2004 Sentra QG18DE 48000 RP 5W30 5200

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my latest UOA on my 2004 Nissan Sentra 1.8L with ~48,000 miles.
Oil was Royal Purple 5w30 with about 5,200 miles on it.
Car is mostly used for a 2 mile commute to work and back in stop and go traffic.

I have had a gurgling sound from the heater core for almost 1.5 yrs. I thought it was just air in the system from my poor coolant change job until it was suggested to me that the headgasket might be leaking combustion gases into the cooling system which is why all efforts to bleed the system fail.

The UOA seems to support this but it would be nice to here other opinions on this from the forum members!
oilanalysis.jpg

Pretty dang good report given the horrible driving conditions AND possible coolant leak.

Okay, this is worrying me, b/c I get that same 'gurgling' noise from my heater core for about the last 2 years. I had air bubbles in my cooling system that caused an 'almost overheat' situation, but a system flush and pressure test revealed no problems before this gurgling noise.....

Is there any other source of sodium and potassium aside from coolant additives?
I have used seafoam in my car, but that was almost 2 years ago, so I doubt it would still linger.

I don't notice any significant coolant loss, so I'm not sure if I take my car to the dealership (still under warranty), that they'll be able to detect a leak by a compression test.

Originally Posted By: daschrier1
Is there any other source of sodium and potassium aside from coolant additives?
I have used seafoam in my car, but that was almost 2 years ago, so I doubt it would still linger.

I don't notice any significant coolant loss, so I'm not sure if I take my car to the dealership (still under warranty), that they'll be able to detect a leak by a compression test.

Not sure where else sodium and potassium could be coming from other than coolant. You went from 0 to this in 13,500 miles. I would take your report and car to dealer. Tell them you have a coolant leak. I had a Chevy 5.3 with a coolant leak. Dealer ran VIN and checked casting number on heads. They knew it was a problem and replaced heads all with 1 month left on warranty.

head gasket coolant leak! Nissan sucks and won't stand behind their product if your outside of warranty by 6k miles. 2nd headgasket here on a 03 Sentra 1.8L

Unfortunately you have the head-gasket failing vehicles, so have that fixed as soon as possible and then flush your coolant with a propylene glycol based coolant. That is not as damaging to engine internals in the event of contamination.

The 1.8 is fairly famous for this problem. You definately have a coolant leak. Fix it ASAP-your bearings are already showing signs of taking a hit.

REDDOG

Is Nissan aware of this problem, even if they won't admit it?
I've never had to deal with a dealership for any repairs so this will be a new process for me.

My car is under warranty until July, so I have enough time.

I've only used Nissan coolant in my car, is this propylene glycol?

I don't know what the current Nissan coolant is based on, but I would be surprised if it was anything but ethylene glycol. Take your UOA with you, explain the presence of the coolant and tell them you have heard the gurgling sound. Don't take no for an answer, you have a legitimate problem they should fix that could have serious longevity issues with your vehicle if not repaired in a timely manner. Good luck!

REDDOG

Agree completely. Sodium and potassium is the classic sign of a coolant leak, and the elevated lead reading is the classic result. Since it is under warranty you should do exactly what Reddog said. Armed with the UOA and with the gurgling as evidence they would have to be truly foolish not to take care of it for you.

My 05 Sentra 1.8 headgasket blew at 34,000. I knew it was leaking at around 24K. I took it in and they said there wasn't a leak. I traded the car in right after I had the headgasket replaced.

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
My 05 Sentra 1.8 headgasket blew at 34,000. I knew it was leaking at around 24K. I took it in and they said there wasn't a leak. I traded the car in right after I had the headgasket replaced.

I've considered just getting rid of it, but the car will be paid off in july, and it has too much wear and tear from driving in the city that I probably wouldn't get much of a trade in.

I did see 03 sentras being offered at 9k internet specials. That seems very high to me since I only paid 11k for my car brand new...but more economical cars are in demand right now.

I'm in a different part of the country and we get the same results from Nissan dealerships. They won't repair unless the check engine light is on showing a leak. Stupid I know. I had the system pressure tested, they said it was fine which was a lie. Probably didn't do it at all, and sent me on my way hoping I'll be out of warranty when the gasket fully was gone.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

I'm in a different part of the country and we get the same results from Nissan dealerships. They won't repair unless the check engine light is on showing a leak. Stupid I know. I had the system pressure tested, they said it was fine which was a lie. Probably didn't do it at all, and sent me on my way hoping I'll be out of warranty when the gasket fully was gone.

That's what I'm afraid of. Since the leak is so minor, I doubt a compression test will show anything. Is it routine for dealerships to do the block test with the dye that turns color from the combustion gas in the radiator?

Originally Posted By: REDDOG
Finklejag,

Did Nissan repair the car under warranty?

Yes, Nissan's have a 60K powertrain warranty.

I was real stupid. I bought a 07 Altima with the 2.5
06.gif

I been in for three recalls already. Minor stuff. No problems with the engine. They had five years to work the bugs out of the QR25DE. Nissan really did a good job on this car, very well built.

My dad's sentra will be paid off this august. if the gasket starts leaking again in a few years again, we'll trade in for a honda or toyota compact

I was a big Nissan guy until 2002. Bought a 2002 Sentra 1.8L brand new. Developed gurgling rushing fluid sound from time to time and thought nothing about it. 30,000 mile into ownership temperature goes to red and car overheats. From then on had to keep adding coolant with no sign of leaks. Turned out to be head gasket and Nissan would do nothing for me. Took a big hit on trade in as it wasn't worth much. Never another Nissan for me.

What a shame too as my family had great luck with previous generation Sentras with the 1.6L.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back