P 935---------------818
Zn 797---------------1014
Ti 0-----------------0
V 0-----------------0

Visc 100C= 8.49------8.73

TBN= 6.9-------------3.67

Fuel= 0--------------
Water=0--------------0

I'm very happy with the way things are progressing so early in this vehicle's life. Refilled with another round of Formula Shell 5w-30 and a Napa Gold filter-will change at 7500 total vehicle miles and start a steady diet of Schaeffer's 7000.

Thanks! Didn't honestly expect wear metals to drop so soon, especially with the cold weather.

I'm looking forward to seeing the next sample, should be drawing that in a couple of weeks.

ThirdeYe,

No noticable consumption of oil. Engine was operated from day one in a "normal" manner. By that I mean it was driven then just as it is driven now. If anything I tried to make sure there were a few more hard accelerations than normal.

REDDOG why would you switch to the waaaay overpriced Schaeffers when you have great results with Shell?

REDDOG,

As numerous members of this board have come to realize, Schaeffer's is an excellent oil and is nowhere near being overpriced as claimed by jarvk22.

Consider a UOA after your second run of Schaeffer's and post it here so we can see how your engine is performing with that oil.

Originally Posted By: dkryan
REDDOG,

As numerous members of this board have come to realize, Schaeffer's is an excellent oil and is nowhere near being overpriced as claimed by jarvk22.

Consider a UOA after your second run of Schaeffer's and post it here so we can see how your engine is performing with that oil.
It's way overpriced when compared to Shell , I can buy Formula Shell for $ 1.69 a quart all day long. Schaeffers is more than twice that when you include shipping , do you think Schaeffers is two and a half times better than Shell . Look at the UOA section Schaeffers protects no better than the top name brands dino oils.

Originally Posted By: jarvk22
REDDOG why would you switch to the waaaay overpriced Schaeffers when you have great results with Shell?

You can get Schaeffer's 7000 series for a little over $3/quart. How is that overpriced?

dkryan-This FormulaShell is SL left over from a while back. I will be sampling all my oil runs in at least the near future. I had the opportunity to start sampling this vehicle from new and as long as I'm not in danger of going broke I will continue to do so to get a good trend and just out of curiousity. So, I will be posting several back-to-back-to-back Schaeffer runs over the next couple of years-I'm sitting on 21 gallons so I've got enough to get over the 100k mark.

jarvk22-I don't consider Schaeffer's overpriced. It costs twice what the FormulaShell costs at Wal Mart and less than twice what most SM conventional oils cost and is capable of drains 2 times as long, as many here can attest. I wanted to go with Schaeffer's because it has an impressive history of great UOAs in about anything it is put in. Do a search for "Schaeffer" in this forum and you'll see what I mean. I like to change oil as much as the next guy, but with a vehicle that will see a fair amount of mileage it is not always practical to change the oil every few weeks. For example it was 10 deg F the night I changed this oil out-lying on the snow covered frozen ground kind of took the fun out of it. I think the Schaeffer's will provide great numbers on longer drains for little more outlay. My 7500 mile oci's should prove conservative for the Schaeffer's, which is the way I'd like to have it. I do like the FormulaShell though, I think it's a good performer for shorter drains at a reasonable price. I'll post the next Shell UOA,too.

02zx9r and ProfPS-When I bought my Schaeffer's awhile back I paid about 4 a quart including sales tax, but don't know if that's the current price or not.

jarvk22:

Do I think Schaeffer's is two and one-half times better than Formula Shell?

Not if you run 2,900 mile OCIs. With 7.5k mile OCIs? You bet!

Last edited:
The Schaeffers would be the oil to use over the shell if you were going to run the engine hard or push the oil change intervals. It is a heavier duty oil. Study up the uoa's.Lots of information posted.

Originally Posted By: dkryan
Was that API SL or SM oil?

I'm still waiting for his reply on this question too. He listed it as being SL -- but lets ask again.

With phos at 818 and zinc at 1014, it looks more like SJ oil.

How old is this stuff?

Last edited:
Everything break-in related trended down, but the Si value is almost the same. Why?
54.gif

Are you using the OE air filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back