Cleaning ... then lube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are your opinions on using a top engine lube after using a system cleaner? After using V-Power system cleaner (or any of the others), and then using a full tank with nothing added, I am thinking of using MMO on the third tank to lube the fuel pump and injectors. From a couple of sources, I heard that Toyota fuel pumps wear faster than others and think that MMO would help after running a cleaner.

I only run system cleaners when I am taking a long trip that will empty the tank within a day or two. I have been doing this for years because I don't like to have the cleaning chems sitting in the tank working away at the seals and moving parts. Now I am thinking of adding the MMO step.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ProfPS

I only run system cleaners when I am taking a long trip that will empty the tank within a day or two. I have been doing this for years because I don't like to have the cleaning chems sitting in the tank working away at the seals and moving parts. Now I am thinking of adding the MMO step.

What seals and moving parts?

I've had good luck with MMO over the years and it certainly won't hurt adding it after the cleaner as you've mentioned. Using it on a regular basis @ 4oz./10 gals of gas is all you need. Most likely you won't need a cleaner anymore the MMO will keep things clean & lubed for you.

Frank D

ProfPS,

For a top engine lube I use a little of Lucas "Upper Cylinder Lube" and have so far received pretty good results. In my 89' Camry I've noticed a much smoother acceleration when entering on the freeways and a slightly better gas mileage overall.

Regarding Toyota fuel pumps. My 89'is still going strong!!! and no signs of anything going bad from it so what you heard may be just wives tales.

Later,

Durango

Durango,

I have a number of Toyotas with bad fuel pumps that are in my stock of cars that students work on for their certs. None of the GMs have the same problem and they sit just as long as the Toyotas. My instructors were the ones who brought this to my attention. I know it is comparing sitting cars vs. ones that are in use but it is something to be aware of.

Prof.

Last edited:
ProfPS,

Thanks for the heads-up on the Toyota issue. In light of your delima I have no real constructive answer to the fuel pump problem. Why mine has been good too me I can't say.

How many miles on the Toyotas you have with the bad pumps?

Currently I have about 223K and working on getting ready for the big job of replacing the timing belt, water pump, cam shaft seal and all drive belts. Whooo Whee it's gonna cost when the time comes but it's worth it cuz this car saves me so much gas out here in Los Angeles California. Until something comes up better my Toyo is a [censored] send.

Durango

My rationale for running a tank of gasoline between the system cleaner and MMO is to make sure that the cleaner is either diluted to an insignificant amount or removed from the tank so it will not counter the MMO.

Originally Posted By: ProfPS
My rationale for running a tank of gasoline between the system cleaner and MMO is to make sure that the cleaner is either diluted to an insignificant amount or removed from the tank so it will not counter the MMO.

I do the same every now and then after running tank after tank of either FP60, Lucas UCL, MMO, etc.

ProfPS,

Your really into this issue! In reality wether your method helps or not just remember that everything is realitve. If your combine both chemicals in the tank together it should be just as effective. My opinion only. Besides running a fresh tank of gas in between doesn't guarantee everybit of that tank of gas is out before you run another. The fuel pump can't get it all from the bottom.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back