Bad Gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having trouble understanding old 'stale' gasoline. A bike I had had a hesitation or sputter in the upper rpm and a disassembly and a soak/cleaning they got which a friend recommended using gasoline which I used along with some carb cleaner, but that swelled the carburetor rings.

Anyway, let's say that gas does sit 6 months inside the FUEL INJECTORS and everywhere else. The damage has been done. Is this is a main reason that fuel treatments are purchased?

Also, what if the fuel sat, say 12 years? What could be done, aside draining (which leaves plenty in the lines), to get the fuel system in pristine, free-flowing condition?

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Anyway, let's say that gas does sit 6 months inside the FUEL INJECTORS and everywhere else. The damage has been done. Is this is a main reason that fuel treatments are purchased?

Also, what if the fuel sat, say 12 years? What could be done, aside draining (which leaves plenty in the lines), to get the fuel system in pristine, free-flowing condition?

All gasoline breaks down with time.

The current blends do so faster than gasoline did when lead was still in gasoline and ethanol was something in your drink.

Volatiles evaporate, components oxidize, ingredients separate, varnishes form.

If the situation is not too bad, and the engine still runs, adding something like Chevron Techron can remove the gunk over time and put things right.

Situations involving long-term deterioration require complete disassembly, flushing of lines, replacement of rubber and elastometric parts, and typically repair or replacement of anything that rusts as moisture left unchecked will rust out the fuel tank or anything else made of steel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back