2008 Corolla ATF question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got an 08' Corolla 1.8L automatic and was wondering what is the general consensus about the Toy type T-IV ATF. Is it an above average ATF? Has anyone with a Corolla defected away from OE ATF and if so, what kind of ATF plays well with it.

Just trying to feel out some of the fluids that Corolla owners are using and why.

Last edited:
drained my factory fill at 2200 miles, refilled with coastal 75w90, when I get 10K on the car (just over 9K) gonna dump the coastal and refill with amsoil 75W90 mtg on others recommendations.

mine is manual tranny though.

you gonna change it out and for lack of better terms, forget about it or do drain/refills every so often?

Hey O2,

I am going to do the standard pull the drain plug, measure exactly how much came out, and refill it with fresh. Thinking of doing that every 15K and dropping the pan and cleaning filter every 30K. I have one of those oil extractors from Pella that works pretty slick, so might go that route as well.

It will be about 3.2 qts. Filter is just a screen. Question for you, when you put your new gasket on the pan, will you use any sealant to hold the gasket in place so you can install the pan?

Not sure about that one mikered. Last few vehicles had non-serviceable interior transmissions filters and pan never had to be dropped. Last time I dropped tranny pans was on some old Blazers I had back in the day. You pose a good question, and will definitely have the final answer on that one way before dropping the pan.

Anyone have an idea about sealant to use when dropping the pan on the Corolla?

Last edited:
I have read about 100 internet discussions about T-IV as I also have a Corolla auto. What I have gained from all of them can be summarised as follows:

- T-IV is the Toyota branded ATF that meets the JWS3309 spec for Aisin Warner transmissions. This is most likely rebadged Mobil 3309 ATF. Mazda, Saab, Volvo also have rebranded ATFs for their Aisin Warner transmissions. Mobil 3309 is only available in bulk so for a Toyota, the risk-free option is T-IV ATF from the dealer. It is relatively cheap.

- T-IV is at best a mineral ATF and works well in Toyota autos that require it. The only caveat on this is that generally the small fours transaxles are quite hard on the ATF and the Toyota service schedule for the tranny is probably a bit too long. If you do regular drain/fills using the drain plug on the Corolla transaxle, you will not have a problem with T-IV. I do drain/fills at every scheduled service and the fluid costs me approx $AU 25

- There are other boutique ATFs that are recommended for use in transmissions requiring T-IV. However, they do not meet JWS3009 and so technically will void warranty. It is debateable whether this would ever be detected or enforced by the manufacturer should a manufacturing fault occur. However, if you want to go to a boutique or synthetic ATF, which seem to work as well or better than T-IV and allow longer drain intervals, the safe bet is to wait until after warranty.

Originally Posted By: Andrew
I have read about 100 internet discussions about T-IV as I also have a Corolla auto. What I have gained from all of them can be summarised as follows:

- T-IV is the Toyota branded ATF that meets the JWS3309 spec for Aisin Warner transmissions. This is most likely rebadged Mobil 3309 ATF. Mazda, Saab, Volvo also have rebranded ATFs for their Aisin Warner transmissions. Mobil 3309 is only available in bulk so for a Toyota, the risk-free option is T-IV ATF from the dealer. It is relatively cheap.

- T-IV is at best a mineral ATF and works well in Toyota autos that require it. The only caveat on this is that generally the small fours transaxles are quite hard on the ATF and the Toyota service schedule for the tranny is probably a bit too long. If you do regular drain/fills using the drain plug on the Corolla transaxle, you will not have a problem with T-IV. I do drain/fills at every scheduled service and the fluid costs me approx $AU 25

- There are other boutique ATFs that are recommended for use in transmissions requiring T-IV. However, they do not meet JWS3009 and so technically will void warranty. It is debateable whether this would ever be detected or enforced by the manufacturer should a manufacturing fault occur. However, if you want to go to a boutique or synthetic ATF, which seem to work as well or better than T-IV and allow longer drain intervals, the safe bet is to wait until after warranty.

What is your tranny fluid change interval? Is there any synthetic fluid in the T-IV at all, or is is all conventional? Would you ever switch to Amsoil or equivalent after your 60K warranty is over? How many drains and refills do you do to get most of the fluid out?

Last edited:
Great post and information Andrew. I am going to stick with the risk-free choice and simply go with T-IV fluid. I ended up doing the same thing with a Honda tranny and just ran the Honda Z1
rather than going boutique. Like the Honda transmission I had, I have read that the automatic in the Corolla is rather picky with ATF fluid.

