Mecedes SLK 230 oil weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
I been hearing too many rumors that you can use 0w20 5w20 0w40 5w40 and i'm not sure which one to use. I just want to use the proper oil weight and is recommended by the manufacture spec. According to my owners mannual they didn't tell me the oil weights. and idea? I assume it's 5w40 since thats the only European Formulated by Amsoil.

MB 229.5 spec. 5W-30 is preferred but any 0/5W-40 will do too.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
you are best to use an SAE40 oil in this motor

Amsoil's Euro Formula 5w-40 is Approved by Mercedes Benz

I use M1 0w-40 in mine

Regards
Doug
I been hearing on some Mercedes Forums they stated usung Amsoil damage Catalyic Converters to me things don't add up.

Originally Posted By: importkid1
I been hearing on some Mercedes Forums they stated usung Amsoil damage Catalyic Converters to me things don't add up.

Some people just say stuff against Amsoil with zero proof. I fail to see why Amsoil 5W-40 would damage a catalytic converter. It's a low SAPS and LOW phosphorous (P) oil. Just sounds like crazy talk. Some people just run everything together with no connecting logic - Amsoil does produce SOME high P oils (as many oil companies do) THAT is a good thing! The truly ironic thing is, the same people who used to bash Amsoil for high P oils, now want it for their "flat tappet" cars.

Do you have a link?

The only think I've read about the European car makers and tests is that they don't like oxidation which leads to oil thickening.

Amsoil 5w-40 is a very good oil and has SM levels of ZDP.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Some people just say stuff against Amsoil with zero proof. I fail to see why Amsoil 5W-40 would damage a catalytic converter. It's a low SAPS and LOW phosphorous (P) oil. Just sounds like crazy talk. Some people just run everything together with no connecting logic - Amsoil does produce SOME high P oils (as many oil companies do) THAT is a good thing! The truly ironic thing is, the same people who used to bash Amsoil for high P oils, now want it for their "flat tappet" cars.

Do you have a link?
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1348579-slk230-50k-100k-miles-maintenience-guide-4.html

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Do you have a link?
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1348579-slk230-50k-100k-miles-maintenience-guide-4.html
http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-32530.html

Is this really the case? Actually approved, or just meeting?

My wife is buying a VW rabbit. It is on order from Germany, and will be a while, but Im already thinking about oils :)

I know that no Amsoil products are actually VW 502 or 505 approved with a letter from VAG. This doesnt scare me... but it would be very interesting to note in some of the VW forum arguments that it is actually MB approved, if this is the case. if so, that is huge.

Id be more inclined to believe that it "meets" the 229.x specs, not is formally approved. Again, not that it scares me.

And while Im on the topic, is the Amsoil euro 5w-40 TRULY a low or Mid-SAPS oil? One place I read that amsoil combats theneed to go lower than necessary in terms of SAPS by ensuring that volatility is kept in check better than other basestocks and oils. That is plausible, but perhaps there canbe some chime-in.

Thanks,

JMH

Hi,
JMH - As I understand it Amsoil's European Car Formula 5w-40 lubricant is MB229.51 compliant and Approved by MB. It is deemed to be a Low Ash lubricant and as such (via MB229.51 compliance) is a longer life version of the MB229.31 compliant lubricants

As stated earlier I use M1 0w-40 in my Benz (I would normally use Delvac 1 5w-40) and I'll continue to do so. This is based on my experience based on the excellent results obtained from M1 0w-40 by both Mercedes Benz and Porsche in this country where it is used in all their engine families

I also use M1 0w-40 in a 2002 series VW Golf I own - it has been on it since new

Last edited:
delvac 1 is what our MB diesels use (w123 and w210). Ive run M1 0w-40 in my 04 saab 9-3, but will be moving to Amsoil SSO 0w-30 for an interval. For our rabbit (golf), we shall see... Im liking the amsoil, but i do have some M1 0w-40 in my stock...

Thanks,

JMH

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Is this really the case? Actually approved, or just meeting?

My wife is buying a VW rabbit. It is on order from Germany, and will be a while, but Im already thinking about oils :)

I know that no Amsoil products are actually VW 502 or 505 approved with a letter from VAG. This doesnt scare me... but it would be very interesting to note in some of the VW forum arguments that it is actually MB approved, if this is the case. if so, that is huge.

Id be more inclined to believe that it "meets" the 229.x specs, not is formally approved. Again, not that it scares me.

And while Im on the topic, is the Amsoil euro 5w-40 TRULY a low or Mid-SAPS oil? One place I read that amsoil combats theneed to go lower than necessary in terms of SAPS by ensuring that volatility is kept in check better than other basestocks and oils. That is plausible, but perhaps there canbe some chime-in.

Thanks,

JMH

A quick check of the AMSoil website doesn't show that the euro formula is approved that I can see. AMSoil recommend it but that's not the same thing. Having said that, I don't put much stock in "approved" oils either and run AMSoil in my Lexus even though "technically" it doesn't have the API "licence"

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/afl.aspx

right... merely semantics. Ive heard too much good about this oil not to run it.. and I like the idea that it is a tad bit thinner than the other "euro 5w-40" flavors available from other manufacturers.

Thanks,

JMH

Originally Posted By: orlzx6r
Here is a link to all Officially approved MB oils. Amsoil is not on the list, however I would not hesitate to use it.

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/oil.html

Huh?

Quote:
MB sheet 229.51 approved oils; low ash long life
Mercedes pioneered this new spec for passenger cars with diesel engines with exhaust particulate filters, and gasoline engines, and longer service life than the 229.31 oils. The spec was introduced in 2005. Change intervals increased to 20,000 kilometers. Based on ACEA A3 B4 and C3.

Amsoil European Car Formula 5W-40

Guys,

I saw a TSB from MB which they stated that an Amsoil product was approved. Don't remember if the product made the 229.51 or just the 229.5 spec, but pretty sure it was the Euro formula.

I have a pile of printed TSBs stored away, and I'll check to see if I still have that one and post the info here.

Regards,
paul...

Hi,
importkid1 - As stated earlier you could simply use M1 0w-40 - it has all of the required MB Approvals, it is a MB Factory fill and it is available. It is a very sophisticated and modern lubricant!

The International results from using this lubricant in both MB and Porsche vehicles alone over many years now are quite outstanding!

Originally Posted By: paul_e320
Guys,

I saw a TSB from MB which they stated that an Amsoil product was approved. Don't remember if the product made the 229.51 or just the 229.5 spec, but pretty sure it was the Euro formula.

I have a pile of printed TSBs stored away, and I'll check to see if I still have that one and post the info here.

Regards,
paul...

Sorry..... I checked my TSB pile and I didn't print out the one that added the Amsoil Euro to the MB approved oil list.

I do have Castrol Syntec Euro Formula (229.5) 0W30 (TSB Dec 9, 2004), Mobil 1 ESP (229.51) 5W40 (TSB Apr 13,2006), Valvoline SynPower (229.51)5W30 (TSB Jun 1, 2006), and ELF Excellium (229.3 ) 5w40 & 0W30, Excellium (229.5) 5W30 (TSB Jul 21,2004.

I got these back in the days when alldatadiy had them on their site and anyone could view/download the TSBs. I think alldata figured out that this stuff is copyrighted material and the free viewing is gone.

Regards,
paul...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back