Fuel Cleaners, why is it never recommended?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it funny that we have TopTier fuels with 2x EPA detergent levels, ULSD, and a whole array of quality fuel injection cleaning products on our local autostore shelves... but that manufacturers simply do not recommend in any way to use them; much less how often! As a side note, most companies also don't recommend any sort of fuel filter change. I wonder why this is?? (discuss)
12.gif

Most companies don't recommend a fuel filter change? My manual has it right in it to change it every 60,000 miles... It's been done twice in my car. I use fuel treatment at every fill-up too (FP60/FP3000) and my engine hasn't spontaneously combusted yet.
LOL.gif

Telling people that your gas needs extra additives since your company can't be bothered to put enough in isn't good for business.

Plus gas companies don't know exactly what's in every gas additive out there, so they won't tell to use them for fear that you'll mess something up and drag them to court over it.

Auto manufacturers?

Because they have no control over the contents of some of those cleaners. Some of them might damage the car, especially those people who don't follow the instructions.

Probably because when the engine doesn't run right, the dealer can charge the car owner $150 for their fuel injection service.

My taco fuel filter is in the fule tank. Good till it gets cloged (lifetime filter). I personally think this is stupid. I've seen to many clogged fuel filters in my short time changing them (when I remember).

To much gas cleaner can be a bad thing. Search the UOA section one guy was adding gas cleaner every fill up, it killed his oil.

Gas already has cleaners in it. I forget what it is called but some gas manufs have gotten toghter for some kind of better gas standard.

Heres my $0.02.
1- Fuel System Cleaners: Sure there are some good ones! The ones recomended here at BITOG. But, there are some lousey ones out there too and the MFG of our vehicles don't know what their unaware customers are going to buy at the Dollar Store/Tree/General/All for a Dollar.

2- Fuel Filters: Have you seen some of these "Fuel Filters/Pumps/Float Assemblys" that are housed in our gas tanks???

Originally Posted By: Gregory

My taco fuel filter is in the fule tank. Good till it gets cloged (lifetime filter). I personally think this is stupid. I've seen to many clogged fuel filters in my short time changing them (when I remember).

To much gas cleaner can be a bad thing. Search the UOA section one guy was adding gas cleaner every fill up, it killed his oil.

Gas already has cleaners in it. I forget what it is called but some gas manufs have gotten toghter for some kind of better gas standard.

What year model is your Taco?

"but that manufacturers simply do not recommend in any way to use them; much less how often! "

And yet, the dealer has fuel system cleaner available in the parts department.

Originally Posted By: mikered30
Some of the newer cars have a "lifetime" fuel filter

Like I have said before...the manufacturer calls them "lifetime" filters because it sounds better than "will cost you 500. to replace" filters. Dropping the tank and replacing the fuel pump assembly just to replace the fuel tank will cost you money and it's much more appealing to market them as "lifetime".

Many of the in tank fuel filters are HUGE as compared the the rinky dink filters used years ago. So Life Time is not so far off.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Many of the in tank fuel filters are HUGE as compared the the rinky dink filters used years ago. So Life Time is not so far off.

No they aren't...what you are seeing is the fuel pump assembly. Not the entire fuel filter. Lifetime is far off. These also require maintenance despite what the manufacturer says. It's easy to apply the lifetime maintenance tag, especially for vehicles under warranty.

Originally Posted By: Dominic
I find it funny that we have TopTier fuels with 2x EPA detergent levels, ULSD, and a whole array of quality fuel injection cleaning products on our local autostore shelves... but that manufacturers simply do not recommend in any way to use them; much less how often! As a side note, most companies also don't recommend any sort of fuel filter change. I wonder why this is?? (discuss)
12.gif

Well, since 2005 Ford MotorCompany recomends BP fuel, and even install factory gas caps with the BP logo.
http://media.ford.com/newsroom/feature_display.cfm?release=21143

///
...Ford recommends BP fuel for all of its 2006 Ford-branded vehicles. BP is among the companies who routinely test their base gasoline, making sure that their gasoline has the same detergency performance as originally certified.

Since industry standards don't guarantee it, "Look for brands that promote good detergency," says Misangyi. "The ones who state it, are probably doing it right."

You probably don't need to be spending on any aftermarket cleaning products either. Ford's Owner Guide notes it should not be necessary to add any aftermarket cleaning products to your fuel tank as long as you continue to use the fuel and octane rating recommended by the manufacturer.

"If customers need an additive due to engine deposits, or bring the vehicle in for service due to a performance deficiency, they should probably switch the brand of gasoline they're using," says Misangyi. "A clean engine provides better fuel economy"...

http://media.ford.com/newsroom/feature_display.cfm?release=23040
///

Drew

There's no standard for fuel injection cleaners like there is for oils. That makes it a little more difficult to recommend something. You may end up using something that hurts your engine instead of helping it.

globey,
I guess what Im getting at,(using todays larger in tank fuel filters as a comparison), is that, the filters of yesterdays carburated vehicles were much smaller than todays in tank filters. Example:
Many GM carbs(as Im sure you are aware), used an "in carb filter element" that was about 2.5 inches long and no larger around than the narrow part of a persons pinky finger and nothing more. Most Chrysler & Ford carbs used nothing more than a single metal housing cylinder type filter element that one could hold in the palm of their hand were often used on some small tractor equipment as well. What I'am really comparing is, today filters vs. the fuel filters of about 30-40 years ago and I appolgize for not being more clear. Im certain that your correct in the fact that todays fuel filters are really not "Life Time", although I have never needed to change out an in tank fuel filter within the first 200,000 miles or ownership and by that time I no longer own the vehicle. I've put more miles on several different vehicle over the years(in access of 350,000 miles) but, those vehicles had external filters and sometimes more than one(near the fuel tank & under hood).

I would guess that the jets in older carburators were much larger that the orfice on fuel injectors, so the filter was only to catch really big crud as the carbs were not that sensitive.

FWIW, My Mazda Tribute (Ford Escape) has a external fuel filter about the size of a soda can next to the tank. I think alot of newer Fords have a external filter as well. For "severe service" towing etc, the replacement intercal is 30K miles.

Drew

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Footpounds
Originally Posted By: Gregory

What year model is your Taco?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back