Amsoil PI...any UOA Impact?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMR

I just put in a bottle of Amsoil PI in my 2004 Land Cruiser with 60K miles. Before adding I took an oil sample and sent in to OAI. I will be changing the oil very soon.

Question...the bottle mixed with a full tank of about 25.8 gallons. If I change the oil will the PI impact the new oil? What about running most of this tank b4 changing to new oil? I did pull the UOA sample b4 adding the PI.

Any reason to delay oil change?? Thanks...Tom R

This has come up a few times, but since it would be diluted in 25 gallons of gas, not much may get into the oil (unlike if you added a bottle to 10 gallons of gas). Main thing is to run a 30 mile highway trip on the tank afterwards, that way it'll burn out any PI that managed to get into the oil.

My plan is to run through most of the 25 gallons with the PI in it...and then fill the gas tank full with "clean" 25 gallons...b/4 having the oil changed.

I am guessing that any residual will not be an issue 7,500 miles later on the new oil...that the PI will be out of the system and not impact the UOA 7,500 miles later?

Thanks...Tom R

One train of thought is that yes, any residual things that could show up in a UOA would have boiled off during that run of clean gas.

old, my lead was through the roof on some UOA.... So I do not use it any longer. I use 131, lucas (what is left) and Fp+. I like 131 but shipping is a killer. So Fp+ wins for mpg gains.

TMR - I'm assuming we are talking about the NEW PI.

1 bottle in 25 gallons is very dilute. I doubt it will gave any effect at all. I wouldn't delay oil change, but whatever fits your schedule will be fine.

If we were talking about a full bottle in a 5-6 gallons or so, I would say keep driving and change your oil after your next full tank of gas.

Thanks Pablo...It is the "new" stuff. I will run through the 25 gallons w/PI this weekend and refill with fresh gas. I will change out the oil next week...s/b OK...I DID draw the oil sample before I added the PI. I am waiting for my first UOA...on Mobil 1 5W-20 with about 8,000 miles...s/b interesting...TMR

I purposely don't change my driving pattern before a UOA. I don't want the dilution or other measurements skewed by burning off stuff that my engine operates in 99% of the time.

Originally Posted By: dargo
old, my lead was through the roof on some UOA....

Was the lead from a chemical reaction between the PI and bearings or from wear?

I would assume that if it was from wear that other metals would also show wear.

I also assume it's NOT from lead in the PI, since lead fouls the cats.

Originally Posted By: ConfederateTyrant
Terry once stated the PI would react with lead, copper, and a couple of other metals. It's not lead in the additive, or mechanical wear, just a chemical reaction.

He did? I don't remember that. Probably was the old PI. I use my normal rule....if you high dose a car with any cleaner, it's time to change the oil!

Yes Pablo, this was the old PI that Terry stated about chemical reactions. I don't think the new one was out for long around the time he left, so he didn't get a chance to tell us of his experience with it.

My post was a response to Loobed, who asked a question regarding dargo's post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back