Additive that needs to be added to diesel fuel for

Status
Not open for further replies.
a 2001 Dodge diesel.

We've been told that the low sulfur content in the new diesel fuels is what's causing issues with the fuel pumps on these trucks.

Anyone know about using a fuel additive with the diesel engines, and/or what additive are you using in your older diesel engine

The process of removal of sulphur from diesel also strips it of some of its components that provide lubricity, so, after sulphur removal, the refiners are supposed to add additives to restore the lost lubricity.

Supposedly this addition is not always done properly, hence some reports of ULSD being too "dry" i.e. not providing enough lubrication to the fuel system components.

I am concerned about this too, hence I use Howes Diesel Treat as a fuel additive in the trucks I maintain.

There is hours of reading on this topic at DieselTruckResource.com, a search will bring up all kinds of info.

Many people report good results with adding 2-stroke oil to their diesel, I will try that out.

Add Supertech 2-cycle oil; half quart per tank. You should really look into getting a mechanical fuel pressure gauge (no isolator) and lift pump kit like a Walbro or Vulcan. Not sure if fuel additives will really help in the long run. The ULSD has other additives now to make up for the sulfur.

I use Boss TLX diesel lubricant, stabilizer, cleaner and cetane booster, $17.00 per litre, treats 5000 litres diesel fuel, also use Walmart outboard two stroke, best deal I can find per litre.
Use on a 92 Cummins Dodge Diesel.

Cyprs

I used to use a lot of Redline diesel fuel catalyst while I still had my 93 diesel Jetta. I was getting 5-10 gallons of old diesel fuel regularly from dump trucks that had been scrapped from a friend of mine so I added some DFC just about every time I got some of the free fuel.

I have an 01.5 Dodge with the Cummins and I run a mixture of Power Service (white jug in winter-silver jug in summer) and SuperTech TC-W3 2 cycle oil.

A lot of Vw diesel owners have successfully used Stanadyne, Howes, Power Service, Schaeffer's Diesel Treat, and the Lube Control products from LCD Inc.
I've never had a fuel problem, fortunately, in 130k miles, so they must work!

Bio instead of other additives:
My 25 year old tractor does NOT like ULSD, very noisy. Even the common non-sponsor additives and not so common sponsor additives appear to have much affect. I am so impressed with the study, I am going back to bio-diesel, this time as an 2% additive (otherwise known as B2). My Tractor always loved it! Beats the _____ out of all the BITOG sponsors.
Easy Sources:
Checking my previous sources from 1 year ago, I discovered that Bio is becoming more mature in the market. In addition to the B2/B5/B20 along interstates and major farm areas, I found that petrol distributors keep it in stock in their tank farms. The one in Sherman Texas not only takes B** to stations but fills private tanks on farms, commercial trucking firms. In addition, for no extra fee, they will custom mix your B** into your container.
My grand plan:
After hemming and hawing, I decided that it is much more efficient to do 55 gal drum exchange with them, and pump as I need it at my shed. (same principal as the propane tank exchanges.) Once I get my tractor back, that is what I am going to do.

Originally Posted By: ottomatic
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178848

Here's a link on a Lubricity study.
[font:Verdana][/font]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back