High detergent 5W-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering if any particular 5W-30 oil, not a synthetic blend or synthetic, has a higher detergency level than most others.

I know that I could get 10W-30 HDEO but when it is time to change oil in the spring, it will still be on the cool side and I would much rather run a 5W oil.

More info needed on your objective. Are you trying to keep the engine clean? Clean a dirty engine? Use a high TBN oil to keep acids neutralized?

I want to use an oil with extra detergent when running AutoRX to act as a "booster" to help act as a dispersant for anything the AutoRX loosens up during the treatment and aid in the process, as well as during the cleaning phase for the additional dispersant properties. I know it should be fine without, but I don't think it could really do any damage either (unless someone has something to alert me of.)

I am using a Wix filter right now for the higher flow characteristics (no block heater and wintertime), I normally use a PureONE but I am considering using an upsized Amsoil EaO during the AutoRX treatment to have greater filter capacity as well as the better flow rate for if it does start to fill up.

I don't know of any non-synthetic or non-syn-blend 5W-30 oils that have clearly higher than average detergency. A good 10W-30 HDEO would, as you said, but you want a 5W-30.

Like stated above, your best bet is probably Mobil Clean 5000.

And just stick with the Wix filter for the clean phase. No need to waste $$ on the EaO. Save the Amsoil stuff for after the rinse phase...

Here is an option, 5-30 XD3 Esso dino, HDEO, -36C pour point, tbn of 12.2, visc at 100C is 11, CG-4/Sh, diesel/gas rated, good oil, I used this dino oil for breakin in winter on new Nissan X-trail before using the XD3 0-30 syn to this day, lots detergent and good starting cold if that is what U are looking for. U can get it at Esso bulk stations, maybe UFA, they sell XD3 syn and dino in thieir own UFA bottling.

Cyprs

Originally Posted By: drewjp

Seconded. It does a great job at a great price.

Mobil Clean 5000 can't be had in Canada as far as I can tell unless I special order it at an Esso bulk plant, and even then they would say why do you want that when there are cases of Extra in stock for the same price.

I was thinking the XD-3 5W-30 but want something that is SJ rated preferably. I think so far, I am looking for a product that doesn't exist.

Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
Originally Posted By: drewjp

Seconded. It does a great job at a great price.

I third that, I don't have my UOA back yet, but I'd say it's done a good job at smoothing out an old Saturn I have w/115k miles on it.

Petro-Canada says their Supreme line (except for the Supreme 5W-20) has extra detergency. I know Patman is sort of iffy on this oil, but for normal OCIs it should be OK. Good specs too, and since the MSDS says it has a "mixture of severely hydrotreated and hydrocracked base oil" there may be some Gp III floating around in there as well.

I know I seem like a P-C fan (I am) but it may be worth a look.

G.

Castrol GTX dino tends to have about 2000-2400 ppm of Calcium detergent, which is much higher than the 1600-1800 ppm's most other dino's have. Its cheap and easy to get, and in fact, at one point, it was the dino that Frank 'recommended' to go with Auto-RX...I'd go with that.

I was thinking GTX but wasn't sure if the detergency was just marketing about "sludge-busting" or if it was actually different.

What is the calcium concentration like in HDEO...wait I just looked at the XD-3 PDS and it says 2360 ppm calcium in the 5W-30 and 10W-30.

The other grades are 3760 ppm calcium.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back