Six month review: 2003 Buick Park Avenue

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's been 6 months today since I purchased this big monster.

A charcoal grey/cream leather 2003 Buick Park Avenue, it was in fantastic shape, 44K miles at purchase, 50K on it now. It has the non-supercharged 3.8L engine, with rear automatic level control, concert-level stereo, and almost all the bells and whistles GM provided for their top-of-the-line sedan.

I purchased it (after a good deal of research, on BITOG and elsewhere) in August of '07 because (a) it was a great deal, and (b) my '97 Mercedes C230 was about to lose its 5-speed autobox. There were a couple of other issues with the Benz as well. I'd looked at and driven the current model Buicks, and might have bought a used '06 LaCrosse had it not been for that dealer's unpleasant and difficult attitude.

In the 6 months, I've spent money on the following:
Air filter
3 oil changes (Auto-Rx treatment)
Dex-Cool coolant
Front brake rotors, pads, new brake fluid
Rear self-leveling shocks (originals leaking, car bouncing)
PCV valve
Power steering fluid (extracted old, filled with new)
1 new tire (old one developed an "egg")
Transmission fluid and filter
Gasoline (more of that in a moment)

All of these things, except the tire and maybe the shocks, are normal maintenance/wear-and-tear items that would need to be done around 50K miles. I chose to change the coolant because I don't think any fluid can last 100K miles. About all I have left to do is window tinting, a safety brake tag, and the April oil change, and I hope to coast for quite a while.

Gas? Runs on regular, and gets within 10% of the mileage the 4-cylinder Benz got -- and the Benz required premium. I'm breaking even on that. Normal (75% city) mileage is 21-22, and I saw 31.9 on the open highway in November.

Drawbacks? A much larger turning radius than the small Benz, of course. A column automatic shifter, which I hadn't dealt with since 1995, but I'm used to it now. Pretty small potatoes.

The Park Avenue is truly a great car. Yes, I know it has a reputation as a rolling sofa and an old folks' car; I know that if it were alive, like a pet, and wanted the company of its own kind, I'd do best to bring it to a Piccadilly Cafeteria during the Early Bird Special, or to the local church for Bingo Night.

But you know what? I don't care. The cracked broken streets of The Swamp require a car with a softer suspension to soak up the bumps. And its resale value, insanely, drops like a stunned condor, so I paid about 1/3rd of the original MSRP. The dark grey paint, plus blackwall tires on chrome wheels, give it a stealthy, powerful appearance, too.

I'm driving Cadillac/Mercedes quality for Chevrolet money!

GM and Ford make pretty good cars now, but some people dont seem to realize it

My next car is going to be a Buick. I had a '94 Regal I beat like an ugly girlfriend I used as my company car where I was paid flat rate wages.

I used to have to drive 105 miles to a service call, and I'd average 74 miles per hour INCLUDING disassembling and rebuilding a computer to replace the motherboard as well as stopping to pick up a box of donuts. I used to set the cruise at 98 mph and still get 22 mpg with it.

Originally Posted By: chet2

That just makes it better for us as we can pick up cars that are far more reliable than their predecessors, and get alot more reliability out of them than we could before.

As for those who insist on imports, I feel kinda sorry for them. I used to be one of them...but not anymore!

Stanley, I did my time in imports. My first, a Volvo 164, burned up while I was driving it -- a broken fuel line, a known problem with those mid-70s Volvos, I found out later. Then 10 years of Mercedes: a Euro gas engine 123 coupe, a big grey 420SEL (hence my username), and the '97 C230. All were fun to drive, but sometimes pricey to keep up, and all required premium gas. (At least I could change my oil easily on 'em!)

For the first time in a while, I'm not thinking about what my next car will be. I'm just enjoying this one.

Originally Posted By: Stanley Rockafeller
Originally Posted By: chet2

That just makes it better for us as we can pick up cars that are far more reliable than their predecessors, and get alot more reliability out of them than we could before.

As for those who insist on imports, I feel kinda sorry for them. I used to be one of them...but not anymore!

Don't feel too sorry, nothing's gone wrong on my car since I purchased it! My mom's '03 Malibu money pit on the other hand... we won't go there
48.gif

LeSabre/PA are definitely underappreciated cars. I had a 92 Lesabre (shocks wore out @ 30K) but had zero problems with the drivetrain until I burnt a valve @ 180K miles. (pre-BITOG) Push the pedal and the car will move....

I let the car sit for 3 years and after I charged the battery, I turned the key and it fired right up.

Those park avenues are one of the best cars that GM ever built.

I'd say its right up there with fords crown vic.

The 3800 is a very stout motor, change all the fluids in that car and it will run for longer than you care to keep it.

The car has a trunk big enough to throw a few bodies in there, and seat 5 people.

Great cars for long trips.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral

Stanley, I did my time in imports. My first, a Volvo 164, burned up while I was driving it -- a broken fuel line, a known problem with those mid-70s Volvos, I found out later. Then 10 years of Mercedes: a Euro gas engine 123 coupe, a big grey 420SEL (hence my username), and the '97 C230. All were fun to drive, but sometimes pricey to keep up, and all required premium gas. (At least I could change my oil easily on 'em!)

For the first time in a while, I'm not thinking about what my next car will be. I'm just enjoying this one.

