Pennzoil Platinum have a lot of cleaning agents?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There has been a lot of talk about Group 4 Synthetics being able to clean engines extremely well. Then there have also been discussions about MaxLife and many High Mileage oils to have a lot of cleaning agents in them. My question is specifically about Pennzoil Platinum, a highly regarded oil on here. I know it's a Group 3 oil and wanted to see if it has a strong additive package for cleaning engines and keeping them clean. This oil is used in my home in the 5W-20 (used in a '06 Honda Pilot) and 5w-30 (used in a '04 Infiniti G35 & '99 Nissan Maxima w/ 125k miles on the odometer and two cleaning and rinse phases about 5k miles ago with Auto-RX).

Wanted to see some feedback regarding the cleaning agents in this oil from the experts on here.

Thanks

Last edited:
Highly regarded because PP can be found for less then most conventional oils during sales such as bogo or rebate deals. PP does not perform better, protect better, clean better - if at all then any other hydrocracked dino on the market today.

Originally Posted By: gaspo
....... PP does not perform better, protect better, clean better - if at all then any other hydrocracked dino on the market today.

Is this based on fact or is it just your opinion? You might want to take the time to closely review numerous UOAs on PP 5w20 and 5w30, especially those with 7-10k miles on the oil.

Because of bitog hype over PP we have seen enormous number of PP uoa reports lately. Any similar oil should produce the same results in given application. I remember the days of M1, GC and Havoline hype.., where are those fans and their five star uoa results?

Check out the Amsoil tests of 10 oils. 1. Amsoil 2. Mobil 1 EP 3.PP 4.-10.who cares?

I am not at all good at reading UOA's. It's all foreign language for me.

So, for those that read UOA's like a book, chip in and inform me about the cleaning properties of Pennzoil Platinum.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Check out the Amsoil tests of 10 oils. 1. Amsoil 2. Mobil 1 EP 3.PP 4.-10.who cares?

I guess you saw all these test results at at Mobil 1 website.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Right. I thought the tests were interesting just looking at the oils tested on a relative basis.

Originally Posted By: dkryan
Originally Posted By: gaspo
....... PP does not perform better, protect better, clean better - if at all then any other hydrocracked dino on the market today.

Is this based on fact or is it just your opinion? You might want to take the time to closely review numerous UOAs on PP 5w20 and 5w30, especially those with 7-10k miles on the oil.

Well, I tend to agree sorta. There's no magic oil. PP gets most of its fanfare due to being reasonably priced. Since it's relatively cheap, it has a lot of exposure in the UOA section. It's cheap enough to use like a dino for most members here. There are a couple of extended drains (by BITOG standards) but not all that many.

It's a fine oil.

I don't think that any oil, aside from those with real aggressive additive packages (w/esters - like RL) do much in terms of disruption of existing formations. I think they do a decent job of deposit control.

I don't know about cleaning ability. I was a Havoline guy, and still am. However, my 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan was using about 3/4 qts. of oil in 1200 miles. Not faulting Havoline, these engines seem prone to usage. Changed to PP, usage was about 1/4 qt in 3000 miles. Better oil? Don't know. Better under my driving conditions, yes!".

I gotta stop thinking like Gary.

Oil is oil and we expect a lot of our oil. But oils are NOT cleaners in any sense of the word other than flushing and carrying.....yes I know HDEO's have a ton on goodies in them that help carry stuff out. Does PP have more than the average oil? No, not really.

Quote:
There has been a lot of talk about Group 4 Synthetics being able to clean engines extremely well

Not that I have heard.

Yes I agree with others who have said that PP is nothing special. It is a very good oil that is commonly available at a good price that produces good UOAs.

As for Grp IV oil having extra cleaning ability, perhaps the poster really meant to say Grp V, or was confused about Grp IV vs Grp V? Grp V would make much more sense.

PP is good oil and I like it a lot, but for my money, basic conventional or something like Maxlife are better bang-for-buck at retail prices.

All very good though.

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
There has been a lot of talk about Group 4 Synthetics being able to clean engines extremely well.

GroupIV oils will keep an already clean engine clean but I have tried to clean a dirty engine with them with little success. In fact a GRPV (Redline) won't clean a dirty motor very much.

I will give you my observation, awhile back I did an oil change and added Pennzoil Platinum, when I went to change the oil it came out darker than any oil that I have used before.

I contacted Pennzoil and they said that this oil does have some robust cleaning agents.

Originally Posted By: c3po
I will give you my observation, awhile back I did an oil change and added Pennzoil Platinum, when I went to change the oil it came out darker than any oil that I have used before.

I contacted Pennzoil and they said that this oil does have some robust cleaning agents.

You might even say they were "active" cleaning agents.

My first oci of PP was a short one, 3k km. Oil came out filthy black. Second oci was not as bad, 3rd oil change stayed golden till about 4k km. 4th is in there now and has 6k km, hasn't burned a drop and still isn't as black as the first couple of ocis. Is it cleaning my engine, logic tells me yes.

Some of you don't believe Pennzoil's marketing!?! How dare you... you know it'll clean 46% of sludge in the first change
grin2.gif

It does have a high calcium level so it has alot of detergent.

To get cleaning ability in a dirty engine the OCI's need to be kept short at first so the oil does not become oversaturated and can't keep the contaminants suspended in the oil.

PP is good oil - I used it once when Walmart ran it on a sale. I didnt keep up with it due to expenses. Dino is fine for me and my lease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back