transmission service on my silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.
getting ready to do a flush, new filter and fluid change on my silverado 1500. i do some light towing/hauling with it on occasion. i'm considering using mobil 1 synthetic atf. i'll probaly do the rear axle also. plan on using mobil 1 75w-90 gear oil. any comments good or bad on the mobil 1 atf? i've never used it before and am a little curious about it. my truck is a 2 wheel drive.

Be sure and read the owner's manual for the correct rear diff fluid. The tranny's are very particular, unless the manual says it's ok to use anything else, I would stick with the Dexron like the above poster said.

I would order some Amsoil ATF. Their website will tell you exactly what ATF you need, but I assume its their normal synthetic ATF. Then throw on a Magnefine filter and the tranny should last a long long time. I assume you are going to do a flush by pulling the lines going to the cooler? I would order a few extra quarts of ATF so you know you got all the old stuff out.

The transmission likely calls for Dex III, I've used the Mobil-1 ATF in my 05 Grand Prix and it worked great.
It's synthetic and equal to the newer Dex VI which is a blend.
The trans. pan gasket is re-useable so treat it carefully.
Unfortunately, Mobil-1 ATF is only available in quarts. Never seen it in gallons.

I recently changed the transmission fluid in my neighbor's 03 Silverado with 50K. Changing the filter was nearly impossible, there's a crossover exhaust pipe that goes under the pan. The best I could do was drop the pan a few inches, slip out the old filter and slip in a new one. I couldn't clean the pan and magnet.

I believe it took me 14 qts until I was satisfied the fluid flushed out was clear.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
I recently changed the transmission fluid in my neighbor's 03 Silverado with 50K. Changing the filter was nearly impossible, there's a crossover exhaust pipe that goes under the pan. The best I could do was drop the pan a few inches, slip out the old filter and slip in a new one. I couldn't clean the pan and magnet.

I believe it took me 14 qts until I was satisfied the fluid flushed out was clear.

Kestas,

Deeply respect your knowledge of bearings and most technical. This is the difference in professionals and hobby wrenches. At my shop that pan would have come off, reguardless of what else had to be removed/loosened to get to it. Had a customer in a month ago for trans service. Also a Chev PU, had to support trans so that rear crossmember could be removed to allow access to rear pan bolts. Guy's a truck driver, two weeks later when he was back home tranny gasket was leaking, pulled crosmember again and retightened pan bolts. Yesterday he was back STILL leaking. Pulled crossmember, pan and replaced gasket, poured her full of fluid, then apologised for all the inconvenience. Any other way to do business?

Bob

Mobil synthetic 75/90 diff juice revived the LSD in my 528e when I changed fluids at 275 k miles. Only synthetic I ever used in the car.

Bob, glad to see you run a good business. I was doing this work for hire for my neighbor. If it was my own vehicle I probably would have dropped the pan. I only expected to spend 2 hours to do the transmission for a $30 (his parts and fluid). I wasn't about to go back to him and ask for more money to drop the pan and clean it, nor was I willing to spend the extra trouble to do it. I believe he got better service for the money than from most local shops. I make good money and I don't need to do this work. It was more of a favor to him who trusts what I do. I told my neighbor exactly what was done.

You're right... there's a big difference between the hobbyist and a good professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back