Web resource? Cars that use a given size tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The discussions here that some retail stores selling tires won't mount a tire of a size that differs from the placard prompts a question.

ASSUME my car uses P225/60R16 97S tires, and I'd like a little more good feeling (load capacity). A 215/65R16 98S does that, and is virtually the same effective circumference.

Is there a website where I can enter the 215/60R16 and find vehicles that use that tire? If so, one could carry the wheels in and tell them it was for a xyz car rather than the zyx they were really going on.

There are MANY that take car to size ...

williar,

I don't think buying/selling is a problem. It's the mounting that is the problem. And TireRack is not going to help him with the mounting.

George,

I don't know of any such website, but a 2001 Honda Odyssey uses 215/65/16 tires as OEM.

I've always taken my wheels in and told them what tire size I want on the wheels. Nobody has ever cared that I don't tell them what car it's for.

When I wanted to know what other vehicles used the same uncommon tire size as my Mazda3, I just flipped through my Carguide annual buyer's guide. It lists all tire options for each car.

George,

I think the real problem stems from 2 areas:

1) Putting on tires that are smaller in load carrying capacity - potentially a legal liability if there is an accident

2) Putting on tires that are bigger in some dimension. Another legal problem if the tire rubs on anything.

FWIW, I find that there are certain folks who - unless you do it exactly by the book - are going to come back and blame some unrelated problem on you. (Sometimes even when you do it by the book). And, of course, there will be some who will want you to do something stupid, and - when you say "No!" - will argue with you.

I suspect that if you bring the rims in, they will mount pretty much anything on it.

Oh, and there is a book published with that info. It's called the OE Tire Guide and it's published by Tire Guides.

Do a search for your target size on ebay or craigslist.

Ebay works well if you drop all the dashes and letters, eg 205 55 16.

At some point someone will say "Were on a Hupmobile 720i". Bingo!

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
I think the real problem stems from 2 areas:

1) Putting on tires that are smaller in load carrying capacity - potentially a legal liability if there is an accident

2) Putting on tires that are bigger in some dimension. Another legal problem if the tire rubs on anything.
I suspect there is a 3rd on larger product, speedometer reads low and our litigious society sues shop for the speeding ticket
I suspect that if you bring the rims in, they will mount pretty much anything on it.
The privately owned shop where I used to buy tires asks, and nicely tells me if they think I am stupid. When I switched from 225/60R16 to 215/65R16, they approved. BUT, they have closed, and I'm tempted to use Sams, WalMart or Costco who won't unless I tell them the vehicle. Thus the question. And thanks for this particular one for the Honda minivan answer above ... my Chevy alloy rims MIGHT be an issue, but maybe not.
Oh, and there is a book published with that info. It's called the OE Tire Guide and it's published by Tire Guides.
Ah, I've seen that in many of the retail establishments, but never realized there was a reverse listing; easy to look up vehicle to find tire, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back