Brake fluid to lubricate Rubber bushings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If brake fluid does not damage rubber seals throughout the brake system, could I use it to lubricate dried out bushings on a car? A lot of guys spray them with PBblaster but I can imagine this will deteriorate the rubber, no?

Thanks

Jim

that is never a good idea to begin with:

1) brake fluid if hydroscopic meaning that it will attract moisture.

2)lack of lubricity

3)not thick enough to resist washout.

use synthetic brake caliper sliding pin lube designed for brake caliper sliding pins and bushings only. They are meant to be used that way. PBBlaster and the likes will swell any rubber bushings causing them to break/crumble and moisture and dirt will get in.

I personally have been using sylglide for decades with full confidence and excellent results.Vehicles been serviced by yours-truely using sylglide on various brake related rubber bushings, caliper sliding pins, etc. have gone past million miles mark (I have over 200+ vehicles maintenance service records that I performed on) and none of them experienced any brake caliper seizure or damaged rubber caliper boots.

Lastly: if your rubber bushings/boots looked swollen and out of shape, replace them with a rebuild pack (Carlson or Beck Arney) for it may have come into contact with other petroleum products already and will fail fairly soon.

Q.

Don't know much about engineering, but getting brake fluid on any of the oil safe rubbers on your engine will turn them to jello, same as getting oil on any of the rubbers in your brake system will turn them to goo! The door seals and other automotive rubbers not designed for contact with oils or brake fluid with either get gooey, or rock hard with exposure to either one.

Bob

The elastomer used in contact with brake fluid is specifically formulated for the application. I wouldn't willy-nilly throw brake fluid on suspension bushings. You don't know how bushing elastomer will react to brake fluid. Silicone-based lubricants are the only thing that can be safely used in this situation.

Alright, thanks. I currently use CRC silicone spray and shake my head when I see guys spraying PBblaster to try and quiet noises

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back