Tie-Rod Tech, MOOG v. Spicer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay both my original outer tie-rods have play. Should I also replace the inners at the same time ... or if it ain't broke don't fix it? I know Inners cost a pretty penny in labour to do
frown.gif
Such a job would be 2 outer rods, 2 inner rods and Alignment.

Also as a former service writer most people I knew really liked MOOG front end parts. A few days I spoke to a parts guy whom I respect alot and he told me he has a disdain for MOOG and go with Spicer. I have also heard the Spicer makes AC Delco branded front end parts. I always though Spicer was the inferior brand.

I am specificially looking at the premium OE replacement MOOG & Spicer lines. (Not the cheapo "Service Grade" Chinese Spicers)

Last edited:
Moog "Problem Solver" line beats ANYTHING else available, including anyones OE. Moog and Spicer now have the same parent company. Moog still the best.

Bob

My oe GM AC-delco Spicers have 100k+ hard Boston miles with no play. The Moogs need constant lubing due to the metal on metal design. Spicer has a polymer bearing that does well with a lifetime lube or less frequent lubes.

You also pay for all the NASCAR sponsership with the Moogs. The Spicer uses newer technology.

That is what my research has come up with.

Inners don't go out like outers do. They seem to last maybe 3 times as long.
Buy, borrow, or rent the tool and do the inners. It is a long modified socket. It's not hard once you have the outer tie rods off. All you do is unscrew them, really.

Originally Posted By: gregmp
My oe GM AC-delco Spicers have 100k+ hard Boston miles with no play. The Moogs need constant lubing due to the metal on metal design. Spicer has a polymer bearing that does well with a lifetime lube or less frequent lubes.

You also pay for all the NASCAR sponsership with the Moogs. The Spicer uses newer technology.

That is what my research has come up with.

Too busy doing this $h!+ for a living to do any research! Pardon my best guess after 30 years of installing aftermarket parts.

Almost humbly yours,

Bob

Inners see a much smaller circle of rotation, or whatever the term is. Also well protected in those accordian boots. However I'm sure they can under-enginner them to compensate.

I would on a lark check the price on a remanned rack & pinion before commiting to inner tie rods, you never know... kind of like buying a rebuilt axle instead of messing with individual CV joints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back