Hehhe, sounds like my experience with imports!
i've owned some of the most reliable, stout and simple vehicles to ever have been built in Europe starting with my 81 245DL I received when I graduated high school. That car was a tank! too bad the rust consumed it very quickly, and the SU carb was so hard to tune with nobody to give a poor student a break! I kinda miss that car, even with all it's quirks..my "fave" was when the fuel line slipped off the carb, and the mechanical fuel pump continued to pump fuel all over the deteriorating wire harness insulators (common on those late 70's up to about 86 or 87 Volvo's.) not fun, but suprisingly the car always ran...and never blew up!

Don't get me wrong, I love Euro cars, that's why I still have my 88 325is. I keep it monty and only drive it one week per year when I visit family in my home city. After owning an 86 325es, I vowed to never own another old Euro car as a daily driver, as it's too much of a headache. Sure their lots of fun, to drive and tinker on, but one week per year is all the stress and agrivation I can handle! but would i sell it?

HECK NO!

... there's just something beautiful about performing a valve adjustment and getting it "just-right" your first time, and having that engine sing all the way up to red-line. And for that, I cannot put a price tag on :)

BUICK is one of the most under-rated cars in the world. I have grown up with them in the family and own a couple, now.

I am glad that you are happy with your 2003 Park Ave.

You had a problem with leaking of the rear air shocks, I read in one of the forums here. What did you do to fix the problem? Did you keep it stock or change the automatic level control system, and what were the costs? Are you happy with the results? I was for you keeping it stock.

With the price of fuel approaching $4./gal., at least you'll be safe and comfortable, when you will be driving.

Quote:
And its resale value, insanely, drops like a stunned condor, so I paid about 1/3rd of the original MSRP.

Every time I hear someone say that a car isn't a good car to buy because of it's high depreciation, I think, buy a used one then you idiot.

You, sir, are obviously not one of them.
11.gif

Originally Posted By: pastmaster

You had a problem with leaking of the rear air shocks, I read in one of the forums here. What did you do to fix the problem? Did you keep it stock or change the automatic level control system, and what were the costs? Are you happy with the results? I was for you keeping it stock.

With the price of fuel approaching $4./gal., at least you'll be safe and comfortable, when you will be driving.

Hey, pastmaster,

Yes, I went with stock -- that is, the updated shock kit from the dealer, which was $211 for everything (both shocks, fittings, hoses, la whole enchilada). Compare that to $340 for the two shocks alone. The car rides a bit more firmly (closer to the ride of my late 420SEL), which is not always a good thing here in The Swamp. But it no longer wallows or bounds over uneven pavement.

True, comfortable is very important to me. And as I said above, I'm spending about the same on gas per month as I did in the 4-cylinder Benz. I've always been one to consolidate trips, so I'll just have to do it a bit more. . . .

The LeSabre is a good car. I've been fairly impressed with the 1999 version. Yes it rides like a couch on wheels. But it has some real get-up when you need it to. And the 3800 never seems strained, even when you're flogging it on a long hill or around another vehicle.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I used to call my '87 LeSabre the LeSofa, FWIW

That's pretty funny. I used to drive a 1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme back in college that my friends called the couch on wheels.

My dad had a 1987 Olds Delta 88 loaded with the FE3 suspension a real nice car but was in the shop as a G.M. is expected to be.

We have a 2000 Buick Park Avenue in the family. Around 55k miles on it right now. The transmission whines around 1800RPM, and quits whining around 1500RPM or 2000RPM. The owner went from an 85 Buick to a 95 Buick LeSabre. Both of those were absolutely trouble free, but were also relatively low mileage (old woman, lol). But, this 2000 Buick Park Avenue seems a little cheap. The driver seat control panel on the side of the seat used to pop out all the time. Dealer fixed it. The lumbar doesn't work on the passenger seat and the seat belt adjuster doesn't work on the driver's seat.

The engine (3.8), as always, has been excellent. No oil consumption whatsoever. Great highway gas mileage (31-34mpg, depending on weather, gas, etc.) Pretty easy to hit 32mpg on the highway doing 55+ no matter what.

But, city driving and backroads give poor mileage in it. But, it's a heavy car with a V6, so, it takes a little more to get up and go.

That's just my experience with it. Oh, and as far as style, I think it has a muscle-ish look to it. If I wasn't a Ford man, I wouldn't mind having a Park Avenue like that in black. It would look very sharp.

Well, Jaymus, I haven't noticed any transmission whine. I just had the fluid and filter changed late last year at about 49 or 50K, and I hope that regular 30K changes will make the box last.

True, city mileage by itself would be kind of poor. But I drive about 18% highway, and that pulls my numbers up to the 21-22 range over each 7-10 day period.

Mine is so dark a grey it's almost black, along with blackwall tires and chrome factory wheels, all of which keep the monster from looking too much like a Bingo Night Express. It does have a muscular look to it -- seen head on with that toothy grille, it's rather like a powerful killer whale bearing down on you.

We have 2 3800s in the family fleet:

95 Bonneville w/167k(mine)
00 Park Ave w/100k(Dads)

Great cars!!!
Keep an eye on the coolant. If it drops, you may have an intake leak, which needs to be changed quickly(hydrolock in extreme cases of leakage)

Change out the coolant every 2 years, as the used Dexcool doesnt like the intake gaskets.

Ive changed out the gaskets and plastic manifolds on both, but still very happy..

Originally Posted By: mwsku83
Originally Posted By: javacontour
I used to call my '87 LeSabre the LeSofa, FWIW

That's pretty funny. I used to drive a 1990 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme back in college that my friends called the couch on wheels.

That's hilarious! My friends call my Town Car "The Couch", though it is also known as "Binky" and the "LHO".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back