GM 3T40 transmission....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if the transmission filter in the 3T40 is user serviceable?

I'll be the first to admit that I haven't tooled around under this car much (2000 Chevrolet Cavalier), but seeing as how it's due for a transmission fluid change.....

Thanks in advance!

yeah, it's serviceable. drop the pan, pull the filter out, it's not held on by bolts. it plugs into a hole, you'll see what I mean. I bought the cheapest trans filter that autozone had for it listed, it was an exact match.

Thanks guys! Is the filter the fibrous type or the course mesh?

Also, any estimate on how much fluid I'll lose by dropping the pan and removing the filter?

Thanks again!

Originally Posted By: MGPD03
Thanks guys! Is the filter the fibrous type or the course mesh?

Also, any estimate on how much fluid I'll lose by dropping the pan and removing the filter?

Thanks again!

Fibrous type. You'll lose about 4 quarts. Use an approved Dexron-VI fluid to refill.

That's the 3-speed auto, right? If so, then that's the one that actually comes with a dipstick and drain plug. My 4-speed did not.

I refilled mine with Valvoline Maxlife. 3k miles and no problems yet.

You've gotta love Cavaliers. Especially my wife's; absolutely power nothing. So simple to work on.

Last edited:
They're definately on the easy side for maintenence. I've let mine slip a bit since the wife has been driving it.

I've had it since '02 and got it with 50k miles on it...now it's at 131k with nothing other than "routine" maintenence.

The poor transmission was last serviced at 55k, so I figure I owe it a filter and Amsoil ATF. I've heard the little 3T40s are workhorses....

when my wife then girlfriend was driving the sunfire, it got a trans flush at 50k. a pan and filter drop at 93k miles at a napa autocare. I did the pan and filter drop at 143k miles. no complaints so far

I've never done a 3T40 but if it's like the 4T6x-E's, you're going to need a seal puller to get (what's left of the) filter neck out.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
You don't need a puller for the 3T40. The filter and seal will almost fall out.

I'll second that....relatively simple procedure. I was impressed with the overall lack of debris and wear metal in the filter and on the magnet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back