My New 2008 Ford GT Mustang ' BULLITT' Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys (Newbie here)

Just bought an outrageous 2008 Ford Mustang GT BULLITT. Limited
addition. 7,700 only made. Seven Hundred are going to Canada.
The other 7,000 stay in the U.S.A.

TWO (2) QUESTIONSPLEASE.

1. The manual for my car says my first oil change is at: 7,500 miles.Isn't that a bit MUCH to go that long without an oil change?

2. What do you guys think about RED LINE OIL ?

THANKS GUYS
BLESS U GUYS

Schooner
cool.gif

Congratulations on the new car, try to keep it between the ditches.

Personally, on new motor I dump the oil and filter around 500 miles.

A 7500 mile OCI schedule is not in the best interest of engine longevity in my opinion, especially for a hi-perf motor that may see some hard use.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
Personally, on new motor I dump the oil and filter around 500 miles.

That's some good advise right there.
thumbsup2.gif

Oil is like bandages; they're both fairly inexpensive, but need to be kept clean.

7500 miles is fine for the factory fill. There's no concrete evidence that changing oil sooner for the first service will lead to longer engine life.

7500 is a very "average length" oil change interval, and has been for more than a decade. It's just that many service stations have misinformed consumers and convinced them that more often is truly necessary.

I would stick with a conventional 5w-20 oil. There's really no need for a synthetic oil unless this is your track vehicle. I assume that the engine in this model is the same as any other Mustang GT?

Originally Posted By: ]The Critic
There's no concrete evidence that changing oil sooner for the first service will lead to longer engine life.

I guess a magnetic drain plug after the first 500 miles might have a story to tell.
grin2.gif

The Bullit engine is basically a GT motor with a bit higher redline, cold air intake, and tweaked exhaust good for 315hp. This car is a real looker. At least I think so. I'd much rather have a Bullit than a GT based on looks alone. If I owned a Bullit I would change the oil at 1000 miles with my favorite dino 5w20 and every 3000 miles after that with again with my favorite dino. Maybe Valvoline Durablend or Synpower if my bank account was overflowing.

If you are gonna take it to the dealer I would make them used Motorcraft 5w20 and change every 3000.

I agree with the 500 miles oil/filter swap.

I also agree that the 7500 mile oci's will work, but there is no way I (ME) could go 7500 miles on the FF.

Just me. Everyone is different. All you are getting is opinions. Opinions will vary!

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r

Opinions will vary!

Yes they do; and my opinion is to change the oil out at 3000/4 months.
grin2.gif

7500 miles? Borderline doable on conventional oil.

No need to change the oil at 500. My car? I would go a couple thousand miles and not lose sleep. And that's what it comes down to on the first oil change really. Just what are you comfortable with, less the "recommended"? Changing the oil too soon wastes natural resources and time.

Changing the oil at 7500 - is that severe or regular service OCI?

Redline oil is fine oil.

Look on the drivers side door jam for the Built date...my truck was at 5 mos old when I bought it..changed the oil at 1000 miles with MC 5-20..then again at 4k miles with 5qts of MC5-20 and 2 qts of PP 5-20...with 5k mile changes thereafter..I sleep good at nite..well, except for the prostate problem..lol....Redline, RP, M1, Amsoil, are all great oils for long drain (10k)...the 5 speed trans is the weak spot on the Mustang..change the oil @ 10k miles..talk to Pablo about which oil to use..also, when it's rainning, don't go over 60 mph..I had a 02 Stang..bet your wondering how I know...you'll get the thrill of your life..lol

I think a smart move would be to change the oil at ~ 1/2 the suggested normal 7,500. Go to 3,000 or 3,500 miles. Usually lots of assembly additives and lubs to assist breakin and to remove them early is very probably not good. I think Redline is a great oil but, consider Amsoil, PP, or M1. Ed

You only get one first oil change.
Sure, it MAY be OK to let it go 7,500 miles.
I would not do it. I would not let my oil go that long even if it was a broken in engine.
1,000 - 2,000 is safe and sane for the first OC on factory juice.

I change all new engines at 1000. After all what is the cost to get all the debris out of there maybe $20?? I would also go with a decent synthetic like PP, Mobil1 or Amsoil and change at 5000 miles.

Nice car. The regular GT interests me as a possible next car. Between PP 5w20, M1 0w20, Amsoil 0w20 and Redline 5w20, I don't know which I would use. All are very good IMO.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
There's no concrete evidence that changing oil sooner for the first service will lead to longer engine life.

I guess a magnetic drain plug after the first 500 miles might have a story to tell.
grin2.gif

We are talking concrete here not magnetic
banana2.gif
I would rather flush out the break and mfg.crud look at the uoas on new engines .Also the differential and trans. Is syn recommended? If not there is no reason to use it unless you are extending your oil changes.

Wow, those ARE snazzy looking machines!!
thumbsup2.gif

I've always changed the oil/filter sometime during every new vehicle's first 1K miles, but that's just me. Just makes me feel warm/fuzzy, y'know. After that, at least during the warranty period, I'd follow the recommended OCI's, with MotorCraft 5-20 (if that's what is recommended, which it probably is) and MC FL820S filters (again, if that's what's recommended).

MC 5-20 is really good oil, based on UOA's and all available data, and the MC 820S has a silicone ADBV. According to the filter gurus, that's a good thing.

5.4L DOHC SUPERCHARGED V–8 ENGINE OIL RECOMMENDATION
Use Motorcraft SAE 5W-50 full synthetic or an equivalent SAE 5W-50 full synthetic oil meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C931-B.

the 4.6 uses 5w-20
while another specs 5w-30.

Last edited:

grin2.gif

So what? I don't see engines failing at 100k due to wear from the factory fill.

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r

Opinions will vary!

Yes they do; and my opinion is to change the oil out at 3000/4 months.
grin2.gif

And not change the transmission fluid.
wink.gif

If I owned it and wanted to keep it a long time I'd:

Change Oil & Filter at 2000-3000 MAX with Ford's products just in case.

Then change it at 7,500.

After that I'd go to Amsoil or Pennzoil Platinum with a Wix, NAPA Gold, PureOne or Amsoil Oil Filters.

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back