Tire Patch - Mushroom Type (Patch Plus Plug)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.
Has anyone used these tire patches:
They're referred to as 'Mushroom' patches, and are the patch and plug combined into one unit. The repair is made from the inside of the tire, by pulling the plug through the hole and cementing the patch.
They're supposed to be an excellent patching system, much better than using a patch or plug alone.....

Work excelently. Probably the most professional oriented method though.

Now it time for all the "I've pluged my own tires for the past (however many years)" crowd to jump in here and tell you how unnecessary American Rim and Tire Mfgrs. guidelines are. Many tire manufacturers will not honor warranty if tire has been only plugged or patched (instead of both) even if failure is not related to repair.

Bob

The biggest problem with a rope type of plug is that you don't get to inspect the inside of the tire for damage. With a patch you break the tire down. If there is rubber dust in it you know that it was ran flat and is no good.

Yes this is what we use at work. The way I understand it, the patch does the actual sealing and the plug merely helps to fill the hold to prevent further damage to cords and such, but I could be wrong. I have never had a single one of these things come back leaking either, so they seem to be pretty good. We get them from Tech Tire and refer to them as a "high performance patch"

Customers always ask us to plug the tires, we always tell them no and they ALWAYS gawk at the 32$ after tax, but labor is labor and making a quick 10$ off a plug just isnt worth the risk.

Jim

No problems with using stretched rubber plugs or tarred rope types in the shop.
We run a small drill to orient the steel strands, juice the hole, and then juice the plug and install it.

Two thumbs up for the plug-patch. Seals the puncture, and most importantly to me, seals the hole that goes through the tire structure (which is why I prefer plugs over plain patches, but at the top of the heap is the mushroom patch).

Alex.

That muchroom patch sounds good, but most holes are not centered, and that would subject the inner patch to constant flexing and invite failure. The hole is sealed by the substance IN the hole.

"That muchroom patch sounds good, but most holes are not centered," mechtech2

Centered, in reference to what??????? If it's not centered in the area the tech buffs, whose fault is that? Hole not in exact center line of tire??What difference could that possibly make? The thin rubber innerlining of a tire is the SINGLE most important ingredient to keeping the air INSIDE the tire. Seal the innerliner and even if the cord and belts do eventually rot and deteriorate, it'll be long after tread has given its useful life. Best repair is and allways will be to seal the liner and fill the hole.

Bob

Originally Posted By: alreadygone
Centered, in reference to what???????

He says that punctures are usually not "perpendicular" to the tread. Usually, a puncture will be at an angle.

Plug-patch (what we called them) work great. I installed many years ago when I worked at a service station. It kind of depends on the hole size. For a small hole (like from a small nail, where we couldn't get the tire reamer through) we'd just patch from the inside. It didn't make sense to open the hole just to install a plug-patch. The plug-patch was for the bigger holes, usually a screw, or a big nail that had been run in the tire a bit, an animal tooth (pulling it out, what the??, aw yuck). In any case preperation, taking the time to let the cleaners and cements dry properly was critical. You can't rush a good patch job.

Just my 2 cents, but mushroom patches can accommodate up to a 15 degree off of perpendicular hole - and that should pretty much cover 95% of the punctures.

BTW, it isn't filling the hole that seals the tire - that just....ah.....fills the hole and prevents water from coming into contact with the steel belt (among other things). The patch is what provides the air tight seal - not to mention reinforcing the area around the hole. That hole becomes a stress riser (if you've studied stress analysis)

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Originally Posted By: alreadygone
Centered, in reference to what???????

He says that punctures are usually not "perpendicular" to the tread. Usually, a puncture will be at an angle.

I'd just about bet the manufacturers of these repairs have encountered this also. The product is designed to accomodate.

A plug/patch or a plug and a seperate patch provide the best method of repairing a tire. Either by itself is 1/2 arse repair.

Bob

Im with Bob on this one. I usually use a reamer to straighten a hole if it is abnormally crooked.

I also use Tech Tire's "security coat" to coat the buffed tire area and patch after I have finished. I Keep a plug set at home just in case I am completely SOL but I would not use it. My favorite is people who plug tires and don't want to balance them hahaha.

CapriRacer, what are your thoughts on products like Fix-a-Flat? I persoanlly hate the stuff, and have been told that it sort of "melts" the liner of the tire to seal the puncture, any thoughts?

Jim

"CapriRacer, what are your thoughts on products like Fix-a-Flat? I persoanlly hate the stuff, and have been told that it sort of "melts" the liner of the tire to seal the puncture, any thoughts?" Jim

Not Capri, but long held opinion(yes, I know what else everyone has)is that it's mis-named. If they'd relabel Fix-A-flat as "Rust-A-Rim" it'd be the most effective product on the automotive aftermarket. Doesn't do the tire any good either.

Bob

Originally Posted By: kartracer55
......CapriRacer, what are your thoughts on products like Fix-a-Flat? I persoanlly hate the stuff, and have been told that it sort of "melts" the liner of the tire to seal the puncture, any thoughts?

Jim

When they used to use flammable propellants, they were really dangerous to use.

Personally I don't see a problem with them except:

1) I've heard they don't work very well.

2) They gum up the works inside making a lot of work for the poor schmuck who has to take the tire off.

3) Some folks think that once they use this stuff it's a permanent fix.

I'll tell you I have a can in each of my cars, but it's there simply in case I have to use it. I'll bet my cans are about 10 years old at this point and I'll bet they won't work at all! Makes me sounds pretty stupid, doesn't it!

The Plug Patch is BY far the way to go.. I have replaced too many old TarPatch Cord [censored] pieces of JUNK that leaked to count anymore. Hat those things. They get old and leak. A properly installed plug patch never ever leaks again. If you find a leaker it leaked when the finished the repair the first time and did not get it right.

ONLY WAY TO GO!!!

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Ewetho,

Would you please estimate what percent of the plugs leak?

I have a value in mind and would like a little input.

Capri, gonna come in uninvited,,,but,, those of us in the tire repair business never see any of the plugs that don't leak! Of the tires that come in the shop leaking, we do a quick visual for cause of puncture, as soon as a plug is spotted it's time to grab the soapy water bottle and give it a spray cause you've at least 80% of the time found the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back