Suggestions for a newbie Duramax/Allison owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would appreciate suggestions for oil and filters for my 2007 GMC D/A. I've heard good things about Shell Rotella and Chevron Delo. I used Valvoline in my 2000 GMC 5.3L, had 180K miles when I turned it in on the 2007 GMC; had no engine problems with the 2000. Should I consider synthetic oil? I'm sure I'll get suggestions from Amsoil dealers, but I'd appreciate impartial suggestions. I'm sure these questions have been asked a thousand times, but I'll appreciate your suggestions.
Thanks and happy holidays to to all viewers.

Well....living in Denver, Colorado....I would consider full synthetics for the entire drive-line. Amsoil folks will come out of the woodwork, but Amsoil makes excellent products, so you will also need to look at the experience of these folks and be impartial.

And welcome to the forum, you have a great truck and driveline to take care of with the best lubes being suggested by many experienced people here!

GM has picked Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40 to be the Diesel engine oil they offer to their dealers. GM also offers Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 to their dealer network as well.

Last edited:
I too have a DMax and something that I have noticed over the years by looking at UOA's of other DMax owners is one thing; any properly spec'd API oil will produce low wear results.

DMax's are notorious for being easy on oil, so any of the top shelf dino or syn oils will defintely suffice and perform well.

Do you have the LMM or the LBZ engine?

Arkapigdiesel-
Its the LMM engine. More questions. Would you trust a lube shop to do the work if you brought them the oil/filter or is it best to do it yourself? Also, can you trust the truck computer to tell when its time for an oil change or is it best to do it at regular (say 5K miles) intervals?
Thanks,
Volcanoguy

I don't trust any mechanics other than the dealer and those who have a good reputation via word of mouth. Even the dealer tries to rip you off but if I tell them to do something at least I feel comfortable that they know what they're doing. For little stuff, I always try to do it myself if I can.

I would run Schaeffer's products if you want the best...I don't always run their stuff due to it being difficult for me to acquire, but if it was easier that is all that would be in my truck.

Originally Posted By: D-Roc
I would run Schaeffer's products if you want the best...I don't always run their stuff due to it being difficult for me to acquire, but if it was easier that is all that would be in my truck.

I personally use Schaeffer's oils and all of their diesel oils easily run 10K to start with on your engine. Amsoil is fine stuff too. When you stop and think about you have to admit that Rotella,Delo,Delvac,Ursa,Tection all do well at the proper intervals.
Schaeffer's is hard to beat if you're looking at synthetics that deliver long intervals at a decent price. Buying it is a real value if you buy the $300 order. The oil is priced well and the 131 Neutra is one of the best diesel additives on the market. Ditto for their greases and gear oils.

I hope you enjoy your new Duramax. It's definitely one of the quieter engines. I have not heard alot of feedback about long-term durability yet.

Originally Posted By: volcanoguy
Arkapigdiesel-
Its the LMM engine. More questions. Would you trust a lube shop to do the work if you brought them the oil/filter or is it best to do it yourself? Also, can you trust the truck computer to tell when its time for an oil change or is it best to do it at regular (say 5K miles) intervals?
Thanks,
Volcanoguy

HE double hockey sticks NO! I would never let the lube place monkeys touch my truck, even if I did bring them the oil and the filter. No one cares for your truck as you would.

Disregard when the truck tells you to change oil. The only thing that I will trust as far as custom tailoring my OCI (oil change interval) is oil analysis.

Another thing....GM uses a 700 lb. gorilla to put the oil filter on. When I did my first oil change, I had to have my wife run me up to Auto Zone in the middle of an oil change in order to purchase a vice grip chain strap wrench. An end cap filter wrench rounded the shoulders off of the end of the filter, and the channel lock style oil filter wrench wouldn't budge the filter either.

By the time I was finished with the chain vice grip wrench the filter was darn near totally collapsed. I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE SEEN A FILTER ON THAT TIGHT. I exhausted every four letter word multiple times throughout the oil filter spin off.

There are numerous guys on thedieselplace.com that have experienced the same thing with the first oil and filter change. I'd highly recommend getting a Fumoto valve with a nipple for future oil changes. I have a Fumoto on every vehicle I own.

great truck that you have! i've got an 02' dmax that i bought new. i've used rotella products in it since new. truck still works like new. bottom line is use a good well known product and you can't go wrong. regular maintenance is the key......enjoy your truck........

Rotella T Syn is probably the easiest to get at Wal Mart but Delo, Schaeffer's and Mobil 1 are all great oils as well if you can find them. I am speaking of the 5w40 grades specifically.

I would be more concerned about the tranny than the engine. JMHO.

I would not be concerned about running syn. The trannies have a good track record, make sure you change it out as well, go syn here as well.

Originally Posted By: volcanoguy

Its the LMM engine.

Make sure whoever changes your oil uses a CJ-4 oil
That particulate filter won't like the older stuff.

Originally Posted By: D-Roc

Infact here in canada seems impossible find this product

Rabbler, Mephy,Droc and any other of you Canucks I am actively seeking Canadian distributors and resellers of Schaeffers, should you come across anyone that may be interested please send them my way. Thanks.

The Allison transmission already has synthetic oil in it. It is called TranSynd. When it is time to replace it, you could buy Amsoil Torque Drive and save some money, yet use a superior chemical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back