Andrew, have you had the opportunity to drop the pan and get to the transmission screen filter yet?

Thanks for the information!
thumbsup2.gif

i have a corolla auto that has never may have never seen trans fluid changes before i got a hold of it. i changed it out using Penzold trans oil. i didn't drop the pan because i don't see the need for it. i will be changing it every 30-40k as the fluid is very cheap (8 bucks.) speaking of trans fluid, i need to pick up some for my accord. anyone knows a good place that carry it beside dealer. they want a lot of it.

M1, I know of a dealership that has it for 5.xx per quart. I ordered about 24 quarts of Honda ATF Z1 from them a few months ago and shipping was like 15 bucks total to me in Wisconsin. The place is called Keenans Honda of PA. IM me if you want more info on that.

Originally Posted By: mikered30

What is your tranny fluid interval? Is there any synthetic fluid in the T-IV at all, or is is all conventional?

In Australia, the scheduled service interval is 6 months or 10000 KM on Corollas.

In 6 months, I do approx 8500 KM, and a drain fill changes approx 3 litres ATF. So I guess I change approx 50% ATF every 6 months. The reason I am so agressive is that when I bought the car, twice it gave a huge jerk from a standing start on hills. It hasn't done it since so I am starting to think it may have been slightly underfilled from the factory (my mechanic slightly overfills it now). I am planning to now do ATF drain/fills on every second scheduled service or 12 month/20000 KM

I don't have any accurate information about the composition of T-IV but if you look at the mobil website at Mobil 3309 ATF (which most people assume is what Toyota rebadge to sell T-IV), it doesn't say it is a semi-synth or a synth: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Other_Products/Mobil_ATF_3309.aspx You would think Mobil would advertise the fact, if it did have synth base stocks in it

Last edited:
Is there any benefit to using Lubegard red with the T-IV or is it over kill? And my last question,can the Toytota WS fluid be used instead of the T-IV, I vaguely remember a TSB concerning that?

I haven't asked my mechanic to do a pan drop as yet. Currently, my car has approx 20,000 KM and the Aus service schedule says to inspect the transmission fluid at 40000 KM and to do a service at 80000 KM. Since I am doing ATF drain/fills at every service, I probably wouldn't need a pan drop until 80,000 KM but I will probably do it at 40,000 KM

I tend to agree with you Andrew. If we are consistently conducting drain and refills (3.2 or so quarts), I think the tranny pan drop will be a rare service for me.

Is there any benefit to using Lubegard red with the T-IV or is it over kill? And my last question,can the Toytota WS fluid be used instead of the T-IV, I vaguely remember a TSB concerning that?

As for adding lubeguard, if you drain/fill ATF more regularly than the manual recommends, I don't see that it would be needed. I guess it depends on your attitude to additives since I have heard that LG is a good product. I personally don't like using them.

I have never seen a post that claimed to know the composition of WS. However, it seems to be an ATF that has lower viscosity than T-IV (for economy gains?) and allows longer drain intervals. Because of the longer drains, some have assumed it has some sythetic basestocks in it.

I have never seen any official Toyota document that claims you can use WS where T-IV is recommended.

Originally Posted By: Andrew

As for adding lubeguard, if you drain/fill ATF more regularly than the manual recommends, I don't see that it would be needed. I guess it depends on your attitude to additives since I have heard that LG is a good product. I personally don't like using them.

I have never seen a post that claimed to know the composition of WS. However, it seems to be an ATF that has lower viscosity than T-IV (for economy gains?) and allows longer drain intervals. Because of the longer drains, some have assumed it has some sythetic basestocks in it.

I have never seen any official Toyota document that claims you can use WS where T-IV is recommended.

Thanks for your help Andrew. I sorta found the TSB regarding the WS fluid. There is a TSB for the 05 corolla in the US, it is TSB TC010-07, but you have to pay to read it at AllData.com or any other site that has TSBs. Since I am not paying for it, I will never know what the TSB says. Anyone have any insight?

drain and fill every 15k miles and you will be fine and never need it flushed.. its that simple... use the t4 from toyota.as far as the screen i would REPLACE it every 100k miles.. the fuel filter should be changed every 50k miles no matter what yota says

Originally Posted By: mikeg5
the fuel filter should be changed every 50k miles no matter what yota says

Have fun dropping your gas tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back