Krytox weatherstrip conditioner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, you can get it from mcmaster-carr. I have two tubes and it works great.

JMH

Called VW. $64 for the 30ml liquid and $111 for the grease. Yowza, "That thars a might bit spensiv". I wonder how much worse regular di-electric grease would perform?

2-oz tube costs about $35 at mcmaster. Its a LOT of grease, it goes a VERY long way... Your eally dont want a lot on your seals, ir it will just end up on your coat.

JMH

Cool link XS650. I wonder how much that big container in the back of the photo costs?
shocked2.gif

JHZ, Thanks much for the lead on mcmaster-carr. Didn't know they existed. Ordered from them today as vw only has the liquid in stock and much more expensive. I noticed that the aerospace grade krytox lube in a grease gun cartridge is $1600! That's over $100 per ounce, Yikes!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: saaber1
JHZ, Thanks much for the lead on mcmaster-carr. Didn't know they existed. Ordered from them today ....

How have you gotten though life without them?
grin2.gif

They also have outstanding service. You will like them. I used to almost always get my orders from them in under 24 hours via plain old ground UPS when I lived in San Jose, about 400 miles from them.

This Krytox stuff looks very interesting to me- I've researched it via Internet and I see some liquid variations as well as greases. I wonder which is best for weatherstripping? Would either suffice? Just curious as my Civic and my old Chevy pickup could use some in places (my joints could use it too!)

Originally Posted By: XS650
JHZ, Thanks much for the lead on mcmaster-carr. Didn't know they existed. Ordered from them today ....

grin2.gif

They also have outstanding service. You will like them. I used to almost always get my orders from them in under 24 hours via plain old ground UPS when I lived in San Jose, about 400 miles from them.

Yup, they are good aren't they? I have the same 1-day experience (UPS Ground) here in PA. I order from them usually at least once a week for work. Stuff comes out of New Jersey the next day. Once in a great while, it comes out of Chicago, that's 2 or 3 days, but is the exception, not the rule.

That might have Teflon in it. If it does, and you're a smoker, be sure to wash thuroughly before smoking, you don't want to contaminate your cigarette with Teflon. One of the by-products of burning Teflon (or other flurocarbons) is fluorine gas, and that's nasty stuff.

I do not smoke but thank you for the information.

Since no one has said yea or nay to either Krytox oil or grease form I reckon both are fine and dandy for weatherstrip use; I just thought one might be better than the other.

I used the grease and it sure looks like it is going to stay on there a LONG time. Some rubbed off on the windows due to window strip application and it took some effort to get off.

The liquid would definately be easier to apply, no question, as the grease goes on "stiff" for lack of a better term. I haven't tried the liquid but my gut feel is that I would rather use the liquid due to easier application. I would plan on doing it maybe twice as often (total guess) with the liquid. Judging by what I have seen so far, I wouldn't be surprised if that grease was still on there and working 1 year from now (I mean on the exterior parts that are exposed to the elements).

Also I should have mentioned that the grease cured made my squeaking and "hanging up" weatherstripping at the bottom of the window within one day. It is soft an pliable now and doesn't squeak or roll over when lowering the window like it used to. Have had it thorugh several car washes and rains and it looks identical to when applied. I'm impressed so far.

OMG that's expensive! But I really would like a good rubber/weather strip conditioner too, as my BMW coupe has the windows that 'drop' a bit when you open the door. (frameless windows)

IS this Krytox a lot better than 1Z Gummipflege?

And What's 'BMW Lube'? Isn't that the same as Einszett Gummipflege stick?

Last edited:
They are freeking awesome. I live near Milwaukee and if I order by 5 or so in the evening it arrives the next day by standard UPS. Never fails, even when it is something relatively obscure from their (huge) catalog. Plus they only charge you actual UPS shipping charges (or less it seems sometimes), no bogus upcharges at all. And their prices are generally very competitive.

Another comparable product to Krytox is Molykote 3452 also available from McMaster-Carr. It is a fluorosilicone based grease.

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
Originally Posted By: XS650

grin.gif

Yup, they are good aren't they? I have the same 1-day experience (UPS Ground) here in PA. I order from them usually at least once a week for work. Stuff comes out of New Jersey the next day. Once in a great while, it comes out of Chicago, that's 2 or 3 days, but is the exception, not the rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back