Base Oil Confirmation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aside from the advertised "100% Synthetic" does anyone have the goods on whether the highest percentage of Motul Eco-nergy 5w-30 is mineral or synthetically based?

what does it really matter, provided that it provides good results? Too many are caught up in the supposed "value proposition" of group III vs IV basestock, without looking at the overaqll chemistry, which is what REALLY matters.

JMH

Absolutely I agree! However if you are to market/badge your product as 100% anything then that should be the case, don't you think? I'm only curious about the Motul product as they don't offer their composition as readily for instance as compared to Total/Elf who too lists some products as 100% but also offers MSDS showing otherwise. You just want to know what you are paying for and then as you say, make a decision based on the results. Then the term "synthetic" wouldn't matter as much!

no oil will ever be 100% anything, even if it is actually a true 100% synthetic. The reason is base oil carriers.

100% synthetic oil might only be 90% syn oil, with 10% carrier for additives.

I'd rather have 90% syn with the best adds in a 10% cheapo base, than truly 100% syn, with less soluble adds at lower dosing rates.

JMH

Hi,
7TFord - Motul make a range of formulations - Grp2, Grp3, Grp4 and Grp4/5 as I understand it. Some are application specific, especially V300 in certain viscosities

Like FUCHS and ExxonMobil they have a lot of experience with esters

The one you mention is probably Grp4

Their volume sellers are Grp3 - synthetic as you know it in NA, and semi-synthetic as we do!

As a lubricant they are of good quality but nothing special and some probably compare well with some Amsoil products. They will buy their ingredients from the "Majors" of course

Some have various Manufacturer Approvals so they are on the ball!

Motul was formed in New York in 1853 and made whale oil for lanterns. It was once owned by Standard Oil of New Jersey
The Zaugg family purchased it and moved the lot to France about 1932

Correct me if I'm wrong, but European oil companies can't advertise Grp III oils as "100% Synthetics", at least not in Europe. Since the Motul stuff is the same around the world if the bottle says "100% Synthese" then it's probably a mainly a group IV oil. If it also has the word "Ester" on the bottle then it's probably mainly a Group V oil. Motul will advertise their semi-synthetics as "Technosynthese".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back