Proper Tire Rotation - 4wd

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like alternating between both methods.
Crisscross, then front to back on the same side, then crisscross, etc.,...

Quote:
My tires are non directional.

Mine aren't
frown.gif
so, when I change the winters/summers, they just get moved front/rear.

If you alternate between both X pattern and front-to-back, each tire will "visit" all four positions.

Originally Posted By: byez
Any particular reason or just preference? I'm really leaning on the X Pattern route as all tires will change directions. Unless of course, thats a bad thing?

Uneven wear is usually on frt tires. When crossed going to rear, change of direction seems to help get back correct wear aspect. Tnen, next roatation they go back to front, but in different direction from last time there. Uneven wear must start in totally different direction.

Bob

Originally Posted By: alreadygone
Prefer the "X front, rear straight forward" for nearly all nondirectional rotation. Especially 4X4 vehicles.

Bob

+1 how I do each vehicle with out directional tires

at the service center that I worked at it was Crossing the front tires to the rear, and rear tires put straight to the front, this was for rear-wheel drive and 4x4 vehicles.

for Front wheel drive vehicles we did the exact opposite

Generally (not directional tires) switch the driving wheels to the other axle on the same side and cross the non-driven wheels to the other axle.

For 4X4 or AWD cars just pretend it is a 2WD version of that car to figure out if you cross the fronts on the way to the back or the back son the way to the front.

So FWD and FWD based 4X4/AWDs
Front tires same side to the back axle.
Rear tires crossed left to right on the way to front.

RWD and RWD based 4X4/AWDs
Front tires crossed left to right on way to rear axle
Rear tires stay on same side on the way to the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back