Investors....come in please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like my data feed was in error. Need a bounce to reshort. ##@%&#W#%%&#^#@%&#%&^ #%&#%&#^#@@%&#^&*#^*#

After consulting with my trading partners it was decided I could talk, in general terms, about the future market. You must be aware I can’t get into specifics, as it’s seen as a conflict by most.

First off, the only reason I chimed in early last Jan. was due to all the confusion going on. When I saw the thread where it was asked, “Can the stock market get any lower?” I could no longer remain silent. It was at that point I started giving hints of how nasty things could still get and to use rallies to escape & get back in when we made a good bottom.

Of course right away I get a remark about what’s a good bottom, which almost made me say the heck with this thread.

Also, some feel the market can’t be timed or projected. Some say no one knows what will happen so just ride it out. I know of some that ignored my bear call of late Feb. 2000 that are still wondering what’s going on.

Some say buying stocks while they fall is a losing situation. It is if you don’t know what you’re doing.

Some will say I have 20 years so I’m not worried about it. Many forget or aren’t aware of what happened from the late 60s thru the early 80s where you either traded or ended up with little more than what you started with. I will say here, right now & without a doubt a period similar to the 70s is coming again, which some of my long time followers are aware of the timing.

I must back up a bit and go back to my conversation with Mr. Sparks last fall when I told him I was becoming concerned about the market. My long-term system went on a sell about 1 week before that top. That system is currently sitting on the fence but will be updated in about a week.

Many also don’t believe it can be suggested when a turning point will come. Yet again I’ve done this 3 times in the past month or so to within a day including the Jan. actions.

Some don’t believe price levels & time together can be projected. I did this Feb. 21 on this thread.

Before I get into any type of projections I ask you read the following. This is something I’ve sent to all clients before I allowed them to sign up. Even though many of my members have seen me get in and out of the market since the mid 70s with a great deal of accuracy or were referred to me, I don’t accept a client unless they believe buy & hold can be beaten.

Turning points are nothing more than predictable cycles to us that understand them. I can in a sense suggest to you the following. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

We accept that at any given point within any given year the sun will appear on the horizon and disappear knowing when that time will be. Same issue happens with the moon, ocean tides, general seasonal effects, the planets & their moons, galaxy rotations etc. How do we know this?

If it happens twice without interruption, a pattern is emerging. Odds are if it happens a few dozen times with fair consistency it’ll continue to happen with some type of a predicable pattern. The more often something happens the more likely it’ll occur again.

Look at the hospitals and jails along with the moon cycles. 911 calls increase greatly to within 1 day of the full moon. Coincidence? Then how come it happens month after month after month?

Remember, the market is millions of people making very specific decisions under many different circumstances & reasons every second, minute, hour, day, week, month etc. Sometimes issues are self-perpetuating. If you believe it’ll happen, human nature will make it happen.

If emotions make us do certain things, how can one overcome this? How can I believe the stars aren’t influencing my adviser?

For heavens sake it’s not all about the stars. Even though certain events outside of our control influence us, certain patterns will be changed at some point in time.

While certain events have a reason and an effect on our judgment, we have market cycle studies that go back over 500 years. Wait, we haven’t had a market for 500 years. No but parts of Europe did and we can go back into Roman times if needed. But, the point I’m making, for those with an open mind, is everything works in cycles just like the tides, waves at a beach, the human body etc.

Every action has a reaction. But, certain cyclical periods will have a bigger after effect than others. In other words certain actions will in effect have more energy released, which you will see me refer to as coiling.

Ever watch the movie Pappion when Steve McQueen escapes from the cliff island? If not rent the movie. Note where he tells Dustin Hoffman how the wave actions around the island change in a very predicable fashion. On occasion a larger wave is developed that pulls out to sea instead of crashing on the rocks, that’s also predictable.

Now, I don’t know if the method of Pappion’s island escape is true or not. But the scene of the movie I’m referring to does reflect nature and how the market tends to react as well.

Projecting market cycles is, in a sense, like back ward engineering an apparatus that you have no clue as to how it works. You’d tear the unit down, inspect, test components & construct a plan or step-by-step instructions on how to construct another. Projecting turning points in time & their degree of relevance in the market is much the same.

With all the above being accepted as fact &/or probable we can move on.

If you disagree with the general concept so be it. I wish you the best of luck.

Ok, the above is what everyone gets before I offer help.

Market volatility always brings opportunity. Opportunity can come in many forms and can take several months. Sometimes you raise cash on rallies. Opportunity comes in buying dips. But most of the time for a long-term trader/investor, opportunity is best used to consolidate allocations.

Many think they need to be diversified. For gosh sakes, I know people that hold 5-6 if not more general funds. In reality, when looking at most general market funds, they all hold a similar portion of the same stocks. There are exceptions but generally speaking they all fluctuate to a similar degree that the general market does.

