Proof that K&N WILL RUIN YOU ENGINE

Status
Not open for further replies.
K&N sucks. the oil gets released, ruins your MAF, makes your vehicle run like garbage!

oh wait, it's the idiot over-oiling it.

I've never had a problem in my three vehicles.

I also have had no issues with K&N's. Of course I do properly oil it, so no MAF issues. I've run UOA's that show no problems with dirt getting by. I guess I might be getting maybe 1-2 more HP at high RPM's but that's not why I use them. I use them for the cost savings over paper.

I'm totally not sold either way on K&N.

I know they can work fine. Plenty of good UOAs (low Si) with K&N. And as somebody said, this Chevy is like the ultimate UOA anyway.

But cost savings? I pay $13 for a good paper air filter every 50k or so. Factor in the time value of money ('cause we're talking years and years for ROI) and the value is questionable.

And don't forget the cost of materials and time in cleanings.

Originally Posted By: glennc
I pay $13 for a good paper air filter every 50k or so.

Every 50K for a paper filter? Wow!

I have seen K&N filters kill engines when used on dirt tracks and dirt rallys.
Maybe they are ok on asphalt.

The biggest problem I've seen with K&Ns are the owner not knowing what the heck they're doing.

Other than that I'll not touch them with a 10 foot pole.

You know, I always oiled my K&N and let it sit overnight on a papertowel. Then, before re-installing it, I blotted the other side. No issues, although a UOA or two showed slightly elevated levels of SI. I've recently gone with a dryflow to see if that makes any difference.

had a K&N on a dirt bike that had regular oil changes. Thing lost all compression in a year of regular high-dust use. Wouldn't start, required rebuild.

had a K&N on my commuter car. Ran great, no problems.

M

One thing I have noticed is that you can't clean it too often. I see a lot of bikes for sale where the sellers claim to have cleaned/oiled their filter after every ride. That is not the right thing to do. Foam or gauze, it will work better after it traps enough fine dirt to help with the filtration.

Still, there are lots of UOAs with K&Ns where Si was very low, so there is no doubt they can filter just as well as paper IF everything is as it should be.

Originally Posted By: Cory
Every 50K for a paper filter? Wow!
BMW recommends every Inspection II, which works out to 50k - 60k miles depending on how soon you trip the service indicator.

There is no need to change a filter as soon as it is a bit dirty. It will not hurt the flow and will help with filtration.

I was at work one day and about lunchtime i got a call from K&N head office. They informed me that they sent some agents that were outside in the parking lot, ruining my engine...

Some K&N fit poorly, that's another source of dirt. The urethane frame is hard as heck.

One way to keep the oil mist down is to wrap the filter in pantyhose. It also makes the filter easier to service since bugs and big dirt get caught out. You could jsut remove the pantyhose 1/2 way through the service interval, with the dirt and oil and use the filter a bit longer or clean it.

IMO, it's a worthless mod except some vehicles have very small filters, that more flow MIGHT help, but basicly once flow is adequate, more does nothing. It's like the difference sucking air through an old vacuum bag verses a new one. The difference being that 1/1000th of a HP difference in the actual force needed for SUCKING through the media. That is basicly nothing, in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back