Castrol syn blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone use this oil on a regular basis?I loooked for some UOA's, but i couldn't find any. I'm wanting to switch over to a more conventional oil since my 06 silverado experinced some leaks after 30k plus on just synthetic.

Our Honda used the Syntec Blend the first 40K, or so. I now blend GTX and Syntec. It's cheaper and gives me a known mix percentage (Castrol won't divulge the percentage of their blend). The Honda 3.0L V6 takes 5 qts. (with an oversized filter) and I mix one of Syntec and four GTX, both 5W-30, for about a 20 percent syn blend. I have had good UOAs on both my blend and the "official" Castrol Syntec Blend (which is probably virtually the same thing). I doubt your leaks are due to synthetic oil, especially Castrol, which is a Group III. I'm doubtful any high mileage oil will help, but once in a while it does soften up a seal that got hard. It can't put rubber back on a worn out seal lip, though, or repair an improperly installed seal or fix a break in a bead of RTV.

If you are considering a syn blend and have had leak issues then I'd say those are the perfect indications for Maxlife semi-syn. First-rate blend oil with seal conditioners. It really doesn't matter how much syn is in the blend, it gives great results and stands a good chance of helping with any oil usage.

Originally Posted By: Twin
Does anyone use this oil on a regular basis?I loooked for some UOA's, but i couldn't find any. I'm wanting to switch over to a more conventional oil since my 06 silverado experinced some leaks after 30k plus on just synthetic.

Here are a few;

syntec blend uoa

syntec blend toyota Matrix

Castrol Syntec Blend 05 Corolla (mine)

Good oil, over priced.

GTX is as good and IMO what I'd run over the blend.

Take care, bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back