If you want be diversified hold one large cap fund, one mid cap fund and one small cap fund. Typically with everyone I work with we only hold one fund. It’s usually a fund that tends to track the ^SPX or an ^SPX index fund.

Here’s another form of diversification that should require no explanation. Most of my clients that aren’t tied into a 401K group have their funds split 3 ways between Rydex, Profunds and a general brokerage house of their choice. Those in general brokerage houses will typically buy an ETF for long/short plays.

Smaller accounts can look at Potomac funds and a brokerage house.

Those looking for a brokerage house should only consider the ones whose money markets are in government securities.

Some will complain about the higher costs of Potomac, Rydex and Profunds. GEZ get real! One good short trade or any trade a year will offset those expenses versus groups that tie you down to limited trades and on the long side only. Even for those that only want to trade 2-3 times a year. Get a good short play now and then!!! Think about it!!

Regarding most general fund groups.

While this doesn’t apply to all, another reason to consolidate funds into 2 maybe 3 at the most is to give you a greater ability to get out. A good case in point is last fall. I had a new client come into our fold that was holding 6 or 7 funds all within one family. The rules within that family only allowed 2 exchanges a month. Plus, even if one followed the 2 exchange rule, if a pattern was seen of frequent trading, it could be possible they might not let her buy back in. I told her to call the fund group and ask if the trading pattern could be escalated, as she wanted to consolidate things. They’d allow her to consolidate but not sell everything and then re-enter at a later date unless she waited a year. Since the individual was holding multiple funds she watched a good part of her gains slip away for several months.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Give me till about mid next week to get my intermediate term model updated. I’ll speculate if we approach the Jan. lows within the next 5-8 trading days it’s another buy point.

Last edited:
Interesting. I do hear you on the mutual fund so called diversification. Just look at the charts to see how the all mirror each other will save the time of even looking at the top 10 companies held. The only thing I will add is that it pays to shop the sectors.

Interesting comment about the 1970's. I had some feeling we are heading in that direction.

OK Remaining on stand-buy. But nibbling on some deals.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
The only thing I will add is that it pays to shop the sectors.

True but this is a specialized area that many groups don't work with. Thus I'm not talking about it on this site.

cmhj,
Good points and thanks for the extended explanation.
As for my shorts, [censored], I sold half of mine and hope for a bounce on Monday to get back in. Still made some money on them but I need a hedge for my 401K if things really fall off the cliff in the next month or two.

I'll check out those funds you suggested.

slightly off topic: I was checking out the real DJ industrial index last night and in real returns, that sucker has only delivered 1.64% since 1920 and the generational bear market from 65-82 was almost as bad as the great depression! Wow. From that perspective, 20 years doesn't look like a long time if you were born at the wrong time.

Last edited:
I'm giving this to you in dribs and drabs. Part of the reason is certain segments have to be cut out that are for my trading partners only. I think if any of you were paying for advice you'd want the next guy to anty up too.

Part of the reason is I also need to see the actions thru the Thur. close and factor these next 4 days into my intermediate model. Thus I'm basically preparing you to have your ducks in a row.

Finally, I will check-in with a fast note, much as I've done in the past, that I'm buying or some comment telling the bears to pack it up or whatever.

At this next insertion point, if it happens by mid March I'll be tossing the Wifes 401K back in along with all my managed accounts too. This has the look of a dandy if it all comes together as I suspect.

A few days ago I made the comment to get very involved with the market around the end of next week, which would be March 7 in opposition to whatever is happening.

We have 4 points in time to be aware of that might give us a low of some if not great magnitude.

1 * March 8 +/- 4 trading days.

2 * March 13 +/- 2 trading days.

3 * March 25 +/- 2 trading days.

4 * March 31 +/- 7 calendar days.

#1 hits on a weekend and this count is currently preferred. If this hit comes into play it should be almost dead on or into the next week.

The weekend hit is because some of the previous matching cycles are based on calendar days while the rest are trading days. When the 2 come together it’s usually very strong and very obvious. If you notice, options 1 & 2 could in theory hit together as could 3 & 4. Option #2 is ranked as the second to be favored, which adds more weight to the analysis that a good low will be in by mid March but this has not always been the outcome.

The reason we have +/- XX days is due to the previous variance of the particular cycles I'm tracking. While not a true comparison, call it Julius Caesar's leap year adjustment.

These hits have in the past all been major inflection points. Regardless, we also need to be aware of other factors instead of blindly jumping in if we have a strong dip into any of the suggested points in time.

Are cycle projections always right? No, but we have held an average of near 90% for over 18 years. 90% I'll take to Vegas any day.

Could we dip into March 3-13 but continue down X% over the next few days/weeks? Yes, it’s possible.

