Mobil 1 ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
so I decided to not be cheap decided to flush my tranny (97 Avalon A541E tranny) with synthetic ATF. I feel like the transmission can benefit from a syn more so than my engine. Anyway, I went to the store and found Mobil 1 ATF and was going to buy it, when I noticed the Mercon V on the label. It did not say anything on the back of the bottle about it being compatible with Dex II or III (which is what is specified for my transmission). My question is can I use it in my transmission with no problems, or should I look for something else?

Dexron III is no longer a spec as GM quit licensing it and superceded it with Dexron IV. It's compatible they just can't say it is approved.

Glad to hear that, as this was the only fully synthetic transmission fluid that I have seen in any of the stores I have been to. The fluid isn't cheap, but having better protection and not having to worry about changing the fluid for at least 50k miles is worth it. THANKS AGAIN!

Originally Posted By: MGregoir
Dexron III is no longer a spec as GM quit licensing it and superceded it with Dexron IV. It's compatible they just can't say it is approved.

They superseded it with Dexron VI, not IV.

The quality of the product is unknown as the fluid is no longer licensed. It could be Dexron-III(H) or worse, Dexron-III(G) in there.

I personally think that with the newer Group II and III base stocks, oxidation isn't going to be the cause of fluid failure. Friction failure would probably occur first, so one should pay more attention to the additive package.

Yeah, that was a typo. It's Dexron-IIIH fluid as far as I have seen, and Mobil has said that they can't make the M1 transmission fluid meet Dexron-VI and maintain compatibility with most transmissions.

Dexron-VI is thinner and has a proprietary additive package with only one source, there is some flexibility with the base oil but all of it is semi-synthetic. GM developed it with Petro-Canada and an additive maker and all of GM's fluid is Petro-Canada.

The main difference I see with Mobil 1 vs. Amsoil or Royal Purple, is that Mobil 1 is not a major multi-vehicle fluid. It is recommended for domestics (mostly), but Amsoil ATF and Royal Purple Max-ATF are multi-vehicle fluids for a lot imports and domestics. Amsoil is the only one of those three to offer an ATF that is recommended for Dexron VI and Mercon SP applications, along with the other recommendations.

I hear that Mobil 1 ATF and Royal Purple Max-ATF are great products, I've just never used them.

It'd be great if Amsoil would do a study of ATFs, then perhaps we could see a better comparison.

Originally Posted By: parimento1
Glad to hear that, as this was the only fully synthetic transmission fluid that I have seen in any of the stores I have been to. The fluid isn't cheap, but having better protection and not having to worry about changing the fluid for at least 50k miles is worth it. THANKS AGAIN!

yeah it will last that long BUT why not do drain and fills every 15k miles and never have to worry about a flush ever again?? thats what i would do. its cheaper that way imo less time too

I replaced Mobil 1 Dexron III syntethic with Castrol Dexron VI about 10,000 miles ago with no issues. I would have used Mobil 1 ATF Dexron III. However it is no long available with the same formulation as others have previously mentioned.

Originally Posted By: mikeg5
Originally Posted By: parimento1

yeah it will last that long BUT why not do drain and fills every 15k miles and never have to worry about a flush ever again?? thats what i would do. its cheaper that way imo less time too

The cheapest way (assuming you started with a tranny in good shaped, not crudded all up) I think would be to do a cooler line flush with Amsoil ATF and install a Magnefine filter and sample at 50K for a UOA. Amsoil ATF says its good for 50K in severe and 100K in normal service. I certainly would not go beyond 50K without a UOA. Drain & refills at 15K-20K are good alternative if you have no Magnefine filter as they freshed up the ATF and swap some ATF with wear metals for some fresh fluid.

You could also have used Mobil DEXRON-VI ATF.
In fact part of the Mobil 1 ATF product data sheet says "Mobil DEXRON-VI ATF is recommended for 2006 and newer GMs". More importantly it goes on to say "and for improved performance in 2005 and earlier GM vehicles".

Quote:
It'd be great if Amsoil would do a study of ATFs, then perhaps we could see a better comparison.

I would have rather seen them do a white paper on ATF's than gear oils.

Buster, don't hold your breath, but don't be surprised if something like that shows up(maybe in time for the 35th Anniversay Convention). They've pretty well be busy with plant expansion, new products, new data sheets, computer software upgrade and a few other things on the side. And it is still a very small company--guys wear a number of hats.

Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF
Mobil Dexron-VI ATF
Mobil ATF D/M
Mobil Multi-Vehicle ATF
Mobil ATF 3309
Mobil Type F ATF

Never realized how many ATF's Mobil makes.

Don't forget Mercon-V and their Delvac line.

Saturate a market with products, even if similar, will keep sales happy. Mobil, Castrol, Valvoline..... all have many overlapping products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back