high sulfur diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is that the stuff that they used to use for street-use?

At work they have a tank of it and it is used for farm equipment. My family just uses regular diesel sold at the stores.

Given I know little about all of this, it seems that high sulfur would keep it clean better since it is used in off-road "dusty" conditions. Its just high in pollutants, which is the reason for its ban on the streets.

So what is the bottom line? Will it burn cleaner or stronger, just pollute more?

ULSD is better diesel than high sulfur diesel because it doesn't make as many corrosive byproducts, from what I remember, so it is easier on oil, your fuel system, and your engine.

This is from what I remember, correct me if I am wrong.

EDIT: Well, I am wrong on at least part of that. It has less lubricity than regular diesel and may cause seal shrinkage due to less aromatic content which also results in a marginally lower energy level. I guess you might wanna throw a touch of two stroke oil in it if you are really worried. The seal shrink is more of a problem with older than newer vehicles.

ULSD has been used for over 15 years now and other than the seal shrink problems it doesn't seem to have as bad of rap as even ethanol blended fuel.

Last edited:
High sulfur diesel (off highway) is dyed red. Until recently, "red" diesel was bascially home heating fuel with some additives added. The EPA mandate for ultra low sulfur, on road fuel went into effect in 2006.

ultra-low sulfur diesel= low sulfur diesel = non-highway = 500ppm or greater

Biggest difference is that "red" diesel has no state and federal "road" taxes levied, so it's much cheaper than clear "on highway" fuel. (also the red dye is potent, so any added to a on highway vehicle tank makes it easy catch tax cheats when the tank gets "dipped" at safety inspection checkpoints.)

Older, mechanical-injection diesels like higher-sulfur fuel.

http://www.clean-diesel.org/nonroad.html
http://www.clean-diesel.org/highway.html

Drew

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew2000

Older, mechanical-injection diesels like higher-sulfur fuel.

Only because it lubricates better. The sulphur has nothing to do with lubrication though. Its the process of removing the sulphur that makes untreated ULSF hard on injection pumps and other fuel components.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back