Ralph Wood and his business

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed that he hasn't been posting anything here for a while also.
He sure took a lot of flack from people on some forums. For many people the idea of toilet paper just doesn't set well. I have the filters on two of my cars and one on my biodiesel processing tank.

One thing that made me think they just might be the right way to go are the UOAs that show that wear rates actually decrease as the oil is in use for a while. The idea of keeping the oil in the car and just adding a quart during filter changes started to make sense.

Ralph, IIRC, was battling cancer. I hope that he's not suffering ..or perhaps he's departed.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Ralph, IIRC, was battling cancer. I hope that he's not suffering ..or perhaps he's departed.

It would be most unfortunate if he is gone. Real world experience is hard to replace

I always liked reading the archives in this section with Ralph's experiances with tp bp filters. He had it down to a science with his practices and eye balling the condition of the oil. He is one of the few who promotes no oil changes, just filter and makeup oil on here.

I just ordered another from him last month. The only thing I was aware of was that Motor Guard wasn't happy with him modifying their filters and selling them with their label. I believe he was trying to get unpainted, unlabeled units for sale. I hope he can as they are nice units. I also hope he is in good health and doing well.

Originally Posted By: 02dmax
I just ordered another from him last month. The only thing I was aware of was that Motor Guard wasn't happy with him modifying their filters and selling them with their label. I believe he was trying to get unpainted, unlabeled units for sale. I hope he can as they are nice units. I also hope he is in good health and doing well.

That's good news. I hope that he's doing well too.

A proper bypass filter can really do a great job. Ralph had the right idea. I hope he is well and still in business. I have a Motorguard filter on my Listeroid. It works very well. The oil remains quite clean. Even with the junk fuel I run.

Chris

I just got off the phone with Ralph. He is doing fine.

It's like 02dmax said. Ralph said that motor guard is not happy with him using their name to sell oil filter. It sounds like it's because of some type of insurance liability.

Anyway his site is down because of that.

Originally Posted By: handyman
I just got off the phone with Ralph. He is doing fine.

It's like 02dmax said. Ralph said that motor guard is not happy with him using their name to sell oil filter. It sounds like it's because of some type of insurance liability.
Anyway his site is down because of that.

Thanks for the news, handyman.

I can understand MotorGuard not wanting to receive panic phone calls from weekend-hacks that have no business turning a wrench, or trying to install a bypass filter. After all, MotorGuard customer service reps know their product as compressed air filter.

Still, I think MotorGuard should be thankful that Ralph provides a wider-reaching application for MotorGuard's one-trick-pony.

I hope the situation resolves itself soon, with Ralph no worse for the wear.

-Jon

The company likes to sell filters but they remember all the [censored] stories that come with using toilet paper filters. They don't understand that TP filters have a lot more respect these days. There are a lot of people that won't buy a filter unless it uses toilet paper.
The only filters that can clean oil as good as TP are the TP copy filters. They have managed to come up with a rolled cellulose filter that they can charge more for and call it something other than toilet paper.

HELLO - RALPH!! Good to see you're still alive and kicking!! Post a bit now and then, please??

My guess is that it will need a redesign to get rid of the MG references and he probably has better things to do until a solution presents itself. I thought the idea of using unpainted/unbranded units was a good one. I wonder how difficult it would be to work out a deal like that where he could brand them himself as the non-air filter unit.

I think its ridiculous that MG would ignore this market. I guess in this world of liability its understandable though. Ralph, I had been trying for weeks to access your website and finally did a diy rig.If I had your number then I would have called, anyway hope all is well and everything is back running again soon!
dntfxr

I talked with Ralph on the phone again today. He thinks all the oil filter guys retired out of the company and the new guys don’t know anything but air filters. They sent him a certified letter.
Ralph may have to sell his modifications as “heavy duty modified air filters” not “oil filters”. Wink, Wink --- what you do with them is your business.

I sure hope Ralph finds a way to continue his business. I have 4 of his filters and am very satisfied with them. If I could figure out a way to mount one on my Grand Caravan, I would buy another one. I know the coolant is full of sludge, but there is just no room under the hood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back