Can I run 15w-40 Delo in my Isuzu Rodeo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have an 1998 Isuzu Rodeo with a V6 that uses about 4-5 quarts of oil between changes. This is not uncommon apparently, because the manual says brand-new the engine can use 1qt/1000miles. Anyhow, other Isuzu owners have commented that they cured the problem by running 15w-40 Delo in their rodeos. Will this hurt my engine if I have been running 10w-30? My mechanic has checked for leaks and finds none at all.

Thanks,

Brett

No problem using 15W-40 whatsoever. The HDEO's 15W-40's like Delo are very good oils. In fact, in a warmer climate like yours, that would be one of my first choices in oil if my vehicle was using a fair amount of 30 weight and I wanted to reduce consumption by moving up to a 40 weight.

Delo 15W-40 is a great all-around oil and would probably do fine; you might want to try a conventional 10W-40 and see if that cuts the oil usage before going to the Delo, though. Theoretically the 10W-40 would be a little thinner on start-up and would come up to operating temperature a little quicker, and there might be a miniscule fuel savings as a result.

I ran it, well, a 50-50 mix of the Delo 15W40 with 5W20 and it ran well, my Izusu leaks oil but less then a quart in 4000 miles, 145,000 on odometer now. Sounds like a diesel but runs okay. the 15W40 will do fine in a warmer climate

4-5 quarts between changes. So you basically just have to do a filter change since you are always adding fresh oil.

Originally Posted By: Brett257
Hello,

I have an 1998 Isuzu Rodeo with a V6 that uses about 4-5 quarts of oil between changes. This is not uncommon apparently, because the manual says brand-new the engine can use 1qt/1000miles. Anyhow, other Isuzu owners have commented that they cured the problem by running 15w-40 Delo in their rodeos. Will this hurt my engine if I have been running 10w-30? My mechanic has checked for leaks and finds none at all.

Thanks,

Brett

Find out which oil brand fared best using 15W-40 from other Isuzu owners. The brand with the most positive feedback would be my choice.

Actually I ran two seperate cycles of RX to try to stop my leaks in the 97 Rodeo and it basically did nothing and everything appears as it did prior to the treatments. No harm done. Every oil I have tried in this V6 gets beat up from synthetic to convetional. Now using Maxlife but nothing changes, just keeps running and leaking small amounts of oil. But, can't complain, still runs okay.

Originally Posted By: Brett257
Hello,

Thanks,

Brett

I have 99 Rodeo about 133K miles on it. I have the same issue like you. I think I have read from other site that most recommend this oil Rotella 15W40 and I tried it in summer than switch it back to a thinner one on winter. I live in MN, it got so cold. If you find any cure for this oil consumption, please advice me too. Thanks.

Last edited:
I have a 98 Rodeo with 128k. I've read in a few places that rodeo's mainly 98 and up to at least 02 have faulty rings. they're not broken or you'd hear some serious noises and would have some serious compression loss as well as large volumes of smoke, But they have the tendency to be a bit sticky so you don't have the best seal against your cylinder wall. Some cases are more severe than others. I'll burn almost a quart every 1k to 1.5k which I don't consider bad mostly because i never have a poof of smoke indicating worn valve guide seals. I just run it and maintain it. I check the plugs every now and again to see where it might be burning oil but it seams fairly even across the 6 but very slight. I burn Valvoline conventional 5w 30 or 10w 30 depending on the seasons

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wilkesw
I have a 98 Rodeo with 128k. I've read in a few places that rodeo's mainly 98 and up to at least 02 have faulty rings. they're not broken or you'd hear some serious noises and would have some serious compression loss as well as large volumes of smoke, But they have the tendency to be a bit sticky so you don't have the best seal against your cylinder wall. Some cases are more severe than others. I'll burn almost a quart every 1k to 1.5k which I don't consider bad mostly because i never have a poof of smoke indicating worn valve guide seals. I just run it and maintain it. I check the plugs every now and again to see where it might be burning oil but it seams fairly even across the 6 but very slight. I burn Valvoline conventional 5w 30 or 10w 30 depending on the seasons

If sticking rings are the problem, then he should take out all his spark plugs, pour in some Seafoam, and let it sit overnight. After that he should crank the engine with plugs out, and then re-install the plugs, and the rings should have most of the deposits removed, ending the ring sticking.

However, if the rings have become weak or worn, a rebuilt engine is the only solution.

I have a 96 Trooper that I'm on my second ARx cleaning. My rig has the dreaded lifter tick which has driven me mad trying to fix it. Currently running Delo 10w30 but will switch to Delo 0w30 when treatment is complete.

The engine specs 10w30 so why not try an HDEO 10w30 like Rotella, Delo or even Mystik? You can even add a pint of MMO on top of the 5.7 quart oil change.

I personally feel that 15w40 is too thick for the engine but you can use what you want.

Rob

hey thanks I'll try that. I'm running a fast track cycle of A-RX now and I want to see if it helps any so I'll try it after so in about 2 tanks of gas I'll be able too. I never thought of that. would it work tho if it's a v6 and your pistons sit at an angle instead of letting the sea foam sit entirely on the top of the piston which it would do for the 2.2's

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back