Pennz. Platinum 5w-30; 5,017 miles; '05 Subaru STi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle: 2005 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Engine: 2.5L Turbo
Engine Mods: COBB Stage 1 (ECU reflash providing an additional 25 HP)
Fuel Type: Gasoline (Unleaded); 92 Octane
Air Filter: OEM Paper
Oil Filter: OEM (Part #15208AA080)
Oil Capacity: 4.8 Quarts
Make-Up Oil Used: None
Additives Used: One treatment of Techron fuel system cleaner approx. 200 miles prior to oil change.
Oil in Use: 08/03/07 - 02/24/08 (206 Days)
Driving Conditions: I would consider myself a semi-aggressive driver in general. Vehicle is used for commuting 17 miles to/from work, 90% highway driving at speeds between 60 and 80 MPH. Also driven on weekends around town. No racing or other track driving.

Oil_Analysis_For_Posting_2008-02-24.gif

Blackstone's Comments:
Wear continued to increase in the latest sample from your STI, though nothing is high enough to point to an obvious mechanical problem developing. If you did any hard driving or racing on this fill that could explain the increase. A trace of fuel was found but this level isn't a problem. The viscosity of the oil remained normal, despite the fuel dilution, and no other harmful contaminants were found. The TBN read 2.8 so you had some active additive remaining. At 33,232 miles we have no new problems to report.

My Comments:
My potassium level continues to drop, so I feel pretty sure that I don't have any major coolant leaks in the engine. I will continue to monitor it and hope that it stays the same or drops off further toward zero.

The air filter was replaced as part of the 30,000 mile service ... no change in silicon level. At least it stays pretty consistent from UOA to UOA.

I have to admit that I'm slightly underwhelmed at the results of this UOA. Slightly worse iron and copper levels, slightly better lead level. The low flashpoint is disappointing...perhaps I do have some fuel dilution issues.

BTW, the oil was replaced with more Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 and an OEM oil filter. I'll plan to run it around 5,000 miles and then I think I'm going to switch back to German Castrol as I have a decent size stash to use up.

Any and all thoughts are appreciated!

I agree that a couple of PP will tell a better story, and that also if things dont improve go back to what was working better for you. GC

Maybe your modded STI probably favors a thicker oil.
I know there are some other turbo Subaru folks running this, but not too many (if any) have posted uoa's.

Hey, how many Group III's would stay in grade after 5k miles in this application?

19.gif

-Dennis

Looks like GC MAY be the better choice here. I'm guessing that your modded STI likes thicker oil.

You may want to try Rotella 5w40 as well....

Iron, copper, and nickel seem elevated. I would try a 5W40, or maybe Rotella 10W30 (CJ4) if you can find it. And if money is no object, there are the RLI oils. And try an Amsoil EaO oil filter.

Did you use Techron Cleaner 200 miles prior to the two GC oil changes?

I read a year ago that Techron can spike the copper number. It was posted here at BITOG - so hopefully that person will read this and explain it further.

Thanks for the comments everyone, much appreciated.

I will stick with the PP for my current 5,000 interval and get another UOA on it. But I think at that time I will go back to the GC as stated earlier.

Triple_Se7en: I don't think I used Techron 200 miles prior to the two GC changes. I'd have to look back through my notes to be sure. I only occasionally use Techron when I think of it...and usually I don't think of it. I realize that the use of Techron can cause spikes in certain elements...so perhaps that explains my slight elevation in copper.

Overall I'm pretty please with the PP overall. Not great, not bad. Certainly a great performer for the price I paid ($0.99/quart after mail-in rebate) so I suppose I don't really have much to complain about.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
And try an Amsoil EaO oil filter.

Why is that? The report seems to show that the OEM filter is doing a good job. Or is the Amsoil just that much better?
Sort of
32.gif

What oil are you running these days?

Andy, could you post this on nasioc or are you too busy?
55.gif
There's a lot of curiousity about this oil, but not too many Subaru turbo uoa's.

-Dennis

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bluesubie

Why is that? The report seems to show that the OEM filter is doing a good job. Or is the Amsoil just that much better?

I agree with Dennis, the OEM oil filters seem to be working just fine for me. Unless I run the Amsoil EaO filter for more than one 5,000 mile interval, I don't think I'd get my money's worth out of it.

Andy, could you post this on nasioc or are you too busy?
55.gif
There's a lot of curiousity about this oil, but not too many Subaru turbo uoa's.

-Dennis

Done...
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=21379720#post21379720

Why is that? The report seems to show that the OEM filter is doing a good job. Or is the Amsoil just that much better?............................

-Dennis

Since the OP stated he was underwhelmed with this UOA, I assumed he wanted to experiment with other filters and oils. The EaO filter is a filter worth experimenting with.

It is pretty unusual to see a Subaru UOA with nickel above zero, and his is 3ppm. Cause for concern I would think. Maybe it is an early warning about a crack developing in the oil pickup tube? Or maybe it is nothing.

Why is that? The report seems to show that the OEM filter is doing a good job. Or is the Amsoil just that much better?............................

-Dennis

Since the OP stated he was underwhelmed with this UOA, I assumed he wanted to experiment with other filters and oils. The EaO filter is a filter worth experimenting with.

It is pretty unusual to see a Subaru UOA with nickel above zero, and his is 3ppm. Cause for concern I would think. Maybe it is an early warning about a crack developing in the oil pickup tube? Or maybe it is nothing.
That is an interesting comment about the cracked oil pickup tube ,is that a common problem? The numbers arent that different .I wonder about the results of another PP run at the same miles .

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Has anyone noticed the low Al and Pb levels on the first two samples event though they sheared well into 5w-20 territory?
All the numbers are low .The miles are 2,500

Originally Posted By: Steve S
............That is an interesting comment about the cracked oil pickup tube ,is that a common problem? ........

There is not an epidemic of cracked pickup tubes in the 2.5L turbo motors, but reports of catastrophic engine damage from this defect have been showing up at nasioc and iwsti over the last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back