GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
German Castrol is Castrol Syntec 0W-30 that is labelled Made in Germany and European Formula. This is the "good stuff" so many here talk about.

built: save your money GC doesn't protect any better than the top name brand conventional oils. Also GC has been reformulated several times in the last two years.

They were having a special, 5 quarts of Castrol Syntec and a Mobil 1 filter for $27 something including tax. Save like $16. I got the 0W30 Made in Germany stuff

I was hoping that it had more additives and not have to adhere to us standards.

Is the european formula the green stuff? it looked like the same color as any oil to me.

Originally Posted By: jarvk22
built: save your money GC doesn't protect any better than the top name brand conventional oils. Also GC has been reformulated several times in the last two years.

What did they do to it? It is still Grp IV, right?

Originally Posted By: built
I was hoping that it had more additives and not have to adhere to us standards.

Is the european formula the green stuff? it looked like the same color as any oil to me.

No more green, it was phased out a while ago, it was just a dye.

Originally Posted By: jarvk22
built: save your money GC doesn't protect any better than the top name brand conventional oils.

That's a bold statement.
28.gif
What are you basing that observation on?

jeffie, I don't think so. Look a Patman's UOAs for his Vette for how well GC protects. The UOA looked like a VOA even after a dozen 1/4 mile romps at the track. I really doubt any top name conventional oil would have shown numbers THAT good.

GC is one of the worst oils for butt dino in both of my cars. I personally don't like the gas mileage hit, performance hit, startup noise...etc. that I get when I use GC. I use Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 and am happy at the moment.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
GC is one of the worst oils for butt dino in both of my cars. I personally don't like the gas mileage hit, performance hit, startup noise...etc. that I get when I use GC. I use Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 and am happy at the moment.

You really have a noticeable MPG hit between thicker and thinner 30 weights? Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with PP.

Originally Posted By: bigjeffie
common sense?

But nothing empirical? Okay, just wanted to make sure this was a statement made on emotion and not fact, fearing I'd missed some expose' on GC.

i was thinking more of a regular daily driver w/ a 5 to 6k oci.

under situational duress, naturally GC would outlast a conventional.

If i had a corvette, i too would rather error on the side of caution. My 00 tundra v-8 is quite happy w/ supertech 5w-30 dino,
but these motors are reputedly easy on oil.

Originally Posted By: BrianWC
Originally Posted By: Cooper

You really have a noticeable MPG hit between thicker and thinner 30 weights? Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with PP.

Yes, I got about 2 mpg less with GC in a Toyota RAV4, and about 3 mpg decrease in my 2.5 Nissan Altima. Both were under same conditions, and both using summer fuel from the same station. I analyzed ever tank. GC just didn't work for me....may be great for others. I really wanted it to be good, just wasn't in my case.

I have been using GC in my Continental for the past couple years or so. Gas milage has not gone down. Still gets great. On long trips, still gets 26 to 29, averaging 27. Got the same milage on trips back when I would use regular Group II oils, but I keep this GC Group IV oil in for 10,000 OCI.

When someone says they are getting worse milage with brand x verses brand y, it is probably because the type of driving, and the season was different between the two.

Presently using PP 5W-20 (the older Group IV, not the newer Group III) in my MKZ. When my stash runs out, I will switch over to the GC 0W-30, as long as it stays Group IV, Made in Germany.

I noticed incr MPG in a Nissan 3.5L V6, but incr timing chaing chatter at start up for about 2 minutes when very cold. No noticed change in performance. My Mazda 2.3L 4cyl turbo did have a temp drop in upper RPM performance for about 1K miles. This is gone now and I speculating this would be due to chemical shear from fuel dilution, direct injection. My 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back