Redline 5w20, 5000miles, Subaru Forester 2006, 2li

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.scooby.gr/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=280&d=1204731026

Redline 5w20, 3700miles, Subaru Forester 2006, 2liter Naturally Aspirated engine.

Mixed driving, including a little mad and even less sand, all than in about 6 months.

Fe 10.2
Ag 0
Al 5.7
Cr 1.3
Cu 10.8
Mg 11.6
Na 33
Ni 0
Pb 2.1
Si 42
Sn 12.3
Ti 0
B 3.6
Mo 594
Zn 1073
H 5925

This is my first UOA, the vehicle has ~12000miles, thanks for your comments

What fuel economy are you getting? We only get the 2.5L motor, or the turbos that really suck gas. I have 0w-20 Mobil 1 in my '01 n.a. motor, and will post a UOA some time this summer.

That first link isn't working.
I'm lazy so I'll just copy my comments from the Forester board.
grin2.gif

At 12,000 miles, Subaru's are just starting to break in so I think the silicon could be from that (unless you have an aftermarket air filter).
Does your car spec a 20 weight? If so, RL is probably a great choice! The smallest engine we currently have here is 2.5.

Sodium is probably an additive in Redline and the Maganese may be an additive from your petrol (or if you used an additive).

What is "H"? Does your lab give you comments and do they measure the viscosity?

cheers3.gif

-Dennis

Al is high. Redline uses plenty of FM's. Moly is one of them. POE's have less friction than PAO's also.

I see high Al/Cr in many RL UOAs. That can't be good.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

Al is high.

Did you look @ the VOA?

The VOA means nothing. It also says that tin is 18 but in the UOA, tin is 0
54.gif

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
That first link isn't working.

http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/213404.html here is the link again (the full stop was the problem before)

At 12,000 miles, Subaru's are just starting to break in so I think the silicon could be from that (unless you have an aftermarket air filter).

No, I don't.

Does your car spec a 20 weight? If so, RL is probably a great choice! The smallest engine we currently have here is 2.5.

Yes, it recommends 0w20

What is "H"? Does your lab give you comments and do they measure the viscosity?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen

Unfortunately I didn't get any comments except that dirt is high, and they didn't measure viscosity or TBM. The oil has only 6000km (3728miles) and it is in the engine 6 months now.

Wow. $1.94 per L for gasoline. People must be driving 80 km/h on the highways with gas so expensive.

My Legacy uses 8.4 L/100km, but there is less city driving.

I calculated that driving a car the size of a Subaru at 100 vs 120km/h would be the equivalent to earning about $15/hour in Canada before 35% income taxes if gas is $0.90/L. At your prices, you could get $32/hr. Higher income tax rates and higher gas prices make the $15/hr point at an even lower speed than 100 km/h. Hours are calculated based on extra time spent because of driving slow.

What's the income tax rate there?

That RL VOA was from someone else's oil so it's not even relevant. I also think that sample was completely off. RL doesn't use Tin or Al as an additive.

Yeah, that was quite the controversial voa thread.
LOL.gif

My Al has been 4,5 or 6 since my first uoa at 13,500 miles (now 62,000). Although my oci's are 6,000 - 7,500 miles in a 2.5 turbo.

-Dennis

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Wow. $1.94 per L for gasoline. People must be driving 80 km/h on the highways with gas so expensive.

I do, but from what i see on the road, i am the exception. At least i manage 43-45 MPG driving to work with my Chevrolet Matiz .

Quote:

I also think that sample was completely off. RL doesn't use Tin or Al as an additive.

Ok, they don't use it in the oil as an additive; I'm thinking you have jumped to the conclusion that "it isn't there"

Terry indicates
Quote:

This was a virgin test pulled right out of the bottle run on the same test machinery as we formulate from. I have noticed "dirty" or non spec samples for many oil companies. Its not uncommon especially for the smaller outfits.

Bruce mentions
Quote:

I would say more like additive noise at the low leveals NO effect at all IMHO.

So 4ppm Al is something to worry about? If the blender cant maintain additive levels constant; not many conclusions can be drawn from minor fluctuations in ppm.

Last edited:
I have also sent this figures to redline, and below you can see the comments I have received:
Quote:
As far as the report goes, the wear looks good. The silicon is slightly elevated though this could be attributed to gasket/seal material from the new engine or dirt coming past the air filter.

Quote:
From this oil analysis we can't say how much longer it can go. With only 6000 km on the oil it should still have reasonable TBN reserve assuming it hasn't been over 12 months

Quote:
Our oils do contain friction modifiers, I would not expect a fuel mileage improvement with the Amsoil. The Sodium level base line for the oil is 23ppm, the Magnesium is 10ppm, not a significant difference. The Silicon level is elevated from the original 6ppm base line likely from seals or gaskets. The Aluminum at 5.7ppm is not high, the Tin base line is 7ppm.

Changing the oil at 15,000 miles or at least once a year should be fine, unfortunately the oil analysis doesn't give us the relevant information to help make a decision.

Here is my second UOA on the same oil.
I wrote to Dave that
Quote:
I am somehow worried regarding the MOLYBDENUM. I think I should change the oil (its one year in the engine now) even though blackstone says I can do another 4000 km.

He replied
Quote:
That report looks good, I don't see any issues or problems. The molybdenum is an additive in the oil, should be about 950 ppm

and he send me a VUO from Redline 5w30.
Should I go on using this oil even though I have for a year in the engine?
Thanks in advance for your advise.

Last edited:
Looks good. Si is a bit high. I would check on that. Thanks for the VOA too.

With the silicon that high I wouldn’t go any further.
Flash point is a little low but overall i think it's an excellent report.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back