This is where my interactive model comes into play. When operating it during real time trading it usually gives us a low or high call to within a day, 2 at the most. Many times it hits pay dirt to within a couple hours as some of you saw in mid-late Jan. and again a couple weeks ago.

The points in time are more of an alert to be aware that something significant may occur per previous market activity while being compared to known upcoming events along with our interactive system.

We also have a way of determining, thanks to good old fashion math the probabilities both in time and the expected actions there of. Again, much of this is based off previous cyclical activities of the past several decades.

Much like in the movie Pappion when Steve McQueen was watching the wave actions for his escape the very near term actions could affect what the next several months do. This however I must hold until Thurs. night.

Well..I just have continued to put money in fxe, fxc, and fxa (currencies). I got rid of gld and oil (I know bad move...but you never go broke taking a profit). 40% run up on oil and gold is just too much (for my blood).

Nevertheless..I guess I will income average with some dbc

I have a $10K EURO CD in EverBank, but I don't think I will do more right now. It is FDIC insured but there is a 1% conversion of currencies in and out. I am up in it though.

I think that my next door neighbor is geting readyto invest in gold so it might be time to get out.

I think that currencies are OK though. You can always expect our politicians to borrow and spend which is a winning combination for currencies. I want to have at least 25% in currencies in another 6 months. Eventually maybe 35% to 40%.

Hate to be so bearish on the U.S. but yet another good reason to go global with mutual funds. Most are in foreign currencies.

Last edited:
Quote:
I think that my next door neighbor is getting ready to invest in gold so it might be time to get out.

crackmeup2.gif
LOL.gif
crazy2.gif

I'm with you Al on currencies. I just cashed out of the last my Contrafund and bought FXY. I'm anticipating that lot of people are going to have repay Japan for the carry and trade party and yen will be in high demand. Uncle Ben just announced another round of money pumping with more money auctions in March. My TIPS just went up nearly 3% in two days! TWO DAYS! Triple AAA rated CDOs are now trading at 60 cents on the dollar. These were suppose to be default-free. The sh$t is hitting the fan big time. I'm praying for a bump on Monday so I can reload on short positions.

cmhj,

Thank you very, very much.

After being laid off (dislocated worker - job went overseas), I moved my 401k the 1st week of Feb - market went down 4.5% that week and I was in cash - Yeah!

I have been buying mutual funds on low point occasions, but still have 60% of it in cash and most my severance in cash. So in other words, I'm "looking" for buying points big time.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: Shannow
1 trading day and I'm up $666.00....I don't think this is a good thing.

666 in one day? 1 share? Yeah.......OK but now you must tell us what this share is, man!!

That worked really well...not.

Was up more the second day (8% on share value), now down 9.5%.

Thought "Oh well, cut my losses...offload them, off set the loss against my Bank interest (taxed @40%), and buy them back when I've learned more or they go down, or even start to go up."

However...Interest is deemed "income", share gains are "capital gains", losses are "capital losses". Losses on shares can't offset "income", only "capital gains"...i.e. I can't offset this year's interest.

A capital loss can be carried forward to offset a capital gain.

However, if the same stocks are bought within a "reasonable" time period, it's determined that the trade was used as a tax offset, and therefore denied as a loss...buy today, and sell tomorrow is a gain if it works out, but not necessarily a loss.

Here’s a portion of went out to the trading members & partners last night. >>>>>>>

Even though picking points for S/T traders has been very good the opinion is still held the period of Mar 7- 12 might give us a low that’s close enough when taking in the big picture for casual traders to get back into the general market but not at your full allocation status.

Unless we get a full buy alert, which will be sent when we read it, scaling in at selected points appears to be OK when looking at the big picture.

Those that have excessive trading restrictions it’s likely you’ll only get 2 shots at this. If the market does in the big picture what is expected, the proof point will be obvious & we’ll flash it to you.

It’s felt the bouncing yo-yo we’ve been in for about 5 weeks, which was suggested would happen shortly after the Jan. low could continue into early April. If this is the case and we have a lot of data to support this scenario the market will in a sense prove itself to us both thru the cycle projections and technically.

While the option that we’ll stay in somewhat of a trading range thru mid year still exists, data collected later this week & into early April might take that option off the table or make it very remote.

Were we to get a final bottoming signal in the next week or so, the opinion is held that the late March cycle point along with a pattern likely to work going into April will provide us with that test of a possible bottoming signal, were it to occur in the next week or so.

The whole key might rotate around a possible S/T pattern like the following.

Were we to base out early in the week, get a pop into mid week and come back down into Fri. maybe even early next week, this is likely going to be where casual traders will want to ease back in or insert a portion of their assets without the final alert signal.

Note, I said a portion of your assets or not fully invested.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Ok I think most get the general idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back