Leaning towards CZ 75, any thoughts????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided to FINALLY get around to taking a CCW class and getting my license. Really liked the way the CZ 75 felt and handled. Not really familiar with 9mm or semi auto's for that matter. Have a couple of revolvers, 22 single action and a .357 single six. Noticed there are a few different types of 9mm carried by CZ. Any suggestions. This is strictly for personal defense. Forgot to add, this is a compact.

Last edited:
I don't know the current quality but they used to be very good guns. The design is very strong and reliable. Fairly unique in that it can be carried cocked and locked or double action/single action. They are all steel so they would be very heavy for CCW needs. I would look at one of the plastic framed guns for CCW. I happen to like the XD series (ergonomics work for me) but Glock and others are high quality.

Never really held or fired the CZ 75 but if you can get a good deal then I say go for it.

Last week I got a chance to fire the S&W M&P in a .40, very nice gun. Also going to fire off the Springfield XD in a .40 this Sat. after holding it, it feels much like the M&P. Nice grip and good balance. The clips are [censored] near impossible to load without the speed loader though.

Good luck

I think the cz75 is an all time classic,one of my favorites.Now the bad news.Thet began to investment cast the frames and slides to cut costs.Dont think thats a big deal,but the purists will make you think it is.Second,thats a heavy mo fo for ccw .May I suggest the xd 40?Lighter,cz grip angle,and an unobtrusive grip safety that I am sure mr glock wishes he had thought of.One of the best pistols I own{but I still think of the cz as fondly as an old corvette}

The cz 2075 REMI comes in at 25 ounces unloaded. Pretty comparable to others in weight. Roger on the rails. They have the P model which uses a "polymer" (think plastic), that I ain't interested in.

I have a CZ75B 2000 round or so through it. I have never had a problem and shoots better with every round. Shoots well with cheap or expensive ammo. The wife enjoys shooting it also. I did put hogue grips on it.

Educate me gun brethren. I think I'm going to go ahead and get the CZ. Found a place in Lawton that I can get that particular gun for about 540. Have the CCW class on 3/9. Will have to shot 50 rounds. What type, kind of ammo should I get? I don't think I'd want the hallow rounds, heard they tend to get stuck a lot. Can I get away with a box or two at Walmart? It's the 9mm.

Just for shooting fun I use cheap CCI Blazers. They run through the gun like hot butter.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
Educate me gun brethren. I think I'm going to go ahead and get the CZ. Found a place in Lawton that I can get that particular gun for about 540. Have the CCW class on 3/9. Will have to shot 50 rounds. What type, kind of ammo should I get? I don't think I'd want the hallow rounds, heard they tend to get stuck a lot. Can I get away with a box or two at Walmart? It's the 9mm.

The CZ is going to be a little heavy (and trust me as someone who carries all the time for many years) and that will get real old when CCW.

I carry a S&W M&P 40c and S&W 638 Snub .38+P and both are light (the snub is quite a bit lighter).

Also, I'm 6ft 6" / 300lbs and can feel the difference in weight when CCW.

The M&P has a $50 rebate (so around $450) plus 2 free mags so you'd have 4 mags and be $100 cheaper.

Excellent firearm. I've been a Glock guy for many years (since they came out) and have sold all the Glocks. Replaced them with M&Ps.

As far as ammo, the HP (hollow points) on some guns will JAM (I think thats what you meant with the word stuck) and that is not good.

You want to have a weapon that will fire HP ammo (for self defense) and LEARN how to clear a jam (along with other possible problems) without thinking.

Practice, practice and when your done. More practice.

If you like the CZ, it is a good weapon. Just a little heavy.

Make sure you fire many guns before buying one.
thumbsup2.gif

Just get the cheapest ammo (most likely FMJ (full metal jacket) ) that should work in the gun.

Also, a good holster is something VERY IMPORTANT. Expect to spend $60-$100+ for a good IWB (inside waist band) and one size larger pants. A good 1 1/2 inch belt is nice to have also.

Here are my 2 CCW weapons. (sorry the photo is a little foggy, my camera was out in my go bag in the garage).

Hopefully this helps...

Take care, Bill

PS: Also the Poly guns are actually stronger than the alloy guns. I've cracked a few alloy framed guns in my lifetime...

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

The CZ is going to be a little heavy (and trust me as someone who carries all the time for many years) and that will get real old when CCW.

S&W 638 Snub .38+P and both are light (the snub is quite a bit lighter).

Couldn't agree more. You will never carry a heavy gun (most likely). Liighter (for me is better)

I don't carry that much but I carry a very small/light Sigma .380. Probably many here would argue against it. But its light, reliable. And since you are a relative novice, you should limit yourself to either a revolver or a Double Action only auto.

+1 Bill.I have beretta 96 that is my favorite gun in the world,but I carry a springfield XD40.I dont care for 9mm,although some of the new hp rounds are bridging the gap.Weight makes a helluva difference,and a good holster is a must.As for the gun only weighing 25 oz's,I am sure thats the unloaded weight.To be effective you would need to consider a full mag and a spare for backup.$540 seems a little high for a cz in my part of the country,maybe normal there,but dont run to Wal mart to buy ammo after you buy a gun from a local shop.I know its cheaper,but Wal mart aint gonna sell ammo after hillary or obama outlaws guns,and you dealer is trying to feed his family.Whatever you buy,carry it daily and practice often.

Originally Posted By: babyhuey
I carry a springfield XD40.I dont care for 9mm,although some of the new hp rounds are bridging the gap.

Got a chance to fire one this weekend, very nice handgun. I like the feel of it, however not to particular on the magazine loading. But would still recommend going out and holding/firing one.

Got the gun last week, CZ 2075 REMI. Ya'll were right, it's a little more heavier than a Taurus or Belarus. Have to turn the gun a little sideways to release the slide with my thumb and that thing is TIGHT. Shot 50 rounds on Sunday. Feels great and not too much kickback. Sights are a little off so I have to adjust manually as the sides are not adjustable. The only thing I don't like is once a round is chambered, I can't put it on safety. Now I can cock it, and then it will go in safety mode, but that's the only way. Not really crazy about carrying a gun around being cocked even with the safety on. Will have to hide it from the 4 year old.

that CZ has a firing pin safety which allows you to carry the gun hammer down with a round in the chamber much like every other da/sa handgun.

No problem carrying cock and locked. It is safe. If you don't like it, you have to load the gun, and VERY CARRFULLY pull the trigger and let the hammer down on the slide. THIS IS DANGEROUS, but the only way to have this gun in double action, ready to fire mode.

no decocker, has it problems. When dropping the hammer make sure you have a good hold of the hammer with your other hand and ease that hammer down with your hand that is holding the hammer.

So this is "normal" for this type of gun? Cool, now I know. I thought for a second there that maybe I got a bad gun. Thanks fellas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back