO in a gasoline engine. The warning is regarding the cleaning power of diesel oils.

www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

It warns to use a low grade specification for cleaning purposes so you don't over clean and lose compression. It states that a 15w40 HDEO oil used for about 500 miles should do the trick, and not to leave it in the engine. ie it sounds like an Auto-RX clean.

Later in the article it restates that as diesel engine oils have better detergents the oils will clean the petrol cylinder walls so well they lose compression.

It also claims diesel oils have a special anti-foaming agent which is unique to diesel engines and it is not required in petrol engines. This is because diesel engines run a higher compression and it runs much hotter and the diesel oil is specially formulated to handle this.

How does this fit into today's with using a single oil for mixed fleet so there is no chance of put the incorrect oil in the vehicle ?

Is this warning from days gone by ?

or is there some substance to it?

Last edited:
It doesn't exactly state to use it in mixed fleets but then again it doesn't say CAN'T use it in petrol engines either.

It has a SM rating and the sulphated ash is less than 1% and its safe for EGR systems.

I think I will contact Fuchs Technical Advisors next week, as the Fuchs reps were at their OIL POW WOW conference, and were not available.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back