Mobil One's "new" 15-50 and zddp levels

I've read the chart (http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf), and I still cannot determine exactly what Mobil 1 is correct for my '91 ZR-1. The chart shows only one 15-50 and it says it has a zddp level of 1200...which is what I need for my ZR-1's LT5 engine.

I have in my hands two containers of "new" Mobil 1 15-50 oil that I've been wanting to use for my next oil change. However, the container only shows an API rating of SM, SL/CF. This alone does not indicate it would carry any more than a zddp level of 800. Though it says "...and anti-wear for performance vehicles", it does not indicate anywhere if the zddp level is more than their normal SM,SL rated oil.

It also does not say anything about "extended life" or anything to do with "extended". It doesn't say what the "extra anti-wear protection" is.

So, my question is: is this the same 15-50 oil in the chart above, or is it just a 15-50 with the same 800 zddp levels as their other oils?????????????

The caps on the P/Zn levels of API GF-4 SM grade only apply to certain weights; 5w-xx, 10w-xx, 15w-50 not being one of them.

Despite the SM grade Mobil 1 15w-50 has an honest 1200 ppm zinc level.

Originally Posted By: dallas916
If you're right that's really good news for me. Is there some way for me to verify this??

Here is the Mobil oil product guide.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf

Independent VOA tests have also confirmed Mobil 1 15w-50 advertised specs.
Use it in good health.
thumbsup2.gif

I just realized that there are two pages to that guide, and that the 15-50 rates the same ZDDP levels whether it is "Extended Performance" or not.

Fantastic!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: dallas916
I just realized that there are two pages to that guide, and that the 15-50 rates the same ZDDP levels whether it is "Extended Performance" or not.

Fantastic!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My understanding is the latest silver cap 15w-50 is a slightly different formulation and superior to the previous "Extended Performance" version.
Albeit with more or less the same ZDDP levels.

there is a standard set of rules that make certain viscosities exempt from the caps.

Whether or not the OE enforces those caps voluntarily on other products can only truly be determined by UOA, but some PDS might explain their formulation to some extent too.

JMH

The 15W50 silver cap oil is awesome stuff. I`ve been using it ever since it came out (used to use the 15W50 Extended Performance. Used it for about 4 years). I use it year round and it`s the best out of the various oils I`ve tried.

So M-1 15w50 Extended Performance used to exist, but as of now (2021) does not exist any more?

The 15w50 advanced synthetic, with the little red label replaced it? (To make matters worse,
I see 2 different 15w-50 packaging, one is all silver, the other has red highlights).
The silver labeled one says "Protects for 10,000 miles, guaranteed"
and the other one does not. I was at Wallymart today and seen these 2 different labeled bottles next to each other.
Was not sure which one to pick. Is one of them new/reformulated? Or they are the same?

I am confused.

I am just asking a question that is still relevant. I am hoping someone answers. No harm done.

Of course I did ask Mobile-1.

From the looks of it the 15w50 "extended" went away, got folded into the current 15w50. Per the Mobil-1 site, they only have a single version of this now. Some people, myself included look for answers using the search feature. A thread is indeed a conversation on a topic, but also a repository of useful information. So I do not view it as a sin top post new questions or new info to an old thread. Perhaps I am wrong.

I did not realize it was a faux pas to post to an old thread. If the admin/community feels strongly that people should not post to a thread, I think there is way to shut off posting. Are you guys suggesting it is wrong to post an useful answer here?

It is not wrong, just somewhat unusual to post to an ancient thread.

We generally suggest starting a new thread and making reference to the old thread by Linking back to the old URL.

Back