Which ATF would you Choose to replace Matic D?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I am not....stupid.

There is nothing special about Matic D. It is basically just repackaged Dexron III. It is a conventional fluid that has shown to be absolutely horrible. Hense why Nissan has Matic J. This is a better fluid if I was going to stay OEM, which I am not.

Cooper,
Im currently using Mobil 1 DexronIII/Mercon Full Synthetic (which no longer exist) and is now called Mobil 1 Mercon V Synthetic. I've had this in my '04 Altima 2.5 S automatic tranny since the summer of '06 and the tranny shifts no different than when new or no different than any other Altima that I have driven for that matter(meaning it's fine). I understand what you mean about the 1-2 shift but, I don't find it objectionable, just noticeable sometimes. The next time that I drain/refill, I probably move around a bit with all of the different fluids available today. Not sure what I'll try next. Probably wait to see what others are suggesting and go from there.

Your choice.

I was told it is slightly different to Dexron III in that it has special additives/cleaners added to it to help keep clean, some extra sensitive internal components, so communication to ECU was not interfered with.

I got this from a couple of different Nissan's Parts dealers. I never followed up with Nissan formally.

Nissan propaganda ???. I am not going to debate your decision.

By the way, sorry if my response implied any disrepect, I was only trying to help, and just being clear in what I would do.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cooper
There is nothing special about Matic D. It is basically just repackaged Dexron III

You are absolutely wrong on this, Matic D is NOT repackaged DexronIII, they are far apart when it comes to FM levels.

I know this very well becoz I have played with all kinds of fluids on my maxima and have determined that the present juice in my tranny i.e Castrol MV Import ATF is the one that seems to be best holding up. No banging into gear or shuddering.

That in itself holds truth to the fact that the OEM fluids though weak in base stocks do have something in them that make them quite unique. Their weak chemistry is overcome with the right FM levels leaving the fluid to remain potent for a longer period than non-speced fluids like DexronIII.

The Pennzoil is Synthetic Blend ATF.

I retract this statement. Pennzoil Multi-vehicle ATF is no longer a syn blend. I just spoke to a Shell Oil Blender (engineer) and he confirmed this to me. He also stated that the website is now incorrect. This was not customer service I spoke to, but an actual engineering blender for Shell Oil.

I retract this statement. Pennzoil Multi-vehicle ATF is no longer a syn blend. I just spoke to a Shell Oil Blender (engineer) and he confirmed this to me. He also stated that the website is now incorrect. This was not customer service I spoke to, but an actual engineering blender for Shell Oil.

What is it then?

Originally Posted By: The Critic

What is it then?

conventional.

1-2 harsh Nissan shift is normal, even with fresh OE fluid.

Castrol Import or Pennzoil Multivehicle are good choice. Mercon-V should also be considered.
If you have more money, full synthetics like RP or M1 should be considered.

Nissan sells a tranny additive to help with the matic-D shift issue. Great fluid???? NOT!!!!! Try a bottle of lubegard with your current fill.

I personaly wouldn't call the 1-2 shifts harsh(but that's just me!). I'd just call it noticable. It feels normal to me depending on throttle input. Sometimes it's noticable and sometimes there's absolutly nothing at all,(SMOOOOOTH!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back