1st oil change, OLM or miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the past I always changed out the factory fill oil of my vehicles at 500, 2500 and 5000 where I would begin OCI of 5000 miles. My new Honda recommends leaving the factory fill until the OLM tells me to change it. Dealer said 5000 and bring it in. What do all of you think about this? I worked at a Honda motorcycle dealership and the first oil change at that time was 600 miles and that is why I changed out the factory fill at 500 miles in my cars. Are the new factory fill oil different and need to stay in for a reason?

Supposedly the oil is a little different and designed to help the engine break in. I'd leave it in like they said for warranty reasons. Motorcyles are a lot harder on break in than cars so that a big reason for the difference.

I have a new Avalon and the dealer said to do the first oil change at 5,000 miles. That is what the owners manual says to do.

I am going to change at 1,000-2,000 miles with dino oil and filter. Then at 5,000 go with synthetic oil.

40ford

I use the KISS principal and follow the owners manual to the "t".
How can you go wrong, especially when you are protecting a warranty?

Exactly what I'm thinking. Why take what the dealer and manual say and do the exact opposite?

I changed out the ff in my corolla at 300 miles, changed again at 500 miles, then at 1600 miles all with pennzoil dino 5W30, then started my 5K oci's.

Why, because I wanted to!

Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
Why would you switch to synthetic when the engine isnt broken in yet?

The debate still rages on I see.

I'm honestly not debating, just wondering why you'd waste an oil change and be in such a hurry to get fresh oil in there when a used oil analysis would tell you it had plenty of life left.

You trust a car manufacturer to take your $20,000+ but you don't trust them to write a proper owner's manual? Something seems wrong about that. I wouldn't give anyone that much money if I didn't trust their engineering.

I changed out my factory fill in my Honda at 4k. The OLM said I still had 70% oil life left. My commute is mostly highway and it appears my OLM is suggesting about 10k OCIs. Would some say that's a waste?....sure; but I'd rather error on the side of caution.

Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
I'm honestly not debating, just wondering why you'd waste an oil change and be in such a hurry to get fresh oil in there when a used oil analysis would tell you it had plenty of life left.

I can understand that. What I meant with debate, some say change it out, others say leave it in. It is all personal preferance, whatever makes YOU happy.

Originally Posted By: bigalw
Dealer said 5000 and bring it in. What do all of you think about this?

I think that's HOGWASH. Change the oil out every 4 months; whether it has 1 mile or 5000 miles.

Meh, I disagree with that. In my old car I'd always just wait til 3k to change it, regardless of time. Sometimes it took 10 months for me to get that much mileage, and the car ran fine and didn't burn any oil at 128k when I sold it. That was just with conventional Valvoline, too. No sludge or varnish either.

Last edited:
I didn't even write the mileage down last time because I knew I'd still probably be under 2000 miles at the end of 4 months anyway. Is that a waste of oil? Probably so, but to me oil is expendable and I want to keep the engine clean with minimal wear.

On a new car that has an OLM I would still do the first oil change sooner, I'd do it at 50% oil life. As usual I'd get a UOA done and depending on how things looked, I'd decide on whether or not to do the next oil change at 0% oil life, or perhaps I'd go to 25% on the second one.

5000, IMO is a good oil change point. Long enough so that the chemistry in the factory fill, if special, can do what it was meant to do (its not magic), but not so long that the oil can get too old, sheared, diluted, etc.

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back