Castor Oil...Why doesn't everyone run it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone asked me to post a question about Castor oil and what the real deal was about it. Anyone care to chime in and give some specifics other than what it smells like? From the other forum...

But did you want to do me a favor and find out the lowdown on castor oil? If its so great, why isn't everyone running it?

They say it burns cleaner, makes better power, and even lubes better... So if this is the case, then what am I missing why people aren't ripping this stuff off the shelf? The cost can't be the problem, as Amsoil and other brands are just as costly as some 927.

castor oil gums up quickly and does not possess any necessary high temperature stability characteristics or deposit control capability to keep the engine in-operation in proper lubrication.

Both TOm Slick and XS650 are indeed correct on this one.

I only save castor oil for fogging oil only (or use it in small scale R/C planes for fun)

True, it may not be suited in many applications. In engines who's piston life is measured in laps and rebuilds are done before any of the possible effects of gumming come even close to being a problem. Then it can be a valid, choice. I've seen it make power (over other oils) in small engines many times through the years and provide very good protection. Example I ran 20hr rebuilds on my 125cc race bikes and never stuck a ring from gumming, and this was running forged pistons fit at cast clearances (tight). Something I'd never been able to do with other oils. I believe a mineral or synthetic of the same high molecular weight could give the same results, but would also suffer from the same "gumming" reports. IMHO there is nothing iso-egd or jaso on the market built that would compare with bean oil. Some race oils may have heavy weight synthetic stock or mineral brightstock, but then they aren't going to run clean either. just my 02,

Last edited:
Smells great, and I use it in lawn equipment from time to time (makes mowing smell a little more exciting).

Absorbs moisture, and makes deposits.

Wouldn't use it in an expensive (compared to a weed whacker) engine...unless it was being raced.

Not to go too far against the grain, but I ran Maxima Castor 927 racing oil in my '96 yamaha superjet when it was bone stock, for over 600 engine hours..no small feat for a 2 stroke jetski. The exhaust manifold (there are no valves) was coated with a decent layer of hardened carbon, but after that many hours big deal. Since upgrading the engine to limited race spec which includes new/clean exhaust, and I have switched to interceptor since.

It gummed up the power valves on My KDX200. The smell is the only reason most people I know run it. I would think it would be a great oil for racing only,it protects well and you have frequent tear downs, if your a weekend warrior about once a month, you are asking for headaches. I use Yamalube 2R, Ive tried alot of oils and had the best luck with this at 40:1, hardly any deposits and minium wear. Plus, easily obtainable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back